Used bmw m5 vs infiniti m56

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been saddened because of the needed purchase of a minivan. I need to balance out the yin with some yang.

Which should it be?

If I had my druthers Id get a nissan GTR. A bit too techy looking but it will eat the guts out of anything else out there.

m56 has 417hp...

Members don't see this ad.

11_1600x1200_bmw_f10m.jpg

Ive been saddened because of the needed purchase of a minivan. I need to balance out the yin with some yang.

Which should it be?

If I had my druthers Id get a nissan GTR. A bit too techy looking but it will eat the guts out of anything else out there.

m56 has 417hp...

An M5 has 560hp. Ouch.:)

Also, I'd take a German luxury car over a Japanese any day...

But then again, I just saw that you said used. BMWs become a money sinkhole not too long after their nice 4 year warranty expires.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But then again, I just saw that you said used. BMWs become a money sinkhole not too long after their nice 4 year warranty expires.

I have a 2003 330i ZHP, got it in 09 with ~80k mi, currently has 126k mi on it. Hasn't been a pit money for me, mainly routine maintenance type stuff. Maybe I have been lucky so far.

Which should it be?

m56 has 417hp...

Heh.

In 2002 we bought a minivan ... and an M3. The minivan served its purpose during the little kid years, and we got rid of it a few months ago. Still have the M3, now has 130,000+ miles on it, still awesome. My daily driver for 10+ years now. I might keep it until the wheels fall off.

Here's a vote for the M.

Although ... if you've got the minivan ... why get the 4-door M?

Which should it be?

m56 has 417hp...

Venty,

KINDA went thru your same thought process a cuppla years ago.

Figured out I'd stay with the SUV/TRUCK vibe, but that's just me, man.

I SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED BUYING A BMW...albeit a used one.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING A BMW, HEAR ME OUT SINCE I'VE ALREADY THOUGHT THIS OUT SINCE I ALMOST BOUGHT ONE...

OK.

Let's all all agree that my coming-forth opinions are completely materialistic which means they are on a value scale close to nothing. I'll continue, tho, since I am a Redneck From Florida.

VENTY, IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING A BMW, THERE'S ONLY ONE CHOICE MAN.

THE SEVEN SERIES.

Cuppla years ago I considered buying one... FYI,

ONE OF THE BEST BUYS IN THE LUXURY DEPT ON THE MARKET IS A USED SEVEN SERIES BMW. TWO YEARS OLD.

If you are i the market for a luxury car and you wanna get maximum bang for your buck, the Seven Series BMW

IS IT.

Most of the dudes that drive these cars are old and feeble which means

2 YEAR OLD SEVEN SERIES BMW's are a

STEAL.

MAJOR REDUCTION FROM "NEW" STICKER PRICE

USUALLY OWNED BY A CONSERVATIVE PERSON

Guess what I'm telling you, Venty, is

DON'T SETTLE, MAN.

GO FOR THE SEVEN SERIES, EVEN IF IT'S A CUPPLA YEARS OLD.

(exception: an M-5)

The 7s are definitely nice, and they should be at that price.

But the feel of driving one is not like an M. And I don't mean the silly marketing BS they pull with slapping the M label on models like the X5 ... I mean the ones designed as performance cars first and luxury cars second.

My M3 is absolutely NOT a comfortable car to sit in for a 10 hour drive. You feel every bump in the road. It's designed to let you feel the road. Lousy roads are not fun to drive on. I'd rather be in a 7 for road trips.

All depends what you want out of it.

I absolutely love my six year old M45. Bought it used at the two year mark. It was as loaded as an Infiniti could be when it was new. (I'll never be able to have less than a fully loaded electronic everything car again). Nothing but routine maintenance and a couple minor repairs. Infiniti service costs are surprisingly FAR cheaper than BMW and Lexus in my personal experience.

I absolutely love my six year old M45. Bought it used at the two year mark. It was as loaded as an Infiniti could be when it was new. (I'll never be able to have less than a fully loaded electronic everything car again). Nothing but routine maintenance and a couple minor repairs. Infiniti service costs are surprisingly FAR cheaper than BMW and Lexus in my personal experience.

I have an 04 G35 that Ive beat to holy hell and besides oil changes, brakes, and routine check ups, it runs like a champ. Only 83kmiles though.

I have wanted a black M3 since I was 9 years old. It will be my first purchase after the house. I drive a beat up truck, which I will drive until it dies so I can move from it to my M3. Wife has a minivan. Going to upgrade her to a suburban or yukon XL in a year or two.

And I have to disagree with Jet...if money is not an issue, I would skip the 745 and get an M6. I saw a few in long island when I was in med school. They are nasty. One of the cards guys here has an MB SLK 63 amg. It is also pretty sick. Always been a BMW man though myself.

definitely the M5, no comparison. Infiniti is nice but a completely different type of car. How old are we talking about? is the M5 still under warrenty? even if its not, I'm sure you can afford the maintenance. M5's have extreme duality that no other mid-size luxury sport sedan can match..

definitely the M5, no comparison. Infiniti is nice but a completely different type of car. How old are we talking about? is the M5 still under warrenty? even if its not, I'm sure you can afford the maintenance. M5's have extreme duality that no other mid-size luxury sport sedan can match..

The new caddy CTS-V is pretty nasty too. 500+hp as well. But not as stylish to me as the M5. one of our surgeons has an audi RS6..very nice, but still not an M5 to me.

The new caddy CTS-V is pretty nasty too. 500+hp as well. But not as stylish to me as the M5. one of our surgeons has an audi RS6..very nice, but still not an M5 to me.

Nothing drives quite like an M5. The infiniti is a luxury car while the BMW feels like a sedan on steroids with the looks to boot.

Some food for thought. Check how far the AMGs have depreciated before picking up the M5...

I have a 2005 E55 AMG with 80k miles [purchased for 28,850 from an anesthesiologist in New Hampshire in 2010, with 42k miles] that's probably worth 18k now. I'm keeping it when my extended warranty expires in July because knock on wood it's been simple to work on and the perceived cost of ownership that drives the price of these cars down is extremely different than the actual cost of ownership. That perception has enabled me to have champagne tastes on a beer budget, which I certainly enjoy.

With an ECU and TCU tune it makes 472 wheel, under warranty.
4LZn4.jpg

Stellar - why do you say your 335 is a money pit? Katie's 335 has [once again, knock on wood] been cheap as balls to maintain out of warranty. Hers is a 2008/ pre-LCI with the N54, not sure what year yours is. We did pick up a service warranty which paid for itself on the first service and is good for several more years, that might have something to do with it, as we incur no incidentals unless something actually breaks.

Good to see that there are some car people here :p

+1

Nothing drives quite like an M5. The infiniti is a luxury car while the BMW feels like a sedan on steroids with the looks to boot.

Blade, I respectfully disagree.

The second generation [2009+ iirc] CTS-V is more car than the E60 M5, period. I've driven both on the track and the CTS-V was designed to be the fastest four-door sedan at the time. They built the CTS off the CTS-V chassis. The M5 was built around the existing 5 series chassis. It shows when you drive it.

With that said, if he wants an M5, he should get an M5.

Not many people say, "I want a caddy supercar." The launch mode in the M5 is crazy and the sound of that car is amazing once you toss an exhaust on it.

If you were just comparing the M5 to the infiniti, you're correct.

1-2yr old. yes to warranty

Its hard for me to shake the Caddy image of a granpa in a sedan or a dufas in an escillade.

Audi is ok but for that price range Im going beamer.

Its hard for me to shake the Caddy image of a granpa in a sedan or a dufas in an escillade.

I don't follow the prices on the E60 M5's but is it safe to assume that they're tanking thanks to the debut of the F10 M5?

dude, M5. If you get anything else, you will always think about what the M5 would have been like. The CTS-V is also a very nice car although its duality is not as good as the M5 and its looks are also not as good. The CTS-V coupe is much nicer in my opinion than the sedan but too sporty looking.. The only other car I would put in M5 terrritory is the 2013 Audi S6 which I would take over a 1-2 year old M5.

I have a 2003 330i ZHP, got it in 09 with ~80k mi, currently has 126k mi on it. Hasn't been a pit money for me, mainly routine maintenance type stuff. Maybe I have been lucky so far.

I also have a 2003 zhp. They are not money pits.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't follow the prices on the E60 M5's but is it safe to assume that they're tanking thanks to the debut of the F10 M5?

Not really. The price gap is too big for both cars to compete; the difference will be slight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Got a nice deal on a 2011 cts-v a couple months ago, 1 owner with 5k miles. Rides incredibly smooth...too bad my city mpg is 6-8 when it's being driven like it should :p

ipaTx0z.jpg

What year M5 are you looking at? the E60 based one has in my mind a crummy transmission... the SMG is not smooth at all.. and the ride isn't terribly comfortably...

I've been master debating the same question.... I need something with 4 seats...

I've driven the CTS-V and I really like it... it's a great ride and awesome performance... 2009 should run you about 42-42; I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2011 with 20K miles on it for 49K... one big problem is I really want an AWD car for those just in case bad weather....

I really want a new S6.. but it's 80K.... the S4 is just too expensive for the performance...

I would steer away from the Infiniti.. I've owned a G which I like but I really didn't care for the M series when I drove it.. it's a big heavy car that's not as sporty as I would like...

drccw