USF Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gujuDoc and lil pook, thanks so much! :)

gujuDoc: I think that I saw you post somewhere before that you haven't applied yet so I wish you the best of luck when you do!! :) Where are you wanting to go??

lil pook: According to your previous posts, you should be hearing soon too right?? :) Good luck to you and be sure to post when you get the good news!!

Members don't see this ad.

kcnic said:
Hey guys!! I wanted to let you all know that I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning telling me that I was accepted! :) (Although, I'm still in disbelief and will feel better once I have something on paper confirming it! :) ) So it looks like the waitlist is still moving along pretty well. If any of you are wondering, I was originally told that I was in a strong position, but I didn't think I'd hear anything until after may 15th... so it looks like things may be moving faster than expected! Good luck to all of you, and keep me posted!

Congrats! I was in your same exact position last year. I was told I was at the top of the list, and Mr. Larkin called me right before the May 15th deadline. You are going to have a great time at USF next year. Feel free to ask any questions about 1st year at USF, since I'm just finishing my 1st year up there. I can't believe I only have a month left until the summer.... You probably won't believe me until you're here but time FLIES when you're in med school. It really really does. It feels like I just started my first day like last week. But it's such a great ride. Anyways, good luck to everyone else who are waiting to hear from Larkin.

All ya'll waitlisted at USF...I am accepted but will drop if I get into my top school (waitlisted there) so pray for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OnTheRoof.... Please keep us updated on how things go for you. I am praying for you. What school are you waiting on?

Well I found out yesterday that I got into Drexel. I never in a million years thought that I would get an outright acceptance. I figured that they would be full since I interviewed there only 3 weeks ago. Today is my graduation and I am going to tell my parents and everyone at dinner tonight :love: :love: :love:

I am still waiting on USF, it is my top choice, but as I am sure everyone else will see, it is such a relief to know that you have somewhere to go next year!

kcnic said:
Hey guys!! I wanted to let you all know that I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning telling me that I was accepted! :) (Although, I'm still in disbelief and will feel better once I have something on paper confirming it! :) ) So it looks like the waitlist is still moving along pretty well. If any of you are wondering, I was originally told that I was in a strong position, but I didn't think I'd hear anything until after may 15th... so it looks like things may be moving faster than expected! Good luck to all of you, and keep me posted!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy:

Congratulations!!!!

damn lizzie!! holy ****- you got in!!!!!!! man-congrats to you. your family is gonna totally freak huh? bet you can't wait to tell em all. damn i am really happy for you. good job. i got a feeling thought that you will be my class mate in august--just a feeling ;)

Hey Everyone..I've been held hostage against my will in the library (finals-time :( ), so haven't checked board in a while. Anyways, a big CONGRATULATIONS to Kcnic and Lizzie!!! :)

Ontheroof55: Thanks for letting us know about your situation; Please keep us updated. I'm praying for you and I hope your praying for us :)

Lizzie said:
Well I found out yesterday that I got into Drexel. I never in a million years thought that I would get an outright acceptance. I figured that they would be full since I interviewed there only 3 weeks ago. Today is my graduation and I am going to tell my parents and everyone at dinner tonight :love: :love: :love:

I am still waiting on USF, it is my top choice, but as I am sure everyone else will see, it is such a relief to know that you have somewhere to go next year!

Lizzie, congratulations on the acceptance to Drexel and on graduation!!! That's really awesome! :) I really think that USF will work out for you though especially if things are similar to last year's waitlist movement (and so far it appears like it's moving along pretty fast :thumbup: )

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that you are all in my thoughts and I hope things work out for all of you. I was lucky enough to get an acceptance, but my fiance has been put on the waitlist. :( I am really hoping that it is a good year and everyone who really wants USF will be accepted! Hopefully we can be classmates next year. I will be sure to check in time to time to see how things are going! Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

hey everybody. i got the call. i am in!! the waitlist is moving super fast so don't sweat it. :) :) :)

lil pook said:
hey everybody. i got the call. i am in!! the waitlist is moving super fast so don't sweat it. :) :) :)

I am so glad to hear that! I just had to call my fiance and let him know and he is so relieved that the list is moving! Go out and celebrate tonight! :hardy:

oh i will. thank you and good luck to your fiance!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS lil pook!!! :thumbup: :D That is great news!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting... I wish you all the best!

thanks you guys. thanks so much!!!!

Congrats to kcnic and lil pook! :clap: :thumbup:

Like I said, USF is known for good waitlist movement. I know the waiting is hard, but if Mr. Larkin gave you an estimate then that's probably when you can expect the call - so even if you wait at least you know he gave you a good estimate.

Enjoy your summer, and welcome to USF COM.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in!!

Lizzie: The school that i'm waiting on is Columbia...so plz pray that I get in!!

Just a quick question for those who have already gotten in (Lil Pook and kcnic) both of you have mentioned that the list was moving pretty fast. I was just curious if this was your assessment, or if this is what Larkin told you?

lilybean said:
Just a quick question for those who have already gotten in (Lil Pook and kcnic) both of you have mentioned that the list was moving pretty fast. I was just curious if this was your assessment, or if this is what Larkin told you?

I think it is moving really fast now, because I had about 10 friends whom were on the waitlist and all of them found out that they got in. So good luck to the rest of you still waiting. Anyhow, May 15th is approaching real fast, so I'm sure some of you will find out soon. Good luck and let us know what happens.

hey lilybean - Mr. Larkin did not tell me that the list was moving fast it is just what I concluded based on when I was accepted. Since I got in at the end of April and wasn't expecting to hear good news until mid to the end of May, I was just assuming that things were picking up early like in previous years that I have read about. Let me know if that helps and if that is what you were looking for! :)

kcnic said:
hey lilybean - Mr. Larkin did not tell me that the list was moving fast it is just what I concluded based on when I was accepted. Since I got in at the end of April and wasn't expecting to hear good news until mid to the end of May, I was just assuming that things were picking up early like in previous years that I have read about. Let me know if that helps and if that is what you were looking for! :)

I'm pretty sure your conclusions are correct based on talking around to several students whom I knew were waitlisted just a few weeks ago, and whom are now officially accepted. I think its moving faster because the deadline to pick a school by multiple acceptees is approaching really quickly.

thanks guys for the responses! Just looking for some good news! Thanks.

On a random sidenote, does anyone else find all these "help me decide" polls and threads funny? I am not sure how much I would let strangers help me chose a school, but thats just me :rolleyes: :D

hey lilybean. larkin didn't tell me that either. it's just what i figured since i like others didn't expect to hear from him till mid may and i found out last week. i think you have a good shot so hang in there girl!!!!

I'm glad to hear that people are getting in quicker than they expected. I haven't even been given an estimate from Mr. Larkin other than, "Keep waiting." But it is reassuring to hear about other's success. Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and please continue to do so when you make final decisions:)

To whoever is waiting on their top choice or only school, GOOD LUCK :luck: :luck: :luck:

lilybean said:
thanks guys for the responses! Just looking for some good news! Thanks.

On a random sidenote, does anyone else find all these "help me decide" polls and threads funny? I am not sure how much I would let strangers help me chose a school, but thats just me :rolleyes: :D

Yah they are funny. That's why people started making sarcastic joke threads to make fun of these people. That and I think people get real annoyed with them.

It happens every year. it happened last summer when I first started posting on here.

gujuDoc said:
Yah they are funny. That's why people started making sarcastic joke threads to make fun of these people. That and I think people get real annoyed with them.

It happens every year. it happened last summer when I first started posting on here.

