Useful OneNote Features for Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pelagia

NCSU CVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got OneNote a few days ago, and I am seriously impressed with this program! I love how organized you can be with it, how everything is there, and easily searchable, and how it's pretty easy to use. I know that several people in this forum use OneNote, and I thought it'd be a great idea to start a thread where we contribute what features of OneNote we find especially helpful for school, or conversely, potential trouble points in OneNote. I'm still learning the program, and so I'm sure there's tons of stuff I haven't even discovered yet!

So I guess I'll start: For those with a tablet, I found out that your handwriting is searchable just like typed text.

Members don't see this ad.

I also like how searchable everything is. I print copies of textbooks, journal articles, and notes all in onenote and I can search everything at once or I can limit my search to specific areas. It makes it much easier to find information, and recordings are searchable too.

"Send to OneNote" as a print option is not available on 64 bit systems. There is a work around, but it's not streamlined. My wife seems to be making due, and she's not the best with computers.

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome - keep it coming guys. I am hoping to use OneNote next year at UCD!

Does anyone else use it with the Windows SkyDrive? I can honestly say that's one of my favourite features. I'm still undergrad, but I take notes on my netbook. Because most of my classrooms are WiFi enabled, my notes get automatically synced up with my SkyDrive. When I get home, my notes are automatically available on my main computer. :thumbup:

Is OneNote only available for PC's? Curiosity here, as I have a Mac

"Send to OneNote" as a print option is not available on 64 bit systems. There is a work around, but it's not streamlined. My wife seems to be making due, and she's not the best with computers.

I have a 64-bit system and it does it for me just fine. Do you have OneNote 2010?

Yea it does work. You have to upgrade to 2010. When did you buy it? There is a free upgrade for it during a certain time period when the 2010 version came out. So I bought the Home and Student package during this transition time and it was really easy to upgrade it. I think I just entered some code that came with my first package that I bought.

Hmm well when I looked it up this is what I got, and the link was purple so i think this is where I got my free upgrade. Looks like it is closed now though :(

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/

I'm still randomly finding new things on this program every month :)

I use the tags, highlighting, and colors pens a lot. Especially during anatomy!! (i miss u anatomy :love:)

I "print to OneNote" for all of my classes. pdfs, powerpoints, word documents.

I copy pictures from our labs that are online and label everything ahead of time so when I am cramming the night before I can see everything I need to know on the figure instantly instead of clicking each individual labeled item.

I have my "To Do" list in one of the notebooks and I love checking off the little boxes by it lol

You can convert your handwritten notes to print (make sure to do the hand writing demos for this so that it can "get used" to your personal handwriting. It really does make a difference)

The recordings will line up with what you write/type next to slides. (Just like what people talk about for that special pen, I think called Livescribe?)

You can share notebooks that you create with other people through the internet or through their OneNote program too. (Ive tried to set this up with FookieKat but school is just so busy we've only made it half way through the setup haha. Maybe I can use that feature more next year)

The recordings will line up with what you write/type next to slides. (Just like what people talk about for that special pen, I think called Livescribe?)

Can you explain more how this works? Is it that you start the recording, and then can click on part of your text, and it will play what was recorded at that time?

Can you explain more how this works? Is it that you start the recording, and then can click on part of your text, and it will play what was recorded at that time?

Yup that is basically it!

Under "Insert" you click "Record Audio" then you just continue taking your notes for the lecture, then stop the recording. At the end of lecture if you take your cursor and place it over an area that you typed notes you'll see a little sideways "play" triangle button and if you click it it starts playing the audio and at the top of the screen you can see the time moving from that start point you chose.

Under "Insert" you click "Record Audio" then you just continue taking your notes for the lecture, then stop the recording. At the end of lecture if you take your cursor and place it over an area that you typed notes you'll see a little sideways "play" triangle button and if you click it it starts playing the audio and at the top of the screen you can see the time moving from that start point you chose.

Wow, that is amazing! This is why I wanted to start this thread...I knew there was cool stuff I hadn't discovered yet. Keep it up everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

You have to make sure you actually "stop" the recording though when class is over-- sometimes I get carried away and close OneNote without stopping it, and that ruins the whole recording.

