Uscap 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's going/presenting a poster abstract? I am!

Members don't see this ad.

Who's going/presenting a poster abstract? I am!

Members don't see this ad :)
All right all right I was hoping I wouldn't look silly but it seems that I am. :laugh: But I'm just so honored to have LADoc share in my excitement!

*inappropriate GIF removed by DrMom*

I will be there.....oh yes...muhahahahahahahah

Dude you know there are readers who are going to find that GIF offensive.

I'll be in San Diego.

Yes but I laughed so hard when I saw it, I had to post it.

I received 1 SDN demerit. Soon my bathroom priveleges will be taken away.

PS-Deshcutes! why didnt you delete it in a stealthy fashion so the evil mods didnt find it. We pathologists have to stick together, the brotherhood and all.

Must say there are some pretty sweet places to go out in SD. In the Gas Lamp I would stick with the J Bar or the Side Bar, as they are slightly more "classy" but not as pretentious as many places in NYC. There are countless others to migrate to as your night degenerates into a drunken blur, but these two have probably a better "scene" (ie- hot women) than most. You can go to Pacific Beach and re-live your college days with $5 covers, underage girls, and ample places to get your groove on--recommend PB Bar and Grill (lots of talent there).

Mine is on monday. Same as last year. Was kind of hoping for later in the week, because if I want to stay for the educational stuff I have to be there all week now, and I'm not sure I can.... Oh well.

I received 1 SDN demerit. Soon my bathroom priveleges will be taken away.
Methinks it's time to learn to aim better.

jn060921-2-2.jpg

PS-Deshcutes! why didnt you delete it in a stealthy fashion so the evil mods didnt find it.
Well, why the hell didn't you say you wanted me to do something about it? I would have gladly kicked your butt AND given you the demerit. :p

Mine is on monday. Same as last year. Was kind of hoping for later in the week, because if I want to stay for the educational stuff I have to be there all week now, and I'm not sure I can.... Oh well.
The Fellowship Fair is on Sunday - I'll be manning a booth at that too.

I think a big bunch of us are going to be in the Monday slot - that's where they put the Stowell-Orbison contenders, not like I did anything award-worthy for my abstract :rolleyes:

I know, I think I shouldn't have agreed again to sign up for that award nomination. I think when you do they just give you a poster and don't really consider you for an oral abstract. I might be wrong though. Maybe I am just 2/2 in submitting ground breaking, exciting projects worthy of consideration for awards. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, I think I shouldn't have agreed again to sign up for that award nomination. I think when you do they just give you a poster and don't really consider you for an oral abstract. I might be wrong though. Maybe I am just 2/2 in submitting ground breaking, exciting projects worthy of consideration for awards. :rolleyes:

no no, you're correct. If you apply for the award, you're putting yourself up only for a poster, not a platform. What I'm not sure if and would like to know is if you send in your abstract applying for the award (and therefore are only eligible for the poster), is it possible to get accepted as a poster WITHOUT being considered for the award?? I'm wondering if others who applied for the award and got accepted (i.e. presenting monday morning) also got a generic "we are pleased to inform you that your abstract ha been selected for a Poster presentation in the Stowell-Orbison award blah blah blah" or did anyone apply for the award, get their abstract accepted, but are NOT presenting Monday morning (i.e. got accepted, but are not eligible for the award).

I'll be in SD in March also. See you guys there.

no no, you're correct. If you apply for the award, you're putting yourself up only for a poster, not a platform. What I'm not sure if and would like to know is if you send in your abstract applying for the award (and therefore are only eligible for the poster), is it possible to get accepted as a poster WITHOUT being considered for the award?? I'm wondering if others who applied for the award and got accepted (i.e. presenting monday morning) also got a generic "we are pleased to inform you that your abstract ha been selected for a Poster presentation in the Stowell-Orbison award blah blah blah" or did anyone apply for the award, get their abstract accepted, but are NOT presenting Monday morning (i.e. got accepted, but are not eligible for the award).

People in my program last year applied for the award but had their poster on thursday (i.e. not in the competition). At least, I think so. Maybe they only thought they applied for it though.

