Use of cleanup gloves at Penn Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbideconnect

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is an email that was sent around Penn dental from administration:

Nitrile gloves are now available in the basement store. You will all be supplied with one pair of gloves. When that pair is no longer serviceable a second pair will be issued. After the second pair you will be responsible for replacements.

These gloves are MANDATORY for:
1- All clean up after patient treatment.
2- Transportation of contaminated instruments/cassettes for sterilization.

After each use these gloves should be washed with warm water and antimicrobial soap and pat dry with a clean paper towel, spray them with an SDM approved surface disinfectant, and then store them in a closed plastic bag/container for subsequent use. Zip locked bags will be provided.

This is being done with your safety in mind. The greatest number of “needle sticks” occur during the clean up operation after treating patients. Nitrile gloves are much more resistant to punctures than regular exam gloves. Please do your part to prevent needle sticks.

----

So we have to keep a special pair of gloves exclusively for chair cleanup...and we have to keep these gloves and wash them every day. Is this done anywhere else? Is it a tactic that is proven to reduce needlesticks?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you joking? That's rediculous. Here at U of M you used to have to have a doctor's note to use nitrile gloves as they are more expensive than latex. In the next few months though, the entire school is switching over to nitrile gloves for everything. In oral surgery and hospital dentistry they have been using all nitrile for quite some time.

Reusing gloves should never be done...

This is like saying they will provide you with 1 condom and you must rinse it out and reuse it everytime.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You never want to reuse gloves. they are designed to be 1 time use for a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
at least they're not reusing gloves on patients.

Gloves should not be reused! Washing them makes them weaker. I would talk to the president of your class, or the dean directly. That is ridiculous! It would be wiser to spend money on needle stick protectors. (The square pieces of cardboard.) Then properly educate everyone on correct handling and disposal. I'm more concerned about vinyl tearing while in a patient's mouth. If you jab a needle into either glove while cleaning, it's going to go through.

Nah... they are talking about those heavy-duty nitrile utility gloves. Wake up! people :D :D :D

Nah... they are talking about those heavy-duty nitrile utility gloves. Wake up! people :D :D :D

Oh, you mean those really, really thick ones that you could never even use on a patient? If so, then I guess I don't have a problem with that. But I would still rather have normal gloves and practice better technique.

Oh, you mean those really, really thick ones that you could never even use on a patient? If so, then I guess I don't have a problem with that. But I would still rather have normal gloves and practice better technique.

It's an OSHA bloodborne pathogen safety standard
(OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard (29 CFR Part 1910.1030)) as mandated by the "needlestick safety and prevention act". You have to have documented safety standards in your dental office to limit employee exposure to bloodborne pathogens....as in using the puncture resistant utility gloves to carry cassettes back for sterilization.
Does everybody do it in private practice? Of course not...probably only when OSHA makes a visit. The school is just getting you ready for these little things that go into running a practice.....but its also just good ol' infection control.

just wondering squidlife.. did you make up that law ?? if it is a real # i am very impressed ;)

Guys, they are talking about using utility gloves for cubicle cleanup, not patient exam/procedure gloves. It is perfectly appropriate to wash and reuse this type of glove for this purpose. It is likely to prevent needle sticks during cleanup. Its a good policy for dental schools to protect the students.

5319.jpg

maybe these??