You can send notebooks or pages directly to your email -- it inserts them in the body of the email so the recipient doesnt need to have OneNote. Or you can easily convert to PDF docs for emailing.

You can make subpages and collapse the main pages down when things start getting crowded at the end of the semester. Seems simple, but I honestly just discovered this after months of using OneNote.

I also have a 64bit system and no problems with the send to OneNote drivers.

Yea it does work. You have to upgrade to 2010. When did you buy it? There is a free upgrade for it during a certain time period when the 2010 version came out. So I bought the Home and Student package during this transition time and it was really easy to upgrade it. I think I just entered some code that came with my first package that I bought.

Hmm well when I looked it up this is what I got, and the link was purple so i think this is where I got my free upgrade. Looks like it is closed now though :(

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/

Yeah, I meant the 2007 version. I have the Enterprise edition that I got from work. Will have to see if we have the 2010 version available.

can you guys draw circles/arrows/other useful figures on images (i.e. histology) easily and quickly without a tablet?

can you guys draw circles/arrows/other useful figures on images (i.e. histology) easily and quickly without a tablet?

yup. If you have a regular laptop you can still do all of that. I'd say it would be easier to type instead of draw though. But there are also arrows that you can put on there automatically instead of drawing the arrows.

Lets see if I can upload this, every time i try to put a picture on it fails lol I'll put a link up just in case

http://imgur.com/8yycW

sry its small, go to image options and "view full page" to make it a little bigger

Yes. Basic shapes all come "preset" you just pick, choose your color, and drag it across the screen.
Graphs are pretty simple as well, as are flow diagrams.

Very hard to draw out physiology mechanisms though.

I spend 99% of my time typing, but the drawing options are there for regular laptops as well.

Has anyone found a good way to print from OneNote? There are certain classes I would love to print out AFTER I've taken notes on them in OneNote.

I just print as normal. I print all my notes from Microbial Ecology because that class has open book tests. It all prints out exactly as it appears on screen.

Yup, it should print out the way it looks in One Note. So if you print your power point slides into One Note, take notes on them and then print to the printer, it should look just like the screen so the slides+your notes that you made around them.

One problem I have noticed. If you take a TON of notes next to slides, if you don't write off to the side enough, it will move the slide below it (and all other slides below it) down farther for you to type more without getting into the next slide. So if you print now, since the slides have been moved a little, some of the slides will get cut in half when they print.
But if you take notes on the slides, and make sure that you don't change the distance between any of the slides, it "knows" where each slide starts and finishes so none of the slides will get cut off.

I'm sure there is a way to fix this. But I have no time to work on these problems so when I find a "flaw" from using something on One Note I just never do it that way again haha Ive never been held back in what I want to do tho, there are so many options to avoid an error that you are making. I guess this is the lazy persons way of dealing with it, maybe ill work on that this summer lol

Yup it's only on pc :( I have a Mac too but I am planning on running windows using parallels so that I can use onenote. Going to try it out soon so I can get used to it before school starts. Mac does have a couple similar programs : circus ponies and evernote. They have free trials of each that you can download

For those of you that have wanted to see all slides or pages from a .pdf or powerpoint presentation to the background at once, there is an add-on from a Microsoft blogger that installs a "Prinout Manager" into OneNote. It's located here: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/onenotetips/archive/2011/01/20/printout-manager-for-onenote-2010.aspx

I highly recommend this add-on. It's from a reliable source and it is really helpful when you want to take notes over every slide/page without the background being clickable. I hated it when I first got OneNote and the powerpoint slide would turn into a grey box when all I wanted to do was take a note over it or highlight part of the text. This add-on allows you to send all the slides/pages to the background at once.

Last edited:
yup. If you have a regular laptop you can still do all of that. I'd say it would be easier to type instead of draw though. But there are also arrows that you can put on there automatically instead of drawing the arrows.

