Use AP physics C credit or just take Physics 1?

Started by paul2752
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

paul2752

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have AP Physics C -mechanics credit so it fulfills Physics 1 req in our school.

Howver I have heard divided opinions about whether I should take the class; some told me I should, some told me I don't need to because physics isn't in MCAT?

What would you recommend me to do?
Thanks
 
I have AP Physics C -mechanics credit so it fulfills Physics 1 req in our school.

Howver I have heard divided opinions about whether I should take the class; some told me I should, some told me I don't need to because physics isn't in MCAT?

What would you recommend me to do?
Thanks
I took Physics B and Physics C Mech/E&M and 5'd all 3 tests. If I had to do college over again, I'd just take the easy A in the weeder physics courses to pad my sGPA. This is especially important if your school only uses AP scores for credit/placement and not grades since you basically get to take harder classes without any GPA buffer.
 
I believe some medical schools only accept AP credit if you take another upper-level class in the same discipline (for example, using AP Bio credit and then taking upper level bio classes like immunology/whatever to satisfy the 8 hours of bio requirement). As the person above said, I just retook the class for the easy A and to be safe on the prerequisites. It also came up more than I expected on the MCAT.
 
Agree with lilmadge. So if you take physics 2, it won't matter. I think if you are really solid in physics 1, you don't need to take it. But if you get a bad grade in physics 2, it's gonna put you in a worse situation. Physics is a really small portion of the new mcat though, 5%ish I think?