USF (CORE) vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redstarburst

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been fortunate to have a couple of options, but I'm having a hard time deciding between these two schools.

USF (CORE) (no financial aid info yet)

Pros:
  • Rotations at Tampa General Hospital (also VA, Children’s Hospital, Cancer Center)
  • New building in downtown Tampa and nice modern facilities (CAMLS for clinical skills training)
  • Quality of life in Tampa
  • Plenty of research opportunities through Biomedical Research Scholarly Concentration Program
  • Have own Primary Care Sports Medicine fellowship program (area of interest)
  • Service opportunities through BRIDGE Clinic and Tampa Bay Street Medicine
  • 9 weeks of dedicated Step 1 study time
Cons:
  • Tiered preclinical grading system (H, PC, P, F, R)
  • Had a high SOAP rate a few years ago, but doesn’t seem to be a continued issue
  • A lot of students stay in Florida for residency; not as many matches into prestigious midwest programs
  • Farther from home, travel costs
  • Higher cost of living

SLU (total cost ~$240k)

Pros:
  • Midwest location closer to home (about 5 hr drive away)
  • True P/F preclinical grading with 1.5-year preclinical; start clinical rotations earlier
  • Emphasis on community service, especially through Health Resource Center and Casa de Salud
  • New SSM SLU Hospital opened in 2020; also Women’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital, VA
  • Lower cost of living
  • Best interview experience - felt very collaborative and noncompetitive
  • Solid match list, including a lot of prestigious programs in the midwest
Cons:
  • Not as much of an emphasis on research and fewer research opportunities, though still accessible for those interested (ex: Research distinction)
  • 4 weeks of dedicated Step 1 study time
  • Living in St. Louis (not much to do)
  • LCME probation in 2017, though this was resolved long ago and doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore

In regards to financial aid, USF can send out scholarship awards up until classes start, or even afterward, which makes it difficult to factor cost into the decision. Also, not sure how much to factor in the tiered vs. P/F grading systems. The location and facilities of USF are amazing, but costs associated with housing and travel back home to the midwest would be much higher. I see myself being involved in research, and the opportunities at USF seem great. Also, ultimately, I would probably want to return to the midwest for residency.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the P/F, proximity to home and the known lower cost.

You can’t rely on a scholarship coming through late into the summer or in August.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the P/F, proximity to home and the known lower cost.

You can’t rely on a scholarship coming through late into the summer or in August.
This, plus will make matching in the Midwest easier too.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you said USF pros “Quality of life”, and you may want that beyond med school.