Lets see if I can upload this, every time i try to put a picture on it fails lol I'll put a link up just in case

http://imgur.com/8yycW

sry its small, go to image options and "view full page" to make it a little bigger

ohh. so, for something like the dorsal median sulcus of 4th ventricle, you would probably have a hard time just finding a basic or preset shape to cover that, right? (which means you would want a tablet)

also, do you feel that it matters if your highlights/outlines conform with the organic shape of the subject of interest? i mean, if i have a rectangle outline over the sulcus, then i wouldn't know precisely what is or isn't the sulcus. it looks like a blob to me with shades. that matters, yes?

also, lol at the rostral, middle, caudal pedunde of cerebellar.

looks like i'll need a tablet whether i want one or not, haha. thanks for the example though, it was very helpful!

ohh. so, for something like the dorsal median sulcus of 4th ventricle, you would probably have a hard time just finding a basic or preset shape to cover that, right? (which means you would want a tablet)

also, do you feel that it matters if your highlights/outlines conform with the organic shape of the subject of interest? i mean, if i have a rectangle outline over the sulcus, then i wouldn't know precisely what is or isn't the sulcus. it looks like a blob to me with shades. that matters, yes?

looks like i'll need a tablet whether i want one or not, haha. thanks for the example though, it was very helpful!

Well, you could buy a Wacom digitizer tablet for under $100, too, but that wouldn't work as smoothly. Though it would save you several hundred dollars. http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Factory-Refurbished/dp/accessories/B003LVKQ18

haha honestly, you will never have time to make things like this perfect. As you can see, that is a really sloppy image even though I have a tablet and I uesd the pen to outline areas. Doing anything like this takes a lot of time out of other stuff you need to be studying so unless you're super OCD ull just throw this **** together fast lol So basicaly i'm saying -- you can easily just use your cursor to outline freely.

But of course, i love my tablet and i would recommend tablets if you're willing to spend the money. For some people who think they don't have the money to spend, they can still use their cursor

Look into Growly Notes. I am planning on getting a Mac as well and I heard that this is a good substitute, and it's free!

haha honestly, you will never have time to make things like this perfect. As you can see, that is a really sloppy image even though I have a tablet and I uesd the pen to outline areas. Doing anything like this takes a lot of time out of other stuff you need to be studying so unless you're super OCD ull just throw this **** together fast lol So basicaly i'm saying -- you can easily just use your cursor to outline freely.

But of course, i love my tablet and i would recommend tablets if you're willing to spend the money. For some people who think they don't have the money to spend, they can still use their cursor

wait, was your example notes taken during class or on your own study time? did you need to draw/highlight images during class?

As someone with zero exposure to / familiarity with OneNote, how does the recording feature work? Do the recordings take up a lot of memory? Could one burn something they've recorded to CD if they're feeling particularly masochistic and want to listen to it while driving home over break?

(I'm not particularly OCD, but if I'm called off the waitlist, I'll have a lot of 22 hour rides home since boarding FAILcat long term has become prohibitively expensive / stressful for him, and I don't think any veterinarian in their right mind would deem him okay to fly at this point. I figure that, if I'm already shaving off some down time driving, I might as well do something productive in an attempt to cut down on the studying I actually have to do once I get there.)

As someone with zero exposure to / familiarity with OneNote, how does the recording feature work? Do the recordings take up a lot of memory? Could one burn something they've recorded to CD if they're feeling particularly masochistic and want to listen to it while driving home over break?

(I'm not particularly OCD, but if I'm called off the waitlist, I'll have a lot of 22 hour rides home since boarding FAILcat long term has become prohibitively expensive / stressful for him, and I don't think any veterinarian in their right mind would deem him okay to fly at this point. I figure that, if I'm already shaving off some down time driving, I might as well do something productive in an attempt to cut down on the studying I actually have to do once I get there.)

i think most schools also provide audio files?? maybe not 100% of them, but i think a large proportion. I would suggest using those because they will be taped directly from the microphone they use so they are nice and clear.

i'm not sure about getting the audio file from OneNote onto your mp3 player or cd. If there is an individual file for it then you deifnitely can. But ive never looked for the file before lol I sit in the back of the class room and recently have just stopped going to classes and listening to the audio recordings that the school supplies, so im no use on this topic passed the basics

wait, was your example notes taken during class or on your own study time? did you need to draw/highlight images during class?

this was on my own time to help me cram and memorize things. I do use the drawing and highlighting when taking notes but thats usually like 1-2 things per slide so i think that would be boring to post as an example lol Usually on my notes i'll circle things on graphs if the prof points it out or highlight something that they say "know this!"