I hope that next spring I can make one of them. The "help me decide" polls, I mean, not the sarcastic comments. But, I promise you that if I'm in the position to be asking you to help me decide between Harvard versus Yale versus Stanford, all on full scholarship of course, and each promising me my own lab, a full professorship, a zillion dollars in start-up money, and ten lab techs to do my bidding, and all of you make sarcastic comments to me, well, I have to say that I just will not give a flying rip. :smuggrin: :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I hope that next spring I can make one of them. The "help me decide" polls, I mean, not the sarcastic comments. But, I promise you that if I'm in the position to be asking you to help me decide between Harvard versus Yale versus Stanford, all on full scholarship of course, and each promising me my own lab, a full professorship, a zillion dollars in start-up money, and ten lab techs to do my bidding, and all of you make sarcastic comments to me, well, I have to say that I just will not give a flying rip. :smuggrin: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Awwwwwwwwww!!!! We all know you are going to get in the school of your choice, and that you are not going to need our help since you'll know from your own heart what school you felt fit your personality etc.

:D ;) :p

To all the waitlist-ees, hang in there. This is when things really start cooking, from what I remember. In the interim, sit back, have a beer (or 2 or 3), and enjoy your freetime before it all hits the fan in the fall!

For those that just got the nod from Larkin, congratulations. You're making a great decision and joining an awesome med school.

lex

well it has been awhile, but i am back for now. i took some time off after graduation to go see some friends. it is good that the list is starting to move!

does anyone know if we are supposed to do anything as far as financial aid if we are only on the waitlist?

Well, I finally got into USF today. A friend of mine also got in today, so hang in there everyone. Last year I waited into August and never got "the call". I'm glad to know that its over for me, but I'll be around to support whoever is still waiting. Lizzie, REL told me today that he would have FA e-mail me a link to their application (I need my package ASAP, so I am comfortable declining at another school). There is one on the website that only takes like 5 minutes, but I won't know if this is all there is to it until I get that e-mail. My suggestion would be to read through the pdf manual to FA that is available on the FA website. This will make sure you're prepared to talk with them. You may also want to go ahead and research the lenders that are listed in the manual, as choosing one is part of the application. I hope to see all of you at USF next year.

kwgold said:
Well, I finally got into USF today. A friend of mine also got in today, so hang in there everyone. Last year I waited into August and never got "the call". I'm glad to know that its over for me, but I'll be around to support whoever is still waiting. .

Congratulations! :) :) :)

Congratulations, kwgold! See you in August!!! :)

Anyone hear anything lately?

lilybean said:
Anyone hear anything lately?

I have to share some exciting news on this thread. I have a very good friend whom had a gpa near the average accepted but had taken the MCAT 3 times due to issues with the Verbal section. English isn't this person's first language, so the score didn't improve no matter how hard they tried. Anyhow, they got the last possible interview date and waitlisted. On May 16th this same friend got the call from Larkin, informing that they were accepted to USF med school. I'm sooooo happy for this person, because the said person I'm referring to, has been through a lot with this process and is a really really good friend of mine.

Good luck to all of you all. You might want to call Mr. Larkin and ask your status and also what your chances are. Maybe write letters of intent, and that may help you get a foot in. If you don't get off this year, and are not accepted elsewhere, then in the next round....ask them what you can do to improve to get a higher chance of acceptance.

gujuDoc: great news about your friend! I'm happy for him/her.

Still haven't heard anything, but if I do, I'll post here immediately after I stop screaming hysterically. :D

Hey people, just trying to keep this thread alive. Anyone heard from Mr. Larkin recently?

samsara said:
Hey people, just trying to keep this thread alive. Anyone heard from Mr. Larkin recently?

i think they are still taking people

Hey Everyone,

Still no word here. I thought I might have been the only one still waiting, but I guess not. Here's to hoping June will be the month for those of us still in the game :luck:

OntheRoof55: Didn't know you got off the Columbia waitlist! Congrats!!