People in my program last year applied for the award but had their poster on thursday (i.e. not in the competition). At least, I think so. Maybe they only thought they applied for it though.

i'm sure you're correct. Phew, now i know getting that generic "your abstract ha been selected for a Poster presentation for xxx award..." means something; i'm probably 1/1000 instead of 1/10000. wow, i'm feeling so :luck:

i'm sure you're correct. Phew, now i know getting that generic "your abstract ha been selected for a Poster presentation for xxx award..." means something; i'm probably 1/1000 instead of 1/10000. wow, i'm feeling so :luck:

I have no idea how they pick the award winners either - I remember two of the posters that did win (I think they pick four winners) and one was a molecular-heavy paper that was indecipherable to my eyes, and another was a simple "stain tumors with an impox stain" paper that didn't seem to be that unique. Not sure how they pick the winners at all.

I remember two of the posters that did win (I think they pick four winners) and one was a molecular-heavy paper that was indecipherable to my eyes, and another was a simple "stain tumors with an impox stain" paper that didn't seem to be that unique.
What I can't remember is, do they re-display the winners somewhere?

What I can't remember is, do they re-display the winners somewhere?

I don't think so. You just get announced with the title of the poster at the meeting on the wednesday or thursday before the president speaks and the keynote speaker, etc, along with the other awards. Then you get a check and get your picture taken with somebody (maybe the president or educational director, I dunno). Then you go away. And then they start giving out other awards which sound more important and everyone forgets about the poster winners.

Anyone attending the CAP Residents' Forum at USCAP? I'll be there.

It's my first time, but I understand from previous attendees that the day's topics are useful and relevant e.g. boards prep info.

-------

Plan Now to Attend the CAP Spring Residents Forum

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?...tions.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

CAP@Your Service – February 2007

All residents are welcome to attend the next College of American Pathologists (CAP) Spring Residents Forum meeting, which will be held
on Saturday, March 24, 2007, at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in
San Diego, California.

Can't make it? Plan now to attend the Fall Residents Forum meeting on September 29, in conjunction with CAP '07—The Pathologists Meeting™ in magnificent Chicago.

Register for the Spring Residents Forum meeting on or before March 2
by contacting Jan Glas. You may also register by calling 800-323-4040, ext. 7499. Registering by the deadline will ensure that you receive your agenda book prior to the meeting.

Upcoming Schedule
Friday, March 23
9:00–10:30 pm Informal Networking Get-together for All Residents
Saturday, March 24
8:00–10:30 am Practice Makes Perfect? Finding, Surviving, and Thriving in Your First Job
11:00 am–Noon Residents Forum (RF) Meeting Session I
12:15–1:15 pm Breakout Session Luncheon
1:30–4:30 pm Residents Forum Meeting Session II
5:00–6:30 pm CAP Reception hosted by RF (Refreshments will be served)

What to do

* Plan now to attend.
* Register now for the Spring Residents Forum meeting.

Agenda Books
Residents Forum meeting agenda books will be sent in March to those
who have pre-registered for the RF meeting.

More Information
For complete information on the Spring RF meeting, visit the College's Web site.

Questions
If you have any questions or need more information about the meeting, e-mail Residents Forum staff member Jan Glas or call 800-323-4040 ext. 7499.

I have no idea how they pick the award winners either - I remember two of the posters that did win (I think they pick four winners) and one was a molecular-heavy paper that was indecipherable to my eyes, and another was a simple "stain tumors with an impox stain" paper that didn't seem to be that unique. Not sure how they pick the winners at all.

People! People! If you want to get ahead these days, you GOTTA include molecular stuff. It's easy.

Receipe:
1. Get a bunch of biopsies, or, better yet, cell lines.
2. Order a kit from one of the now countless companies that hawk such wares.
3. Clone kit.
4. Write up something.

...and you're done.

Of course, there's always the tried and true way. Only, it's been done ad nauseam:

"Gee, let's see what happens if we stain a GI tumor with S-100, or how 'bout using testis staining on a Spitz nevi? Whaddaya know? It's neither specific nor intelligent, but gee, now I've proven it scienticificially!!!! Yahoo..."

I don't think so. You just get announced with the title of the poster at the meeting on the wednesday or thursday before the president speaks and the keynote speaker, etc, along with the other awards. Then you get a check and get your picture taken with somebody (maybe the president or educational director, I dunno). Then you go away. And then they start giving out other awards which sound more important and everyone forgets about the poster winners.

IF they're gonna give me the Young Investigator Award I might want to attend. Otherwise, count me out. Actually have some stuff that'll be presented, but pawned it off on some of my glorious co-conspirators, err, sorry, co-investigators.

It's probably all about presentation. If you've got a GU topic, Mahul Amin or Epstein are probably going to stop by and throw some questions at you.

I'll be looking for LADoc at the ASCP Companion meeting.

...and for any TM posters out there, Amin might bring along his collegue, the aptly named Dr. Goldfinger. ;)

It's probably all about presentation. If you've got a GU topic, Mahul Amin or Epstein are probably going to stop by and throw some questions at you.

Well, I had some odd insight into this because one of the winners last year was right next to me. That didn't happen! There must be something though, maybe I just missed it. I mean, they talked to me too, so they must have.

Guess I should go pack since I fly out tomorrow. We're planning on hitting the clubs Saturday night. UMN for a party of 12!

Anybody know if I can make my poster tube carry-on?

You can carry it on. I think it's only a problem with international flights. At least, I carried on last year and it wasn't a problem.

I'll be there! I'll only be presenting one poster, but my name will be on two others as a collaborator.

So. I'd love to put faces to the people on here, but have no idea how I'm going to find any of you apart from yaah! I'll be at the Fellowship Fair, Fletcher's Housestaff conference and in the morning poster session (Poster 951, in case anyone wants to reference Mod Path). Will probably check SDN periodically.

Anyone interested in going paragliding/hang-gliding??

Did you ever go paragliding? The wind was near hurricane force on tuesday.

I am back from USCAP which was a good time. Around about tuesday morning I started to get tired of it, although I was privileged to witness a near brawl between two bigwigs during a platform presentation.

I am back from USCAP which was a good time. Around about tuesday morning I started to get tired of it, although I was privileged to witness a near brawl between two bigwigs during a platform presentation.

Who were the bigwigs dueling it out?

A certain urologic pathologist from JHU and a certain former academic urologic pathologist who started his own lab and named it after himself.

Gotcha.

Just wanted to make sure that none of our people went out there and stirred up trouble.

Well, someone streaked the fellowship fair with a Cavalier flag but everyone just seemed to laugh at that.

Nope. It cost $150-175 to do a tandem session, so I decided to save my money until I visited somewhere like New Zealand.

The week was a nice break from reality. Between all the booze and hitting up In-and-Out, my liver must be approaching foie gras state.

Tuesday was c-c-c-cold. Didn't stop someone from jumping into the water at Coronado though. At least the weather improved late in the week. The day after I left for SD, it was in the 80s here. Of course I get back now and it's cloudy and rainy for the next week.

A certain urologic pathologist from JHU and a certain former academic urologic pathologist who started his own lab and named it after himself.

The best thing about my poster presentation was that both those guys stopped by separately and liked it. So at least they agreed on something.

Other than that, man, what a drag. They should start serving beer during the poster presentation hours.

One has a last name beginning with B the other with E.

Right ???:cool:

people no one knows (or cares) whom you are...list 'em freaking out for those that weren't at the apparent scuffle. jeez!

Epstein, i'm guessing, and __??

people no one knows (or cares) whom you are...list 'em freaking out for those that weren't at the apparent scuffle. jeez!

Epstein, i'm guessing, and __??

wasnt there but my guess would be bostwick.

just logged on to uscap website to see meeting summary...scrolling down...
saw the list of Stowell-Orbison Awards...
Salah Alwaheeb
Alpha-Actinin-4 Defficient Mice Develop Focal and Segmental Glomerulosclerosis with Features of Collapsing Glomerulopathy
S Alwaheeb, JM Henderson, A Weins, SV Dandapani, MR Pollak, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA; Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Boston, MA

Sven Perner
TMPRSS2-ERG Fusion Prostate Cancer: An Early Molecular Event Associated with Invasion
S Perner, J-M Mosquera, F Demichelis, MD Hofer, PL Paris, J Simko, C Collins, TA Bismar, AM Chinnaiyan, AM De Marzo, MA Rubin, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany; Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA; University of California, San Francisco, CA; McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, QC, Canada; Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine & Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD; ITC-Irst, Povo (Trento), Italy; University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI

Stephan Schulz
Prevention of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease by Blocking T Cell Entry to Secondary Lymphoid Organs
S Schulz, A Beilhack, J Baker, G Beilhack, R Nishimura, G Landan, E Baker, EI Herman, EC Butcher, CH Contag, RS Negrin, Stanford University, Stanford, CA; Technical University Munich, Munich, Bavaria, Germany

Julie M. Wu
Heterogeneity of Breast Cancer Metastases: A Rapid Autopsy Study Using Matched Primary-Metastases Tissue Microarrays
JM Wu, M Halushka, D Molavi, J Fetting, NE Davidson, AM De Marzo, MJ Fackler, S Sukumar, P Argani , Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD

and i then realized that i had just read:
Dr. Henry Appelman (University of Michigan) served a distinguished and quite active term as President of the USCAP. He turned over the gavel and the Presidency to Dr. Chris Crum (Harvard: Brigham & Women's) as the new President of the Academy

just a coincidence that 2/4 winners are "haaaaahvard" folks? hmmm....:scared: :scared: :scared:

There are always conspiracy theories, like last year the Castleman award and the young investigator award both went to michigan people (as did one stowell orbison) and Appelman was the incoming president. I don't think they really have any weight. Some institutions just happen to be the ones from time to time.

just logged on to uscap website to see meeting summary...scrolling down...
saw the list of Stowell-Orbison Awards...
Salah Alwaheeb
Alpha-Actinin-4 Defficient Mice Develop Focal and Segmental Glomerulosclerosis with Features of Collapsing Glomerulopathy
S Alwaheeb, JM Henderson, A Weins, SV Dandapani, MR Pollak, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA; Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Boston, MA

Sven Perner
TMPRSS2-ERG Fusion Prostate Cancer: An Early Molecular Event Associated with Invasion
S Perner, J-M Mosquera, F Demichelis, MD Hofer, PL Paris, J Simko, C Collins, TA Bismar, AM Chinnaiyan, AM De Marzo, MA Rubin, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany; Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA; University of California, San Francisco, CA; McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, QC, Canada; Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine & Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD; ITC-Irst, Povo (Trento), Italy; University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI

Stephan Schulz
Prevention of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease by Blocking T Cell Entry to Secondary Lymphoid Organs
S Schulz, A Beilhack, J Baker, G Beilhack, R Nishimura, G Landan, E Baker, EI Herman, EC Butcher, CH Contag, RS Negrin, Stanford University, Stanford, CA; Technical University Munich, Munich, Bavaria, Germany

Julie M. Wu
Heterogeneity of Breast Cancer Metastases: A Rapid Autopsy Study Using Matched Primary-Metastases Tissue Microarrays
JM Wu, M Halushka, D Molavi, J Fetting, NE Davidson, AM De Marzo, MJ Fackler, S Sukumar, P Argani , Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD

and i then realized that i had just read:
Dr. Henry Appelman (University of Michigan) served a distinguished and quite active term as President of the USCAP. He turned over the gavel and the Presidency to Dr. Chris Crum (Harvard: Brigham & Women's) as the new President of the Academy

just a coincidence that 2/4 winners are "haaaaahvard" folks? hmmm....:scared: :scared: :scared:

I don't know about conspiracy theories, but your creative use of fonts made that almost impossible to read.

I don't know about conspiracy theories, but your creative use of fonts made that almost impossible to read.

the whole freakin' point were the highlighted areas...no one gives a rat's ass about the other names. And no, as alluded to accurately by Yaah, i'm not suggest some sorta theory, just pointing out the obvious. Didn't realize a similar thing happened last year regarding Michigan.

the whole freakin' point were the highlighted areas...no one gives a rat's ass about the other names.

I was making a comment about it being illegible (yeah, some of us do read all the words). And who gives 2 sh*ts anyway?