The audio files are nothing too crazy, but you need sit pretty close to the front for it to be clear. OTherwise background noise will pretty overwhelming. I think my entire onenote file (all notes, audio recordings of most classes, PPTs, etc) is probably pushing 5gb, so it does add up after a while.

I can email recordings to people, but have never tried to burn them to a CD or IPod or anything. Can't imagine it would be that difficult, its probably just a matter of dragging and dropping the file.

I realize I'm not going to Penn, and things may well be different wherever I end up (presumably Minnesota, according to the decline thread :xf:)... but, just out of curiosity, how do the professors generally feel about students staying home and listening to the recordings instead of going to class?

I may have to start using OneNote...

Does anyone else use it with the Windows SkyDrive? I can honestly say that's one of my favourite features. I'm still undergrad, but I take notes on my netbook. Because most of my classrooms are WiFi enabled, my notes get automatically synced up with my SkyDrive. When I get home, my notes are automatically available on my main computer

Dropbox can do this too, for anything.

The audio files are nothing too crazy, but you need sit pretty close to the front for it to be clear. OTherwise background noise will pretty overwhelming. I think my entire onenote file (all notes, audio recordings of most classes, PPTs, etc) is probably pushing 5gb, so it does add up after a while.

I can email recordings to people, but have never tried to burn them to a CD or IPod or anything. Can't imagine it would be that difficult, its probably just a matter of dragging and dropping the file.

Thanks for the info!

I'm a total front row nerd (I'm not much of an auditory learner/Power Point person, so sitting up front helps keep me focused), so it's probably worth a try.

Looks like I may want to invest in an external hard drive. I saw some on clearance a few weeks ago and debated it... alas, I decided to be cheap. Boo. ;)

Does anyone else use it with the Windows SkyDrive? I can honestly say that's one of my favourite features. I'm still undergrad, but I take notes on my netbook. Because most of my classrooms are WiFi enabled, my notes get automatically synced up with my SkyDrive. When I get home, my notes are automatically available on my main computer. :thumbup:

So I like SkyDrive and Dropbox. I actually plan on using both of them, and spent a while thinking about which uses each program would be better for. I thought I'd share them with you guys:

SkyDrive

• 25 GB free online storage
  • works great with OneNote and allows you have multiple people simultaneously working on a document at the same time
  • you can edit documents online through your web browser, even if the computer you are working on doesn't have that program (like OneNote, for example)
  • automatically saves and syncs
Dropbox

• 2 GB Free online storage
  • very easy to use
  • easily and automatically syncs documents between all of your devices (desktop, laptop, mobile phone, etc) so that as soon as you save a file to your dropbox, you can see it in your other devices with dropbox
I actually like the Dropbox interface better, and I plan on using it as virtual flash drive, for every file type except OneNote. I'm going to use SkyDrive for OneNote since it seemed to be designed with that program in mind, and has 25 GB of storage (as I'm sure ON files are larger than "regular" note files in Word, for example).

I actually like the Dropbox interface better, and I plan on using it as virtual flash drive, for every file type except OneNote. I'm going to use SkyDrive for OneNote since it seemed to be designed with that program in mind, and has 25 GB of storage (as I'm sure ON files are larger than "regular" note files in Word, for example).
It should also be noted that with Dropbox, while you start with 2 gigs, you can refer people through a referral link and get 250 extra megabytes for each person that signs up (500 mb if they do so through a .edu e-mail address).

Currently I've 5.3 GB allowance on mine and I think the free cap is something like 16 gigs (bumped about a year ago from the previous cap of 8 I believe).

SkyDrive has a 50mb per file limit though. Most of my OneNote "sections" in the current notebook are wayyy above that.

I'll have to look into DropBox see if that works, but my onenote file from this semester alone is probably pushing 3-4gb

Does onenote convert seamlessly to PDF? For a long time it had been my dream to have electronic notes that can be read/studied outside without having to print them...the new nook color supposedly opens/supports PDF's (and can be read in sunlight, GENIUS!). In theory this could make my life. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Also, I fear my old mac will not want to run a dual operating system, and while a die hard mac lover, his time may have come. I have seen onenote demos and know it is heavily used at my school and assume it will become my note taking lifeblood, so are there specific tablet PC's that work better with this program or are personal favorites? And would you ultimately recommend a tablet over standard PC if I am buying something regardless?