Just finished my last test as a MSI today! If anyone has any questions about first year at USF feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I think I might be involved in planning events for the new first years during orientation. We're gonna have some fun events.

mikedc813 said:
Just finished my last test as a MSI today! If anyone has any questions about first year at USF feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I think I might be involved in planning events for the new first years during orientation. We're gonna have some fun events.

Congrats on finishing first year :) I know post M1 summer plans have been addressed on other threads, but what are you and your classmates doing this summer? (I hope the words 'having fun' and 'relaxing' are somewhere in your answer :) )

Hope to meet you and everyone else in August!

mikedc813 said:

Congrats. I bet it must be a relief. So how long do you get off before Second year starts or do you all have classes in the summer???? Do you have to do electives or anything in the summer or is that for people doing joint programs only???

Just to let everyone know, I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning. He originally told me I would get an acceptance offer some time in late June so I think this shows that the list is still moving ahead of original projections. Good luck to everyone out there, and if I don't hear from my first choice soon, I will be at USF this coming year

Congratulations, bornguitar! That's great. I hope to see you at USF, but good luck with your first choice school as well!

bornguitar said:
Just to let everyone know, I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning. He originally told me I would get an acceptance offer some time in late June so I think this shows that the list is still moving ahead of original projections. Good luck to everyone out there, and if I don't hear from my first choice soon, I will be at USF this coming year

Congrats. So where's your top choice??? One of my friends that was waitlisted at USF, got off the waitlist but gave up her spot after getting into UF. UF was her original alma mater so she really wanted to go there.

Does anyone know if it is true that USF has shown higher board scores then UF over the past several years??? Someone told me that. But then someone else told me that UF has higher board scores on average then USF. Which is true??? Just curious.

bornguitar said:

Same here. I finally got the call yesterday morning. It was a relief, to say the least. Previously I was also told by Mr. Larkin that I should be hearing from them sometime in mid June, so things must be moving fast.

sick of waiting said:
Congrats on finishing first year :) I know post M1 summer plans have been addressed on other threads, but what are you and your classmates doing this summer? (I hope the words 'having fun' and 'relaxing' are somewhere in your answer :) )

Hope to meet you and everyone else in August!

I'm doing research at Moffitt with a neurosurgeon. He's interested in brain tumors, so hopefully I learn a lot this summer. Most people are not doing research, but about 20-30 of us are, which is about 1/4 of the class. I know a ton of people going to Europe, which is a great idea since this is our last extended break for a long long time.... I plan on having fun though this summer, don't worry! :)

gujuDoc said:
Congrats. I bet it must be a relief. So how long do you get off before Second year starts or do you all have classes in the summer???? Do you have to do electives or anything in the summer or is that for people doing joint programs only???

I have 2 months off, so from June 3 (today) until Aug 1 when I start 2nd year. We can do whatever we want during that time....

gujuDoc said:
Congrats. So where's your top choice??? One of my friends that was waitlisted at USF, got off the waitlist but gave up her spot after getting into UF. UF was her original alma mater so she really wanted to go there.

Does anyone know if it is true that USF has shown higher board scores then UF over the past several years??? Someone told me that. But then someone else told me that UF has higher board scores on average then USF. Which is true??? Just curious.

I haven't seen the data myself, but several people in my class who got into both UF and USF have told me that USF has had higher board scores. In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter since the two averages should more or less be pretty similar. All I know is USF has prepared me well so far...

Great to see so much movement and activity on the board :)

Mikedc813- sounds amazing. I'm sure you'll learn alot and have a blast. While shadowing I got to see MRIs of a patient with tumors I can't even pronouce, but nevertheless it was awesome.

Samsara and bornguitar- Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of summer :)
I really hope everyone here gets their top choice :) :)

My dermatologist (at Cedars and teaches for UM school of Med) told me that USF actually has the highest board scores in the state of Florida!!! And she was honest with me since she went to UM for med and it's not like she's biased or whatnot! So woohoo to that :)

gujuDoc said: