USC: which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VienneseWaltz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the only one who cares about this (zipping up anti-flame suit), but for the sake of clarity, it would be helpful to some people if threads about "USC" specified which one--University of South Carolina or University of Southern California. I withdrew from the former but am still interested in any discussions about it, and I didn't apply to the latter and wish to avoid reading those threads. Cheers. :)

Members don't see this ad.

dude, i don't think that if you accidentally read a thread pertaining to southern california you're going to die. you wasted more time posting your 'concern' than it was probably worth. nonetheless, i will humor you.... and then eat your children.

p

I think most (if not all) of those posts refer to University of Southern California. This one's official name is USC (logo wise I guess). I am not sure if the other one goes by USC - does it???

X

Members don't see this ad :)
The university of south carolina is THE USC. seriously, there was a big stink about this maybe 5-10 years ago since south carolina goes by USC. South carolina is much older than so. cal, and after all the dust settled it was decided that carolina would put THE USC to distinguish between the two schools. as far as anyone on this board knowing or using that i've never seen it. anyway, just imparting my knowledge since i'm happy to be going to THE USC school of medicine next year. lol
streetdoc

Originally posted by streetdoc
The university of south carolina is THE USC. seriously, there was a big stink about this maybe 5-10 years ago since south carolina goes by USC. South carolina is much older than so. cal, and after all the dust settled it was decided that carolina would put THE USC to distinguish between the two schools. as far as anyone on this board knowing or using that i've never seen it. anyway, just imparting my knowledge since i'm happy to be going to THE USC school of medicine next year. lol
streetdoc

Yea! Congrats. I went to Univ. SC for undergrad. I interviewed there for med school and was really surprised by how much I liked it. Withdrew, though, because I moved to NC a couple of years ago.

Of course, there's more controversy in NC, as both UNC and USC refer to themselves as "Carolina."

Anyway, X, USC pretty much goes by USC. And just to show how many out-of-towners are at Duke, if I say that I went to USC for undergrad, people respond, "Wow, you're far from home."

In my 2.5 years on SDN (I think that is how long) only once have I come across a post that I thought was for Southern California but was actually South Carolina.

Since I just graduated from USC or the University of South Carolina a month ago, and since I will be attending the University of South Carolina School of Medicine for the next four years, I thought I would throw in that our USC has been around since before Cali was even established as a state, decades before the Gold Rush that spurred any interest in the land at all. Now, I am not saying anything bad about Cali. I am just saying that our USC was one of the nation's first institutions of higher learning. However, I do feel I must be proper in nong that U of So. Cal's College of Medicine is 92 or so years older than our School of Medicine. We were just waiting for it to be made right. And by the way, just think about how many more people there are living in Cali than there is in S. Carolina. So therefore, common sense tells us there are far more Cali med students and more would probably be on SDN than from S. Carolina. But just because there are more people in LA, Cali, or So. Cal, that doesn't make those places any better than on Sunny South Carolina. Also, think about the state abbreviation for our state, SC. U of SC or USC would naturally be our school abbrevaition then, and for many many years now. Common sense. Side note: USC SOM is a much less research-oriented and a much more academics-oriented medical school. Being in the South adds a great deal of personability and congeniality to the faculty and staff, as well as the students. Might I add that the small class size and the care of the professors for your learning makes USC SOM a great place to get a medical education. You can tell that even when comparing USC SOM and the Medical University of South Carolina. Also, take a look at USC SOM's success rates on Steps 1 and 2 USMLE. They are in the top most tier in comparison with most other schools.

wow...did i just read an ad?

Hmmm. Well, maybe I haven't been around since 1801, but I AM a 5th generation San Franciscan (about as far back as you can go), and I do know not to refer to California as "Cali".

Not tryin' to flame, just a huge pet peeve that has been exacerbated by time on SDN. :)

USC SOM is a great school. I spent the day there in the OPPA's "Student for a Day" program. It is my top choice not because it's MD but because it's 30 minutes from friends and family. Unfortunately, the entering class size is very, very small.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.