Useful electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssj4vinh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up 3rd year and wondering what electives are most useful in terms of helping to be a better radiologist in the future. What are the most important specialties to have a good understanding of?

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up 3rd year and wondering what electives are most useful in terms of helping to be a better radiologist in the future. What are the most important specialties to have a good understanding of?

Just enjoy fourth year. Do a rads rotation or two, obviously. Otherwise, whatever knowledge you glean from rads-relevant electives will be washed away by the drudgery of intern year. Programs will expect you to have minimal knowledge coming into training.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't do radiology because there is no expectation for baseline radiology knowledge. Do a rotation that gives you exposure to a field that 1) uses imaging heavily, 2) is not the specialty of your intern year, 3) you were not exposed to 3rd year of medical school. I did cardiothoracic surgery ICU, EM, GI. In an ideal world, there would be a lighter version of a rotation in a surgical subspecialty (orthopedics, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, thoracic surgery, urology, vascular surgery) designed for students not going into that specialty. These are rare, but ask around your school. Similarly, consider radiation oncology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever you think you’ll never see ever again.

Realize that few look back on a 4th year rotation, or even a rotation during intern year and say “and that’s why I’m a great radiologist.”

I did a couple extra peds rotations because the attendings and hospital were great. I had zero desire of doing peds radiology.

Most of all, show up and learn something. Although 4th year can be perceived as a waste, it’s a very expensive waste. Might as well try.

agree with Cognovi and TCOM12

I wouldn't do Radiology rotations that don't serve some higher purpose (meaning targeted to a place where you want to get in and might not qualify based on paper metrics alone--see post #167 and #183 in the thread called Radiology Faculty--Answering Questions/"AMA")

What you will "learn" in a radiology rotation won't help you as a resident after about the end of the 1st month of residency

If you have any interest what so ever in IR, do some surgery rotations. Ortho and vascular would be good.

1. Videogames
2. Netflix
3. Work out

If you really must do serious rotations:
1. Surgery - I thought this was super helpful

But seriously, just chill 4th year

Reactions: 3 users
Agree that for IR ( vascular surgery, ICU and even Neuro IR on top of your IR rotations) would be invaluable to hone your clinical knowledge and skill set.