USF vs UCF (40K lower COA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boltman10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a current UCF undergrad interested in eventually pursuing heme/onc. I will have IS tuition and some finaid at both schools, but when all is said and done COA would be about 40K higher over four years at USF.

USF
Pros

Lots of great research opportunities in my area of interest, partnership with Moffitt is a big plus, and scholarly concentrations program seems nice
Excellent rotation sites thanks to partnership with Tampa General.
New medical education building in a very nice (albeit very expensive) part of the city.
Strong home programs for IM and heme/onc.

Cons

Rumors of SOAP problems, this years match seemed to have alot of Prelim years
40K higher COA over 4 years
Somewhat concerned about moving to a new city where I don't know anyone, the busy schedule of a med student doesn't seem conducive to building a new friend group from scratch. (Granted a ~2 hour drive is close enough to still visit friends and family back home once in a while)

UCF
Pros

40K lower COA over 4 years
FIRE program seems helpful for pursuing research, and I'm already familiar with some of the faculty in the cancer research division
Close to family and friends

Cons

Scattered rotation sites, many of which are HCA affiliated
IM home program is also HCA affiliated (does this even count as a home program?)
Less overall research opportunities/funding/resources

Members don't see this ad.

40K isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things as a physician. Probably equates to paying off loans for about a year or two longer on a physicians salary if you are living below your means and trying to pay it off as soon as you can.

I have to go with USF mainly due to UCF partnering with HCA. The extra 40k won’t be a huge difference. Heme/Onc isn’t ultra competitive like a derm and ortho and thus the SOAP worries at USF although worrisome shouldn’t be a big deal, ultimately matching is on the student. Best of luck future physician.