USF COM c/o 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if USF has a second look weekend?

QofQuimica said:
Hmm, I don't remember hearing about one. You might try PMing REL (or maybe he'll see this and let us know.)

No official Second Look gaggle, however, I have always been able to set up an individual appointment to come back and visit, sit thru classes, mingle with students, etc. You gotta get the feel because it'll be a looooonnggg four years if you go with what's trendy and it doesn't fit YOU.

Thanks so much. You all are so helpful and hospitable there.

Q!! thanks! I was looking for this. I'm so excited about my USF interview. What were your opinions of USF v. UM? If I were fortunate enough to be accepted at USF also, it would be a tough choice.

RunnerMD said:
Q!! thanks! I was looking for this. I'm so excited about my USF interview. What were your opinions of USF v. UM? If I were fortunate enough to be accepted at USF also, it would be a tough choice.
I think USF and UM have more in common than they have things that are different. They are both in urban settings, both are clinically oriented schools, both have diverse student bodies with a lot of non-trads. I think if you get into USF and you do not get a scholarship from Miami, I would recommend that you pick USF. If Miami offers you the $10,000 scholarship they gave a bunch of people (can't remember if you got that too), then it's pretty much a gut feeling kind of decision. Go to re-visit both schools, and see how you feel. You can't go wrong with either one.

Bump. My interview is on Monday--can't wait :)

just bumping so the thread doesn't get lost again...hoping to post good news here in about 2 weeks ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
I think USF and UM have more in common than they have things that are different. They are both in urban settings, both are clinically oriented schools, both have diverse student bodies with a lot of non-trads. I think if you get into USF and you do not get a scholarship from Miami, I would recommend that you pick USF. If Miami offers you the $10,000 scholarship they gave a bunch of people (can't remember if you got that too), then it's pretty much a gut feeling kind of decision. Go to re-visit both schools, and see how you feel. You can't go wrong with either one.

q, didn't it bother you a lil how miami was in a ghetto environment?

QofQuimica said:
It bothered me a lot. That's why I chose the FAU campus. ;)

oh ic, yeah, boca is so nice!

Hi! I am planning on attending USF this fall and I was wondering if anyone knows about any good affordable housing close to the school. Thanks!

PinkyJolly said:
Hi! I am planning on attending USF this fall and I was wondering if anyone knows about any good affordable housing close to the school. Thanks!

i'm lookin at maybe gettin a condo, 1-bedroom, or more than likely a 2-bedroom apartment (i would need to find a roommate, if anyone's interested?) a few blocks from the school. There's a street that's a 5-minute drive from the medical school full of nice apartment and even condo possibilities.

PinkyJolly said:

There's tons of housing options near campus, but alot of the communities are filled with undergrads. If I were you, I would choose some place in S. Tampa. That's where the grad school/young professional crowd hangs out and it is also where TGH is. Plus, its only about a 15-20 min drive from just about anywhere in Tampa.

Also, stay away from the New Tampa area. It might only be 8-10 miles to school, but it will take you 45 min to get there. It is really absurd.

JabsterL said:
i'm lookin at maybe gettin a condo, 1-bedroom, or more than likely a 2-bedroom apartment (i would need to find a roommate, if anyone's interested?) a few blocks from the school. There's a street that's a 5-minute drive from the medical school full of nice apartment and even condo possibilities.

Thanks. Do you happen to know how much condos and apartments run for in that area. I also want to find something nice and close to the school, maybe a townhouse(if it is affordable). I have 2 small dog and I would like for them to have a small yard or something to run around. At least the housing in Tampa seems to be a little cheaper than further south.

PinkyJolly said:
Thanks. Do you happen to know how much condos and apartments run for in that area. I also want to find something nice and close to the school, maybe a townhouse(if it is affordable). I have 2 small dog and I would like for them to have a small yard or something to run around. At least the housing in Tampa seems to be a little cheaper than further south.

It really depends whats important to you. Housing in the Riverview area is fairly inexpensive, but its about a 30-35 min drive to school and far from ALL of the hospitals (30-45 min away).

Stay away from Wesley Chapel. Another area with very affordable housing (and an "up and coming area") but this is even further west of New Tampa and it will take you about an hour to get to school (even though it might only be 15 miles away).

The USF area does have some very affordable condos/townhouses, but many are older and some are run-down. I don't think they have yards either. If you are looking at a specific place in Tampa, and have questions, feel free to PM me and ask me about the location. I've lived just about everywhere in Tampa from Apollo Beach to South Tampa to Lutz to New Tampa lol.

The USF area does have some very affordable condos/townhouses, but many are older and some are run-down. I don't think they have yards either. If you are looking at a specific place in Tampa, and have questions, feel free to PM me and ask me about the location. I've lived just about everywhere in Tampa from Apollo Beach to South Tampa to Lutz to New Tampa lol.[/QUOTE]

thanks so much Runner! can you tell me where (like wh/ streets) have good condos in the USF area that i could live in for at least 4 years? it's okay if they are a little run down, as the price will probably reflect that ;)

thanks so much again!

PinkyJolly said:
I liked the Temple Terrace area. It's right next to the campus, and it's actually a little suburb of Tampa, not part of the city. Several people suggested that I look there. There is also an area just north of the school that is serviced by the shuttle bus. You can either rent apartments or buy a condo on that line. If you don't want to have to drive to school, that might be a good option. Mr. Larkin also told me that a lot of people live near USF at first, and then move downtown somewhere for the last two years. Obviously you don't want to do this if you're buying, but it might be something to consider for those of you who plan to rent.

QofQuimica said:
I liked the Temple Terrace area. It's right next to the campus, and it's actually a little suburb of Tampa, not part of the city. Several people suggested that I look there. There is also an area just north of the school that is serviced by the shuttle bus. You can either rent apartments or buy a condo on that line. If you don't want to have to drive to school, that might be a good option. Mr. Larkin also told me that a lot of people live near USF at first, and then move downtown somewhere for the last two years. Obviously you don't want to do this if you're buying, but it might be something to consider for those of you who plan to rent.

Thanks-I'll take a look at that area. I plan on going up to Tampa in a couple of months to look around and maybe find a place to live.

RunnerMD said:
There's tons of housing options near campus, but alot of the communities are filled with undergrads. If I were you, I would choose some place in S. Tampa. That's where the grad school/young professional crowd hangs out and it is also where TGH is. Plus, its only about a 15-20 min drive from just about anywhere in Tampa.

Also, stay away from the New Tampa area. It might only be 8-10 miles to school, but it will take you 45 min to get there. It is really absurd.

there's truth and error in this post - true that south tampa is trendier and where a lot of people go, false that new tampa is that bad. yes, there's morning traffic, but it doesn't take 45 min to get to school in the morning unless you move north of where I-75 crosses bruce b downs (and even then, I doubt 45 minutes). however i would agree that the further south you can be in new tampa, the better. i live about 3.5 miles north of campus and I can get to school in 7-10 minutes non rush hour, 15 minutes when I leave around 7:30am.

i can't comment about south tampa other than to say that it is definately more expensive - you pay for being in the cool part of tampa. but if money weren't an object, yeah, i'd love to get a place right on bayshore boulevard.

temple terrace is a cute area, i would agree, and it's probably a little less expensive than new tampa. it has some nice cultural feel, too. as to the area just north of campus (between 42nd and 46th streets, between fletcher and bruce b downs), that area is full of undergrads - i'm not saying that's intrinsically good or bad, but definately be aware that they will be people with different priorities than yours.

i don't know too much about condos in new tampa other than to say that there have been A LOT of apartment-to-condo conversions in the last 2 years - i'd be very leery to buy a condo that really was built to be an apartment. the prices have gotten pretty high too - i wish i'd bought 2 years ago, because prices have close to doubled in some locations. i think you'd struggle to find a decent 2 bd/2 ba unit anywhere south of cross creek for under $200K. rents have gone up too unfortunately, and the place i'm in has gone up almost $150/month in only 2 years. but like i said, new tampa is still probably cheaper (for a comparable place) than south tampa (soho, bayshore, or the islands).

if any of ya'll have more specific questions, you can PM me and i'll try to answer them.

mlw03 said:
there's truth and error in this post - true that south tampa is trendier and where a lot of people go, false that new tampa is that bad. yes, there's morning traffic, but it doesn't take 45 min to get to school in the morning unless you move north of where I-75 crosses bruce b downs (and even then, I doubt 45 minutes). however i would agree that the further south you can be in new tampa, the better. i live about 3.5 miles north of campus and I can get to school in 7-10 minutes non rush hour, 15 minutes when I leave around 7:30am.

i can't comment about south tampa other than to say that it is definately more expensive - you pay for being in the cool part of tampa. but if money weren't an object, yeah, i'd love to get a place right on bayshore boulevard.

temple terrace is a cute area, i would agree, and it's probably a little less expensive than new tampa. it has some nice cultural feel, too. as to the area just north of campus (between 42nd and 46th streets, between fletcher and bruce b downs), that area is full of undergrads - i'm not saying that's intrinsically good or bad, but definately be aware that they will be people with different priorities than yours.

i don't know too much about condos in new tampa other than to say that there have been A LOT of apartment-to-condo conversions in the last 2 years - i'd be very leery to buy a condo that really was built to be an apartment. the prices have gotten pretty high too - i wish i'd bought 2 years ago, because prices have close to doubled in some locations. i think you'd struggle to find a decent 2 bd/2 ba unit anywhere south of cross creek for under $200K. rents have gone up too unfortunately, and the place i'm in has gone up almost $150/month in only 2 years. but like i said, new tampa is still probably cheaper (for a comparable place) than south tampa (soho, bayshore, or the islands).

if any of ya'll have more specific questions, you can PM me and i'll try to answer them.

I lived ~3/4 mile North of BB Downs (The Marquis Apartments) and when leaving my house at 7:15am, it took 45 min to get to USF. Also, there are deals everywhere--I paid MUCH more $ living in New Tampa, than I do in S. Tampa.

It really depends on how much you are willing to search. The prices at some places in New Tampa are comparable to living at SoHo Madison. Personally, I'd rather invest some time in finding a "good deal," in an area of town where I would be happy.

Where are the bad areas in Tampa? You know the areas that everyone says is a bad place to live (ghetto)?

interestingly, the area called 'university' is kinda ghetto. it's the area just west of campus along fletcher between usf and I-275. there are other bad areas of tampa, but that's the only one near campus. the other areas mentioned here (new tampa, temple terrace, south tampa) are all pretty safe.

PinkyJolly said:
Where are the bad areas in Tampa? You know the areas that everyone says is a bad place to live (ghetto)?

I would stay away from the areas north of University square mall (they're mostly number streets (like 12th, 27th, etc.). Also steer clear of places near Nebraska Ave., Florida Ave.

I am a USF pre-med undergrad, however, I have a preliminary question. Is there preference given to students(like me) who have done their undergrad PM coursework at USF? For that matter is this the case for any allopathic school? Do Adcoms even care?

DOorMD? said:
I am a USF pre-med undergrad, however, I have a preliminary question. Is there preference given to students(like me) who have done their undergrad PM coursework at USF? For that matter is this the case for any allopathic school? Do Adcoms even care?
I'm going to guess probably not, but being a FL resident definitely matters for all of the FL schools. You should talk to the USF admissions director (Rel Larkin); he will meet with pre-meds who are planning to apply. So will Robyn at UF and Dr. Hinkley at U Miami. If you know for sure that you want to go to USF, you can also apply there ED if you take the spring MCAT. One of my friends did that. :)

Yeah, thanks for the info. My bro is at FSU and applying to every med school but the ones in FL. He is crazy disregarding the residency preference like that but I guess he will do his own thing. Thanks again for the info... :)

Why did you choose USF?

DOorMD? said:
Yeah, thanks for the info. My bro is at FSU and applying to every med school but the ones in FL. He is crazy disregarding the residency preference like that but I guess he will do his own thing. Thanks again for the info... :)

Why did you choose USF?
I applied to all of the FL schools except for FSU. Since they heavily prefer Floridians (including Miami, even though they're private), you should definitely do this, because they are the ones where you have the highest chances of acceptance.

Many people have recommended South Tampa to me. Can anyone recommend apartment complexes or streets that have places on them? I have a cat. The only time I have been to Tampa was for the interview and a PGA golf tournament. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just need somewhere safe that allows pets. Thanks so much.

PinkyJolly said:

Hey guys-- congrats and welcome aboard. I am in the Class of 2009 and our 12-PAC committee will be posting some suggestions on housing, churches, classes, where to shop etc on a welcome website soon- the whole low down on what you need to know.

As I was just as anxious last year, I know housing tops the list of concerns so do you guys want to buy or rent? As has been mentioned, it is very affordable to buy a condo near campus. Also, how many times do you want to move?

I live in Courtney Palms (along with about 10 first years)- you can check out the community at www.courtneypalms.com. I have a 2/2 and got it for 147,900 last year. They are now going for around 180-200K but it is quite a bit cheaper than the ones in New Tampa and those right by school. I also think the community is a lot nicer and my commute many days is less than people who live 5 miles from campus (it depends on where the traffic is). It takes me on average rush hour 20-25 minutes to campus and 7 minutes to TGH and I am never moving again. I love the area.

BTW- for those of you considering New Tampa, keep in mind that it takes 20 minutes just to get out of those communities. It is insane and the HOA fees are ridiculous. That is why I did not buy there. It also takes often more than 45 minutes to get to the hospital.

If you want the name of a great real estate agent and mortgage broker, PM me.

For those of you looking for a roommate or someone who is already set up, call Karen May as she usually sets up the roommate list. You can also send an e-mail to the Classes of 2007, 2008 and 2009. It is just [email protected]. Good luck and see you guys in August.

Hello current and soon-to-be Bulls,

I have a friend who is going to work at USF next year in the clinical psych department. Do you guys (and girls) know of good places for quiet, safe housing around campus? I've read some of the posts on this board, but was looking for something more specific (i.e., the name of an apartment complex). She is looking to spend $600 a month for a one-bedroom. If she has to live with a roommate, she would prefer a graduate or medical student. PM me if you have anything.

Deuist (Ryan)

Is anyone planning on purchasing the labtop offered at the USF campus store? It is a Dell computer with all the required programs. I would like to get a tablet but I don't know which ones are good. Any ideas?

PinkyJolly said:
Is anyone planning on purchasing the labtop offered at the USF campus store? It is a Dell computer with all the required programs. I would like to get a tablet but I don't know which ones are good. Any ideas?

I haven't seen this laptop in the bookstore. Just curious what the "required programs are". We didn't have any sort of laptop requirement when my class started, which is why I'm asking.

Oh, and I live pretty close to school at the southern border of New Tampa. Traffic on Bruce B Downs sucks pretty bad during rush hour and definitely can take at least 45 min to get to TGH, especially if you live further north in New Tampa. If you hate traffic just remember that you will be at TGH a lot after 2nd year, so you should consider South Tampa (which is where TGH is).

PinkyJolly said:

there is an area referred to as Suitcase City that you want to avoid because of its transient nature (and also association with drugs). You want to be after Bruce B. Downs and Fletcher and Fowler toward the school. You will notice a change in area within a couple of blocks in the other direction. But it is not the ghetto like jamaica, queens.

mikedc813 said:
I haven't seen this laptop in the bookstore. Just curious what the "required programs are". We didn't have any sort of laptop requirement when my class started, which is why I'm asking.

A lot of the class got the required package but those who picked up the tablets are pretty happy. THe requirements are memory and other features because they will load on a lot of security programming which completely slows down your system (even if it is brand new). I think they posted the requirements last year sometime in May or June but I could be wrong on this. I had a 2002 Dell and it did not pass the requirement so I had to buy the new one.

hey all! thanks to everyone for all the info about housing :thumbup:

does anyone know how long the morning commute is from the britton plaza shopping center area of South Tampa to campus? i know this area is pretty south of the school, but was hoping that going north might confront less traffic. or is the traffic just horrible no matter which direction you're headed? :oops:

thanks for your help!!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take to get from the Hyde Park/SoHo area to USF. Also, is $475 + utilities good for this area?
Thanks!

RummyL said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take to get from the Hyde Park/SoHo area to USF. Also, is $475 + utilities good for this area?
Thanks!

Hey RummyL, I'm not sure since I'm in Boston right now, but I've heard that it's about 30 minutes. Maybe others could give you more accurate times...

As for me, I've decided on a place in the Courtney Palms community. Thanks to vtucci for telling ppl about it on this board! In case others are interested, 2br/2baths are going for about 180k to 190k right now, which seems like a great deal based on the other options out there. There seem to be several units available right now...

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roomie? I was thinking of maybe a 2 bed/ 2 bath apt. If anyone's interested, PM me! :)

RummyL said:
Thanks!

That is a Really low price for that area...........I would see the place in person first.

janers said:
Hey RummyL, I'm not sure since I'm in Boston right now, but I've heard that it's about 30 minutes. Maybe others could give you more accurate times...

As for me, I've decided on a place in the Courtney Palms community. Thanks to vtucci for telling ppl about it on this board! In case others are interested, 2br/2baths are going for about 180k to 190k right now, which seems like a great deal based on the other options out there. There seem to be several units available right now...

Welcome aboard Janers. Let me know when you are moving in. We have a lot of now second years in the community-- I think last count had it at 7. What building did you buy in? I am in building 4. You will not be disappointed. It is really beautiful and a quiet community. Just about everyone is associated with the hospital in some way.

South Tampa can be tricky with the commute-- it depends but it is better to drive to North Tampa in the morning from South Tampa than from North to South (with the normal flow of traffic). 30+ minutes is about right assuming no accidents.

What company do people use for cable, phone, or internet in tampa?

DrBlonde said:
What company do people use for cable, phone, or internet in tampa?

For landline phone it's probably Verizon. Verizon has also put together a pretty impressive package for internet, tv, and phone via fiberoptics. Of course there is also Brighthouse which supports roadrunner and earthlink for internet cable -- dunno if they do telephone, but dont think so. Cell phone is serviced by several, personally I have had great service with ALLTEL here, not so good with SPRINT and T-Mobile, many use Cingular which I believe to be a good one too.