Use of old tests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evescadeceus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a delicate topic, and as a new member, I've been hesitant to post this. I've been sort of internally debating whether or not I should post, and I've finally decided to take a chance. First, let me preface my remarks by saying that I am no angel. I've benefited from old tests in the past. But I don't like the idea of having to depend on them in the future. I'm really wondering if you med school folks could tell me how big a role the use of old tests plays in improving performance on tests in med school classes?

I've discovered that it plays a pretty big role at the school where I am doing my premeds, particularly in the more difficult classes like biochemistry, which I'm currently taking. A lot of people have dropped out of my biochem class, but of those who remain, a significant number apparently have obtained a complete set of quizzes and even the midterm from someone who took the class before them. It?s a cliquey group this time, and nobody is sharing. This happened before in one of my organic chemistry classes, but old versions of tests were pretty much passed around to everyone, so there was more equity involved.

You would think the test banks would be large enough that having access to an old test wouldn't make that much of a difference. When several different versions of a test from different quarters are available, however, you do end up with exposure to a significant portion of the test bank before an exam.

Biochemistry is really very hard. I've put so much work into that class that my grade in physics has suffered. And as disappointing as it is, I am going to have to withdraw from biochemistry and retake the class next quarter, because I don't want to show med schools a "C" in biochem and I simply can't compete against people with old tests who have decided not to share (our overall course grades are curved).

Even more disappointing: someone who heads up the premed club just sent out an email asking how far along we are in applying to the major medical school in this city. Since this student has cornered the biochem test market, the intent behind the email seems a little ominous.

I know this post sounds rather gossipy, and I realize my resentment and frustration could make my motive for posting seem rather suspect. And I also realize that using old tests isn't going to make a difference if you haven't learned enough material to do well on the mcat, and the boards. But I would really like to know if this has been an issue for you in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

My school uses old tests for everything. Every person gets a big sib who passes you down a test file. This year, however, my class made an online test file. It's just a website with links to the past 3 or 4 years' tests per class. I don't see the big deal in this, it's practically expected. We have no curve and get letter grades so you are only hurting yourself if you don't study from them. Most of the professors expect you to look at them, also.

Not here, the reason being that Temple's AMSA chapter produces a book containing four year's worth of old exams for each semester. :) You have to purchase the book, but everyone has equal access to this material.

Unfortunately the course was revamped for biochem so I'm actually finding it frustrating to go through these exams now! There's only a limited pool of questions in each one covering the current subject material. I think physio should be better though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school prepares an exam pack for each class that includes old tests. It was invaluable.

I also benefited from old tests in undergrad. One of my econ professors used the exact same exams that were on file in the library. I felt so guilty about it that I told him his old tests were available - he said he already knew. That surprised me, but students who bothered to look over the reserved readings were in a much better position than those that didn't. Come to think of it, I still feel a little guilty about it.

My school also makes available all the old tests from the last 3 years in two of the courses. Everyone has them and we all use them to help gauge our studying and as a review towards the ened.

later

I've run into this problem in undergrad. I have no problem with the use of old tests as long as they are available to everyone. Most professors know the tests are out there so they wouldn't pose the same questions. It does give you an idea of what the professor thinks is important and wheter or not you know the material well enough.

To the OP - If you are being graded on a curve than you should just ask this group of students for a copy. Have you actually done this or have they just failed to knock down your door woth the old tests. I can't think of many people that would feel right about placing higher on a curve by wihtholding resources from other students. If this entire group is really a bunch of competitive, petty, gunners, then try to find someone who took the class last year. Or you might try just asking the professor. I have done this several times and most professors were glad to let me look over an old test or tell me where I could find them. I hope this helps. Sorry I can only give you an undergrad opinion.

We have all the old tests from the last four years for all of our courses put on a CD rom and handed out at the beginning of the year to all new students. Additionally someone in our class posted the whole CD on the web just in case you lost your CD or it was damaged.

Old tests are fantastic to study from and most professors know that they are out there.

Is it true that Robert Wood Johnson has an AMSA text of old exams. Does UMDNJ Newark have an "old exam" service for all subjects?

Many med schools officially make exams universally available to students, and most of the course instructors I've run into encourage students to look at old exams. Ask where to get them at whatever school you end up going to. If it is not mentioned, ask the professor directly, or ask your "big brother/sister" students in years above you how exams are obtained. Usually they are not underhanded and usually anyone can get a copy.

At OHSU, you're given a "university sanctioned" old exam at the beginning of each class, but that's it. Old exams aren't really floating around because you're not given your exams back. (You get an opportunity to review your test in the presence of a proctor, but you have to give it back.) This is due to the fact that the faculty want to create question banks from which they can draw, without needing to write entirely new exams every year. I suppose folks could run home after the test and write down as many questions as they remember, but I haven't heard of anybody doing this.