Uscap 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor B.

Slappin' That Glass
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what did everyone think of USCAP this year? I really enjoyed the housestaff forum Sunday night. Chris Fletcher was very amusing ("some surgeons are just flaming a**holes!") and the presentations were excellent. I wasn't too keen on how spread out things were in SA but the weather was outstanding...as was the Shiner Bock.

Members don't see this ad.

Darn you! I knew you were registered, but had no idea how to find you. I didn't have a housestaff ribbon (obviously), but I did pick up Fletcher's handouts... and I quote:

Q: What qualities are you looking for when recruiting junior faculty in academic AP?
A: "Willing to do anything"

The weather, apart from Day 1 which involved me soaking up rain like a sponge, was gorgeous.

See other San Antonio thread

I don't know about you, but the best part of my trip was sitting down by the Riverwalk with a resident and 4 attendings for dinner. Wine and conversation flowed freely and we talked religion politics gender and (im)migration for 3 hours. Scintillating!

I'm curious about USCAP, too. Did anyone ask about me?

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
Darn you! I knew you were registered, but had no idea how to find you. I didn't have a housestaff ribbon (obviously), but I did pick up Fletcher's handouts... and I quote:

Q: What qualities are you looking for when recruiting junior faculty in academic AP?
A: "Willing to do anything"

The weather, apart from Day 1 which involved me soaking up rain like a sponge, was gorgeous.

See other San Antonio thread

I don't know about you, but the best part of my trip was sitting down by the Riverwalk with a resident and 4 attendings for dinner. Wine and conversation flowed freely and we talked religion politics gender and (im)migration for 3 hours. Scintillating!

Sorry I missed you! I think next year we should organize a meetup in New Orleans. It'd be cool to meet some of the faces behind the names.

Was Yaah there? I saw someone who vaguely resembled the picture I'd seen but I couldn't be for certain.

Doctor B. said:
Sorry I missed you! I think next year we should organize a meetup in New Orleans. It'd be cool to meet some of the faces behind the names.

Was Yaah there? I saw someone who vaguely resembled the picture I'd seen but I couldn't be for certain.

No, I was not there. But I am curious about my doppelganger.

I was stuck with the room I duty this month and it would have been tough to get off to go. I figure I will have more opportunities later on.

Doctor B. said:
I think next year we should organize a meetup in New Orleans. It'd be cool to meet some of the faces behind the names.
Definitely! I can arrange that, I think. Shouldn't be too much trouble, provided we are all still posting here a year from now.

Apparently there is this place with deep-fried Po' boys... :D

deschutes said:
Definitely! I can arrange that, I think. Shouldn't be too much trouble, provided we are all still posting here a year from now.

Apparently there is this place with deep-fried Po' boys... :D
I sincerely hope that a lot of us will continue to post. At least to let each other know how things are going wherever we end up. :)

I am still having a good time here in San Antonio. Anyone see Vincent DiMaio's gunshot wound lecture? FABULOUS! We definitely should get together at New Orleans...

Mindy

Yeah I feel jealous about not being able to go to USCAP this year. I like these big conferences although at times, the schedule can seem overwhelming since there are so many options of things to attend. I used to go to ASCB every year and looked forward to it too. It was fun meeting research collaborators, competitors, and old friends and catching up about personal stuff or talking shop. I can imagine the USCAP being the same...meeting fellow residents across the country and meeting some of the big names in the various subspecialties of pathology. I will therefore try my best to have my schedule allow for my attendance at the next USCAP meeting. I agree, it would be awesome to meet the people behind the names here.

I'd like to thank everyone for not asking me questions NO premed could answer. :thumbup: I think the hardest question I got about my poster was how do you distinguish papillary type I from papillary type II kidney tumors.

Couple of observations, this meeting was my first with manily clinicians and it was very, very different than those I've attended that consisted primarily basic scientists. I hate to say this, but the "clinician" meeting was a little "stuffier" than the non-clinical oriented meetings I've attended. EVERYONE had on either black or blue so I'm sure I stood out with a blended wool suit of burgandy, pink, and black and being one of only ~10 African Americans there too. :confused:

Movin' on, San Antonio was so nice I'm planning to take a family trip there in the next few months!

See you guys in Nor'leans!

This was my first USCAP as well and it was indeed a bit more formal that I thought it'd be. I felt underdressed without a jacket and tie! I didn't have any posters or platforms so it was not very stressful. Still, I had my fill of path stuff after a few days and was glad the weather was conducive to exploring the Riverwalk.

Missed DiMaio's lecture but a friend went and really enjoyed it.

I found this interesting. During Chris Fletcher's talk at the housestaff meeting Sunday night, he said that there are plenty of jobs in pathology and that the whole bit a few years ago about there being no jobs in path was totally bogus. Not sure if he was referring to primarily academic path (I think he meant in both academics and private practice) but still that is encouraging!

Doctor B. said:
This was my first USCAP as well and it was indeed a bit more formal that I thought it'd be. I felt underdressed without a jacket and tie!
I completely agree. I mean, it was Sunday before the meeting proper and everyone was walking around in a suit. It seemed like people rapidly dressed down after the weekend though. I thought it would've been the reverse.

1Path I empathize with you - I asked my research supervisor every single question I could think of pre-emptively, and still got diagnosis-type questions I couldn't answer.

I really liked Rosai's take on thyroid follicular lesions and the soft tissue tumours. It seemed like many others did too! People would flock in just for him and leave immediately after.

deschutes said:
I really liked Rosai's take on thyroid follicular lesions and the soft tissue tumours. It seemed like many others did too! People would flock in just for him and leave immediately after.

Didn't hear Rosai, but he's always popular. Not really with me, though. Honestly, I have real difficulty understanding him. Don't know if it's just my bad hearing, but it DOES put a damper on the enjoyment.

He does sound a whole lot more Italian than I originally expected! :)

Where's that Poh ppl thread? I'm so poh I walked the 6 blocks to the convention centre to get in line for free Internet...

Italian???? I hope not. That would make 'im 'otally unn'teligable. He's Argentinian, thus speaking Spanish. If he's started adding Italian to the mix, I will need to flee the scene with my 23 pounds worth of Ackerman's Pathology.

My bad. I saw "Milan" and assumed. It wasn't an accent I was familiar with.

Why didn't you order online and have it shipped free? I was told the books at the exhibition weren't all that cheap in comparison!

Nope. Got 10% but could probably get that online too. What I COULDN'T get online was a personal dedication from one of the authors.

Yes, I am vain... :)

How many people hooked up with residents from other programs at USCAP?

Be honest, youre completely anonymous here...I know, I know, she/he looked really hot after those 5 beers at the Hemepath society mixer.....just tell the truth.

The truth will set you free...

The only thing I thought was crazier than USCAP sexual hijinks, was the board review courses....1 week+hotel+stressed residents= :love:

A little true board review story, hotel in LA, Osler and I sat next to this wacky European guy the whole week. He showed up smashed to every night session. So on the last night, announced he was holding a gynpath review session because he has supposedly done a fellowship in it. Well when 3 chicks and I showed up to his room, he was wearing something right out of Saturday Night Fever, serious hijinks ensued..... :D