USF Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sick of waiting

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I just got my call from Mr. Larkin today letting me know I’m on the waitlist. I’m “at or below” the level they usually take. I just wanted to know if anyone from last year heard this, or knows somebody that did, and got an acceptance.

I also thought if anyone is on the list this year, we could commiserate with each other and pass any information on here. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Long time reader, first time poster... :p

I too am waiting on USF. I interviewed in February and then got the call from Mr. Larkin. He told me that there was a decent chance that I would get off the waitlist. Doesn't look good, doesn't look bad. :confused: He said things would really start to clear up around May.

I am from Tampa, currently in Gainesville ("on hold" at UF med). USF is my top choice though and I really want to get off this waitlist. Maybe we could all start a support group!

Anyone else out there?!?!?

sick of waiting said:
Whats up everyone. I just got my call from Mr. Larkin today letting me know I’m on the waitlist. I’m “at or below” the level they usually take. I just wanted to know if anyone from last year heard this, or knows somebody that did, and got an acceptance.

I also thought if anyone is on the list this year, we could commiserate with each other and pass any information on here. Thanks

no personal experience, but last year there were a bunch of posts about the USF waitlist. I recommend searching. As I recall, the posters said Dr Larkin was very candid about their chances and his predictions wound up being pretty darn accurate.

The good news is that he probably isn't telling you that you have a chance just to ease the blow. The bad news is that, as I recall, last year's people who were in Larkin's "maybe/maybe not" category were sweating it out well into July. Sorry. But it did seem that a bunch of them got in in July.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Larkin definitely is pretty accurate, but it depends from year to year on how many people drop USF to open spots. So it's pretty random. People got into my class in August so don't worry too much. Good luck

Hi guys,

I thought you all might like to know that I just gave up a spot at USF the other day. So hopefully that helps you out a little. Best Luck! :luck:

CallieCat said:
Hi guys,

I thought you all might like to know that I just gave up a spot at USF the other day. So hopefully that helps you out a little. Best Luck! :luck:

Thanks so much for letting us know. Wouldn't it be great if we could do something this year like the thread last year and kept each other up-to-date. That way if someone declines, hopefully someone else can write back with good news the next week. That way we know how the list is moving!

For those waiting on USF... is it your top/only school. It is my top choice and currently I am on "hold" at UF. Personally, I loved USF and really hopes that this is the list that moves for me!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

Beat Army: thanks for guiding me to search the old threads; it was very helpful! I'm a "newbie" so didnt know how to search threads...it took me a while to find it, but it was worth it!
CallieCat: thanks for posting about dropping your acceptance.
Lizzie: Keeping each other updated on the thread sounds good to me. I loved USF; I'm not waiting for UF, but I am also waiting for Drexel and SLU. Hopefully we will both get lucky and get into USF.

Anybody else want to join the club?

Well "sick of waiting" it looks like its just you and me kid. If we are the only two on the wiatlist then we should have no problem getting in ;)

So are you from Tampa? What did you like about USF?

I am from Tampa and have really missed it while I have been away. I was really impressed with USF from the start and I loved that the students there were so happy and friendly. I toured TGH and thought it was AWESOME!

I'm planning to apply to USF this summer. So I'm a little early to join the USF waitlist club, but I'm still interested in hearing about how things turn out for all of you guys that applied last year. Good luck to everyone waiting at USF and elsewhere. :luck: :luck: :luck:

QofQuimica said:
I'm planning to apply to USF this summer. So I'm a little early to join the USF waitlist club, but I'm still interested in hearing about how things turn out for all of you guys that applied last year. Good luck to everyone waiting at USF and elsewhere. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks for the good thoughts:) Best of luck to you too. Dont be too anxious to join this club...its no fun, entails too much waiting, and i am "sick of waiting" :)

Hey waiterz...I'm on the USF stresslist too. According to Mr. Larkin, I'm within the group of students that were accepted last year. The good thing about this situation is that there's really nothing we can do. Our scores are done, the list is set, and nothing will change our positions between now and August except seats becoming available.

peace

frulo78 said:
Hey waiterz...I'm on the USF stresslist too. According to Mr. Larkin, I'm within the group of students that were accepted last year. The good thing about this situation is that there's really nothing we can do. Our scores are done, the list is set, and nothing will change our positions between now and August except seats becoming available.

peace

Welcome to the club and congratulations on the good spot! Please let us know when you hear anything good from Larkin because it sounds like you will hear before I do. Is USF your top choice? Are you in anywhere else?

So does anyone have recommendations on how to pass time without thinking about getting off the waitlist all the time? :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lizzie said:
So does anyone have recommendations on how to pass time without thinking about getting off the waitlist all the time? :laugh: :laugh:

I go running/jogging; either with headphones/music or just clear my head and think about absolutely nothing! The upside to this: I'm getting in better shape than I've been in years :D

I'm on it. Found out back in October. Larkin told me I am in a spot that has gotten in the last three years. Still totally stressing it though. Also on the wait list at miami--usf is definitely my first choice though. I feel ya.

yea! Another person to join our waitlist group! :clap: Congratualtions to you on your good spot.

Have any of you been calling Larkin to see how things are progressing? I think I am going to call later in the week, but don't expect to hear about much movement until May. :scared:

So anyone do anything fun lately?

I was in the same position last year and in March was told "slightly above the 'cut-off' and based on last year acceptance probably by early June." That's exactly when I got my acceptance.

Hang in there. The wait is tough I know all too well. Make sure you have other outlets - exercise is good. That's what I used to do.

Also, I used to call Larkin about once a month. He's a very patient and helpful man and wasn't irritated at all at my constant calls. Also, USF is known for good waitlist movement, so hang in there. Don't worry if it doesn't move much before ~ May 15th - that's usually the situation every year. After that though, the movement is good.

GOOD LUCK!

Lizzie-you from tampa?

lil pook said:
Lizzie-you from tampa?

yep... I am really hoping that I get to go back. What about you?

Lizzie said:
yep... I am really hoping that I get to go back. What about you?

yeah, me too. I talked to Larkin today. He said I should expect a call in like 3-4 weeks. God I hope he doesn't have me mixed up with someone else. Crazy- the things that go through your mind ya know?

Just thought that I would give the thread a bump. Haven't heard from "still waiting" in awhile. You still there kid?

DrPharaoh, thanks for the kind words by the way. I think I am in for the long wait, but if I get in it will be worth it in the end.

What's your guys' stats if you don't mind me asking in addition to all of your extracurriculars? I'm planning on applying to USF COM, etc. next spring so i wish you all the best and hope to be future classmates.

my my getting a little personal aren't we?

umm, just curious....isn't that what pre-meds are supposed to be?

farvabull said:
umm, just curious....isn't that what pre-meds are supposed to be?

Yes, curious is very good. You are a bull no? PM me and I will give you my stats. I guess you just took the mcat then. How did it go?

lil pook said:
Yes, curious is very good. You are a bull no? PM me and I will give you my stats. I guess you just took the mcat then. How did it go?

Yup, a bull indeed. Although i am only a sophomore, u know, one of those really annoying pre-meds. :D I hope you did well on the MCAT, but atleast it's over! Anyways, the stats are no big deal...i just like to gauge and get a general gist of things.

Hey Everyone,
Hope you all have been keeping busy (and sane). Nothing like being locked up in a library to pass the time.

Lizzie: are you referring to me? I'm still here. Same story, different day :(

Thanks DrPharoahX. Your input was motivational :)

hi sick of waiting... (sorry i got the name wrong before). its good to hear you have been keeping busy.

graduation is really soon so that is keeping me pretty occupied, but i am geting sick of fielding the dreaded question of "so what are you doing next year?" :smuggrin:

i am never quite sure how to answer that... hopefully in med school, if not... Reapplying, yeah! The thought of doing this all again makes my toes curl!

okay- this is how you look at the situation. you are gonna get in regardless -right? so having to wait another year just gives you more time to party yer a$$ off and chill before the dreaded 4 years begins.

see? it's all good.

lil pook said:
okay- this is how you look at the situation. you are gonna get in regardless -right? so having to wait another year just gives you more time to party yer a$$ off and chill before the dreaded 4 years begins.

see? it's all good.

Great outlook :D I'd like to have you as a classmate either next year or the year after :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be perfectly honest I am not in a huge rush... I just feel bad for my parents/grandparents/etc. I know why I had such a hard time with admissions this year, and know that it won't be such a struggle next year :luck: , I just don't think my parents are taking the waiting so well....

Lizzie said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be perfectly honest I am not in a huge rush... I just feel bad for my parents/grandparents/etc. I know why I had such a hard time with admissions this year, and know that it won't be such a struggle next year :luck: , I just don't think my parents are taking the waiting so well....

well- pardon me for saying so but if i were your parent i would be extremely proud. tell your parents, if you have to, to wait another year for you. it builds character. plus, you may learn things about yourself you never knew.

don't worry Lizzie...you'll get in after ppl drop on May 15...I know of a couple that are!

lil pook said:
well- pardon me for saying so but if i were your parent i would be extremely proud. tell your parents, if you have to, to wait another year for you. it builds character. plus, you may learn things about yourself you never knew.

lil pook- you crack me up! :laugh: I hope that you are my classmate. I guess I should clarify though... My parents are VERY proud of me... all along though they took the rejections/waitlists/waiting a lot worse than I did. They are always asking me "how I am holding up" and such. They are so cute, I just wish I could have applied and not told them anything until it was good news!

I am glad that we have this thread, it is nice to be able to encourage each other :love:

OntheRoof55 said:
don't worry Lizzie...you'll get in after ppl drop on May 15...I know of a couple that are!

Thanks for the info! It is a good mental boost to know that some seats will be opening up!

a kid in my class just got in off the wait like 2 weeks ago. it's starting to move

Nice to hear about the movement. I don't know anyone getting in off the list or dropping, but I think movement this early is a good sign. :D

Hey everyone, I came to join the club! :) I am on the waitlist too and am really hoping to get in. I have also heard that a little bit of movement has occurred so far. Let's hope that it keeps moving right along!

Yeah! The more the merrier!

So I am now officially on two waitlists... I got the letter from UF on Monday. Just between us and everyone else on SDN, I would much rather have USF! There was just a great feeling I had from USF that wasn't there at UF.

Anyone else have other waitlists or acceptances?

waitlisted at UM. really want USF though....BADLY.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist from me, too. :luck: I'm curious about what made you guys prefer USF over UF or UM. I am definitely going to apply to UF and USF this summer, and probably UM also, so I'd be interested in hearing what you liked and disliked about each school. Also, are any of you planning to do research while in medical school, and did that affect your decision at all?

Lizzie said:
Anyone else have other waitlists or acceptances?

I'm also waitlisted at UM...

QofQuimica said:
Good luck to everyone on the waitlist from me, too. :luck: I'm curious about what made you guys prefer USF over UF or UM. I am definitely going to apply to UF and USF this summer, and probably UM also, so I'd be interested in hearing what you liked and disliked about each school. Also, are any of you planning to do research while in medical school, and did that affect your decision at all?

I just liked the feeling at USF. I think part of of the decision for medical school is based on your gut, where you feel like you belong. That is if you are lucky enough to get in multiple places.

I am not very interested in research, I do know that Miami and UF are better if that is what interests you, at least for now.

Lizzie said:
I just liked the feeling at USF. I think part of of the decision for medical school is based on your gut, where you feel like you belong. That is if you are lucky enough to get in multiple places.

I am not very interested in research, I do know that Miami and UF are better if that is what interests you, at least for now.

Miami and UF are nationally ranked based on their research, that's true. But if you're not interested in research then I wouldn't pay too much attention to those rankings. USF offers excellent clinical training. That's the biggest strength of USF BY FAR in my opinion. So I'm happy here at USF without the school being ranked for research. The new dean, however, trying to change all of that and get us onto the national rankings. There is a summer research program in place where you just pick a researcher/physician from a list and you automatically get hooked up with about $2600 and a research project. I'm doing brain tumor vaccine research this summer at the Moffitt Cancer Center with a neurosurgeon. So research definitely is available at USF. Hope this helps with some of your decisions. Bottom line is anywhere you go - USF, UF, Miami - you'll get a great education. But don't just base your decision on where the research rankings put each school because there's a big difference between research and clinical skills.

mikedc813 said:
Miami and UF are nationally ranked based on their research, that's true. But if you're not interested in research then I wouldn't pay too much attention to those rankings. USF offers excellent clinical training. That's the biggest strength of USF BY FAR in my opinion. So I'm happy here at USF without the school being ranked for research. The new dean, however, trying to change all of that and get us onto the national rankings. There is a summer research program in place where you just pick a researcher/physician from a list and you automatically get hooked up with about $2600 and a research project. I'm doing brain tumor vaccine research this summer at the Moffitt Cancer Center with a neurosurgeon. So research definitely is available at USF. Hope this helps with some of your decisions. Bottom line is anywhere you go - USF, UF, Miami - you'll get a great education. But don't just base your decision on where the research rankings put each school because there's a big different between research and clinical skills.

I've not applied yet, but I agree with you final statement about clinical vs. research. I've heard several doctors around USF say they went to UF med school, but like the clinical training of USF area better because of their varied hospitals and facilities.

i can only say that it just felt right. that's corny, i know, but that's really how i base most really important decisions.

My friend was on the waitlist for USF last year..and it's true, she was waitlisted until mid june-july. good news is she got in and she's finishing up her first year at USF COM! good luck to everyone who is waitlisted!

Hey guys!! I wanted to let you all know that I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning telling me that I was accepted! :) (Although, I'm still in disbelief and will feel better once I have something on paper confirming it! :) ) So it looks like the waitlist is still moving along pretty well. If any of you are wondering, I was originally told that I was in a strong position, but I didn't think I'd hear anything until after may 15th... so it looks like things may be moving faster than expected! Good luck to all of you, and keep me posted!

kcnic said:
Hey guys!! I wanted to let you all know that I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning telling me that I was accepted! :) (Although, I'm still in disbelief and will feel better once I have something on paper confirming it! :) ) So it looks like the waitlist is still moving along pretty well. If any of you are wondering, I was originally told that I was in a strong position, but I didn't think I'd hear anything until after may 15th... so it looks like things may be moving faster than expected! Good luck to all of you, and keep me posted!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

CONGRATS kcnic WAY TO GO!!!!!! aplaud aplaud

awesome kcnic!! i know you're down with some mean celebrating!!