I realize I'm not going to Penn, and things may well be different wherever I end up (presumably Minnesota, according to the decline thread :xf:)... but, just out of curiosity, how do the professors generally feel about students staying home and listening to the recordings instead of going to class?

Some professors hate it and some totally understand and dont care. If you saw in another thread i said that we have about 50 professors this quarter so there are a ton of profs with a variety of diff opinions.

however, majority of the class still attends. and you cant really notice 20 people gone if the empty seats are spread out around another 100 people

I want to explore the notebook sharing over an ad hoc network in OneNote. Unless the school's wireless is set up differently than most, there should be a security feature that prevents clients from finding each other - prevents unwary snooping of less tech savy owners. Ad hoc should enable us to share notes, clarify things, etc. Basically collaboration on the fly. We need to get together during orientation to test and sort out bugs.

Does onenote convert seamlessly to PDF? For a long time it had been my dream to have electronic notes that can be read/studied outside without having to print them...the new nook color supposedly opens/supports PDF's (and can be read in sunlight, GENIUS!). In theory this could make my life. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Also, I fear my old mac will not want to run a dual operating system, and while a die hard mac lover, his time may have come. I have seen onenote demos and know it is heavily used at my school and assume it will become my note taking lifeblood, so are there specific tablet PC's that work better with this program or are personal favorites? And would you ultimately recommend a tablet over standard PC if I am buying something regardless?

I don't know about OneNote converting into PDF. I'll try it and let you know. There's this program I used to use a lot in undergrad called PrimoPDF. It's a free program that lets you add PrimoPDF as a printer, and then when you want to make something into a PDF, all you do is hit print, select your printer as "PrimoPDF" and the file will open up as a converted PDF right there in Acrobat! I just tried doing the reverse of what you were asking, putting a PDF into ON, and that process went quite smoothly.

ETA: Okay, I just tried converting an ON page into PDF using PrimoPDF, and it worked beautifully! You are good to go!

I can tell you about my new tablet that I'm using. It's the HP Touchsmart tm2t. Specs: 500 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, Intel core i5 processor, windows professional 64 bit OS, 4 GB RAM (1 Dimm), 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Card. I love this tablet. The screen is capacitive and resistive, so you can use both touch and stylus. I actually find myself using the touch quite a bit for web browsing. The stylus is quite useful for ON. You don't even have to flip your tablet down into tablet mode if you want to scribble a quick note or drawing on your screen, although it's a pretty quick and easy thing to do to rotate into tablet mode. I find the handwriting recognition software (both in ON and the HP tm2t proper) to be quite accurate, as well as the touch. I'd say the suckiest part about this computer is definitely the trackpad....HP isn't know for having the world's greatest trackpads. I find it virtually impossible to use pinch zoom or two finger scrolling, and even clicking and dragging can be annoying initially (though I have learned my trackpad's particular idiosyncracies and this is not usually a problem anymore). It's a 12.1" inch screen, so I'd say a good size for transporting around, and it's not too heavy (4.7 lb...not light like a Mac, but it doesn't feel unnecessarily heavy). Although, I love the keyboard, which is a chiclet/island style. It's important to be comfortable with the size/layout of the keyboard since you'll be using it for many hours pretty much everyday! I also got a $300 dollar discount, one was a $150 instant savings something or other that HP was doing, and the other was using a coupon code from Logic Buy. Make sure you check retailmenot.com or just google around for coupon codes before you buy something (I do this for every online purchase, but it's especially good for large purchases like this!). For the computer I got, I ended up paying about $1200, which is a lot, yes, but not as much as say, Lenovo tablets (which seem to hang out at around the $2000 range), and I feel like a got a pretty good computer that I'm pretty happy with and that will last me the four years (and I needed a new computer anyway). You can get this computer for less (starting retail price is $800) if you choose a smaller HD, less RAM, or a less powerful processor, but I got pretty much the best of those specs I could because I want this computer to last and stay fast.

Plenty of people already in vet school say that you don't need a tablet, but for me, I wanted one because it fits my style (learning, notetaking, computing) the best. I feel like with a tablet, you can get the full range of funtionality in ON, such as drawing diagrams, easily labeling, searching your handwriting, (yes, you can do these with a regular laptop, but it's sooooo much easier to write with a tablet as opposed to a mouse!). I'd say if you're going to be buying something anyway, get a tablet.

I want to explore the notebook sharing over an ad hoc network in OneNote. Unless the school's wireless is set up differently than most, there should be a security feature that prevents clients from finding each other - prevents unwary snooping of less tech savy owners. Ad hoc should enable us to share notes, clarify things, etc. Basically collaboration on the fly. We need to get together during orientation to test and sort out bugs.

I haven't gotten to try the notebook sharing feature yet, so I'm not sure if clients can find each other or not. My understanding was that you invite via email people who you want to share the notebook with you, and you can all see each other and what each person is working on in the notebook, but your computer isn't aware of other ON notebooks around you. I'll try it out with you at orientation! :)

Last edited:
Some professors hate it and some totally understand and dont care. If you saw in another thread i said that we have about 50 professors this quarter so there are a ton of profs with a variety of diff opinions.

however, majority of the class still attends. and you cant really notice 20 people gone if the empty seats are spread out around another 100 people

I'm sure I'd attend most of the time if for no other reason than not wanting to offend... but my undergrad C&MB class was Death by Power Point (everything taken directly from the text) late at night, and as someone that doesn't learn that way, I found that I did much better when I hung out at the library and did things my way. Especially during exam weeks. The professor actually suggested that those of us that had different learning styles just not show up and review the lecture material on our own time. I'm pretty sure it's the only reason I was able to do well in the class.

I realized this info is extremely useful for when you first import powerpoints or basically any file into one note. At first if I didn't like the size the slides were i would select all and then move their edges to expand or contract the slides. I did this all the time and it was really annoying because each file seemed to be a diff size.
Then a little bit later I found a zoom button!!!! haha I mean, this was when Office 2010 first came out so I'm sure if you've been using it for a while you know that WORD and all the other programs also have this lol. But yea, I use the zoom In/Out alllll the time depending on the size of font used.

I realized this info is extremely useful for when you first import powerpoints or basically any file into one note. At first if I didn't like the size the slides were i would select all and then move their edges to expand or contract the slides. I did this all the time and it was really annoying because each file seemed to be a diff size.
Then a little bit later I found a zoom button!!!! haha I mean, this was when Office 2010 first came out so I'm sure if you've been using it for a while you know that WORD and all the other programs also have this lol. But yea, I use the zoom In/Out alllll the time depending on the size of font used.

Where's the zoom button?

Where's the zoom button?

At the top of the screen it says "Home, Insert.....View" Click on View, the bar right below says Paper size, then Zoom In and Zoom out!! I always have this bar open because i constantly change the view when i'm either reading the notes that i typed or reading from the power point, or reading from a figure on the power point whose caption is so tiny i zoom in a lot lol

SkyDrive has a 50mb per file limit though. Most of my OneNote "sections" in the current notebook are wayyy above that.

Ah, I haven't got that problem. No audio on my notes, because the mic on my netbook seems to suck.

Thanks for the link to DropBox, I'd never heard of it. I only knew about Sky Drive because when I got OneNote it asked me if I wanted to sync using it.

For those of you that have wanted to see all slides or pages from a .pdf or powerpoint presentation to the background at once, there is an add-on from a Microsoft blogger that installs a "Prinout Manager" into OneNote. It's located here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/descapa/archive/2007/09/19/onenote-printout-manager.aspx

I highly recommend this add-on. It's from a reliable source and it is really helpful when you want to take notes over every slide/page without the background being clickable. I hated it when I first got OneNote and the powerpoint slide would turn into a grey box when all I wanted to do was take a note over it or highlight part of the text. This add-on allows you to send all the slides/pages to the background at once.

I downloaded this add-on, but it's now showing up in OneNote?

... technology & I are not friends :(

Last edited:
At the top of the screen it says "Home, Insert.....View" Click on View, the bar right below says Paper size, then Zoom In and Zoom out!! I always have this bar open because i constantly change the view when i'm either reading the notes that i typed or reading from the power point, or reading from a figure on the power point whose caption is so tiny i zoom in a lot lol

I love the zoom feature. It is super easy to use on my tablet. I just put two fingers in the middle of the screen and slide them apart diagonally. It is super useful for small figures/radiographs.