USF Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jagstalker said:
My dermatologist (at Cedars and teaches for UM school of Med) told me that USF actually has the highest board scores in the state of Florida!!! And she was honest with me since she went to UM for med and it's not like she's biased or whatnot! So woohoo to that :)

Great to hear. Why do people say that USF doesn't have as competitive residency matches if they have higher board scores??????? Wow this has become a living paradox.

But anyhow, I was going to bring up this post to find out if any of you all have heard any more news about your waitlist status??????? GOOD LUCK ALL.

Members don't see this ad.

are you going to USF guju?

gujuDoc said:
Great to hear. Why do people say that USF doesn't have as competitive residency matches if they have higher board scores??????? Wow this has become a living paradox.

But anyhow, I was going to bring up this post to find out if any of you all have heard any more news about your waitlist status??????? GOOD LUCK ALL.

gujuDoc said:

My response would be that UF has more prestige in terms of research. They are ranked pretty high while USF really isn't on the map. That is trying to be changed by the new USF dean though....

Members don't see this ad :)
OntheRoof55 said:
are you going to USF guju?

I'm an undergrad at USF right now. I'm not starting at the med school in the fall because I am going to do some postbac before applying. However, many of my friends that did undergrad here at USF are going to be starting there in the fall. I know of at least 10-20 students that will be there in the fall. Many of these people were in my prereq classes or people that I volunteered or did research with. Some of them had been through a lot of stuff with this process, mainly due to problems with the MCAT and were really stressed about having to go to the Carribbean. Luckily those people who were worried about not getting into a US school got off the USF waitlist. Others could only apply to USF due to the fact that they had a spouse to think about, and were stressed cuz if they didn't get in here it would mean they wouldn't be able to apply elsewhere due to family situation. So knowing that all of these friends of mine had luck with getting off the waitlist or getting in without being waitlisted was a real blessing this year.

For all of you who are still waiting, don't give up hope. One thing all my friends said is talk to keep in touch with Mr. Larkin because he'll both be direct with you and a real help if you end up having to go through the process again. Scroll a few pages forward and read the story I posted about my friend who got off the waitlist. Its a real inspiration since this was one of only 2 interviews that he had, and at that, his interview was the very last possible interview available. Read the post from before and good luck.

mikedc813 said:
My response would be that UF has more prestige in terms of research. They are ranked pretty high while USF really isn't on the map. That is trying to be changed by the new USF dean though....

Oh ok. I think I would still pick USF over UF if given the choice. But I'm biased since I don't like Gainesville from my visits there when my brother used to go out there for undergrad.

That and I've done research at the med school, volunteered with the VA and Shriner's, and have gotten to know Mr. Larkin and Dr. Specter through Premed AMSA meetings over the years. Hence, I've gotten a good feel for the school and for the atmosphere at USF. I hope that when I eventually apply, that I will get in here.

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. I think I would still pick USF over UF if given the choice. But I'm biased since I don't like Gainesville from my visits there when my brother used to go out there for undergrad.

That and I've done research at the med school, volunteered with the VA and Shriner's, and have gotten to know Mr. Larkin and Dr. Specter through Premed AMSA meetings over the years. Hence, I've gotten a good feel for the school and for the atmosphere at USF. I hope that when I eventually apply, that I will get in here.

The admissions department and student affairs are awesome. Rel who directs admissions personally calls each person who gets an interview and will tell you where you stand if you are placed on the waitlist. He told me I was at the top of the list and in fact I got in on May 12, just before the May 15 deadline. Student Affairs promotes a very friendly atmosphere. I had never talked to Dr. Specter but he came up to me once and say Hi Michael how's it going. Dean Klasko set up a faculty versus the 1st year class basketball game and brought food and drinks. So the administration definitely try to set up a "family-like" atmosphere here.

mikedc813 said:
The admissions department and student affairs are awesome. Rel who directs admissions personally calls each person who gets an interview and will tell you where you stand if you are placed on the waitlist. He told me I was at the top of the list and in fact I got in on May 12, just before the May 15 deadline. Student Affairs promotes a very friendly atmosphere. I had never talked to Dr. Specter but he came up to me once and say Hi Michael how's it going. Dean Klasko set up a faculty versus the 1st year class basketball game and brought food and drinks. So the administration definitely try to set up a "family-like" atmosphere here.

Yah I had read about that basketball thing on here some time ago.

I've never met Dean Klasko, but Dr. Specter and Mr. Larkin are just two very wonderful people that I couldn't speak more highly of. For that matter, I finally met Dr. Williams this past spring. He was also equally nice. I have to say that all 3 are very good public speakers and that Dr. Williams was definitely very hillarious in his presentation on med school admissions to AED back in mid spring of this year.

I like the directness of USF and the fact that Mr. Larkin and the rest of the staff really go out of their way to help you by telling you how to improve your chances if you don't get in the first time. At other places, I've heard the admissions directors say the typical basic obvious things, but never promote any suggestions better your application. USF, on the other hand, seems very good about doing that. I'm so glad USF got that new SMP program too. Florida's been needing one of those for a while now.

Hello all.

I have a specific question for everyone, preferably for any USF med students out there. I've heard that professors at USF SOM post their lecture slides before lectures, so that students may print the slides and bring them to class. Anyone know if this is so?

Thanks

I am first time poster, but I read this thread and had to reply.

I just finished my first year at USF and loved every minute of it. I was on the waitlist last year biting my nails last summer. I know the waiting gets agonizing, but the only thing I can tell you is Rel is as honest as he can be. He really doesn't try to inflate your status. He is very honest, and I spent lots of time last summer emailing him for updates. My advice: keep busy and enjoy your summer, because when that call comes... it's a race to get everything done before August.

In response to your question, we get 8 GLORIOUS weeks off! :clap:

I hope to see you in August! good luck!

how do you think the education as well as the enviornment at USF compares to perhaps some of the other med schools? How are the other students?

noles925 said:

I just finished my first year at USF and loved every minute of it. I was on the waitlist last year biting my nails last summer. I know the waiting gets agonizing, but the only thing I can tell you is Rel is as honest as he can be. He really doesn't try to inflate your status. He is very honest, and I spent lots of time last summer emailing him for updates. My advice: keep busy and enjoy your summer, because when that call comes... it's a race to get everything done before August.

Hey noles925...I'm glad you're so happy about your first year at USF. I'm going to start mine this Fall, and I'm definately looking forward to it! I agree with you, Mr. Larkin is very transparent when it comes to telling applicants about their position of the list, I am very thankful for that.

I have a question for you. During first year, do professors post their lecture slides up on blackboard before the lectures, so that students can print them out and bring them to class? Thanks.

noles925 said:

frulo78 said:
Hey noles925...I'm glad you're so happy about your first year at USF. I'm going to start mine this Fall, and I'm definately looking forward to it! I agree with you, Mr. Larkin is very transparent when it comes to telling applicants about their position of the list, I am very thankful for that.

I have a question for you. During first year, do professors post their lecture slides up on blackboard before the lectures, so that students can print them out and bring them to class? Thanks.

Hey Noles! good to see you've finally posted on here
:laugh:

anyways, yes all professors post their lectures on blackboard prior to lectures. in some rare cases some guest lectures might not be able to get them up, but 99% of the time they are up there. i forget if i mentioned this before but all classes will be video streamed starting next year for both MS1s and MS2s

Just had to say that another friend just got off the waitlist like 4 days ago. So all of you waiting to hear back keep your fingers crossed. You never know what may happen. Oh and keep at it. Maybe REL can post something that will ease your all's fears since he's been posting on here quite a bit lately.

Good luck. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I hope some of you get the good fortune to get into USF to join my many friends that will be there next year with you all.