USF question for Quinn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ollaguna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read on trauma.org that USF had a trauma surgery fellowship. Do they hog all the traumas? How are they handled between the EM residents and surgery / trauma guys? Also, in general how have things been so far? Do you recommend the pogram?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to Hijack this, but, Quinn, is there a link for the Tampa program?

Originally posted by ollaguna
I just read on trauma.org that USF had a trauma surgery fellowship. Do they hog all the traumas? How are they handled between the EM residents and surgery / trauma guys? Also, in general how have things been so far? Do you recommend the pogram?

Thanks!

... Post... Call.... will respond... tomorrow... need sleep...

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I've searched the TGH site pretty thoroughly, and I haven't found a page for the residency program. Also tried the link off of scutwork.com and it sent me to a blank page :(

By the way Quinn...

Once you wake up from your "beauty sleep," could you comment on the level of involvement of the residents with the Aeromedical program at TGH?

Thanks,
Alex

Ok. Got my beauty sleep and I'm ready to go.

First, I am working on the website with our Research Directory, Dr. Paula. It should be online once ERAS starts.

From what I understand, there is indeed a Trauma Fellowship here at TGH. The way traumas are handled now will be very different in two years. TGH has not had an Emergency Medicine Residency EVER... so there has never been Emergency Medicine Residents in the ED (Just IM and OB/GYN interns rotating through for a month). So it has been the EM attending, Anesthesia attending/resident, and 3-4 Surgery Residents with a Trauma Surgeon during the trauma codes.

Starting in a few months, the Traumas will have the EM resident involved in it (from what i understand), and in two years, when I will be a PGY-3, we will apparently be running the traumas, especially the airway. Anesthesia is not supposed to be part of the trauma team once we really get the residency going (i.e. there are three full classes, PGY1-3s).

The Trauma at TGH is absolutely amazing, tons of pathology. Lots of blunt AND penetrating trauma. The trauma months are chock full o' good medicine... over 70 patients on the Trauma Service... and not to mention the always beeping Trauma Pager... I haven't done my Trauma month yet, that's in September...

And with the Aeromed program, there hasn't been any involvement yet, as we're so busy just getting oriented to the program and all (being the first class). From what I understad, it is a nurse-paramedic team on the bird... but we are allowed to go up with them (just have to get it approved). We have an EMS month where I think we can do as much Aeromed as we want. Myself and a few other fellow EM interns are very interested in a "tactical" medicine option, where we can hang with the big boys in SWAT and what not.

I highly recommend the program. The pathology at TGH is amazing. Lots of indigent patients but also the yuppie part of Tampa is right next to TGH so you get all the "suburban" emergencies (i.e. broken bones, MIs). Tampa is the best city to live in (next to DC, which is my home). Rent is cheap, you can buy a condo/townhouse/house on a residents salary, and the singles scene is mind-blowingly orgasmic.

Q, DO

Thanks for the great reply!

Originally posted by alextron
I've searched the TGH site pretty thoroughly, and I haven't found a page for the residency program. Also tried the link off of scutwork.com and it sent me to a blank page :(

By the way Quinn...

Once you wake up from your "beauty sleep," could you comment on the level of involvement of the residents with the Aeromedical program at TGH?

Thanks,
Alex

The website is finally up. The Director and I are still tweaking it (we'll have pictures and more up soon). But here you go:
http://hsc.usf.edu/medicine/internalmedicine/emergency/index.html

Q, DO

Quinn,
THANKS for the link...I am so glad you guys put one together..I have spent so much time searching for it, then remembered that you guys had to make one from scratch.

Thanks
Pegasus :clap: