USIMG interview/rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
driverabu said:
Rejection from UNC for prelim med. Hey lvspro, did wake notify you via e- or snailmail? Thanks and good luck to you all!

By snail mail

Members don't see this ad.

driverabu said:
Rejection from UNC for prelim med. Hey lvspro, did wake notify you via e- or snailmail? Thanks and good luck to you all!

Snail.
Prolly the nicest rejexn yet though "you are an excellent candidate, and we wish we could interview you, but..."

Oh well, I have a ton of "dream" programs, so a bunch of rejexns is expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where should I start!?
Gas rejections - Loyola and Mayo(Jacksonville).....might as well add Mayo in MN!!
TY rejections - Forest Park
Prelim med rejections - Baptist in Nashville

One invite today though!! University of Missouri - Kansas City. So far I have 13 gas invites and 8 rejections.....60 more to go!!!

Another prelim med invite just a while ago from Exempla St. Joseph's in Denver.

Rejection: Loyola
2 invites 13 rejections

:thumbdown: U of Colorado.+pity+
Damn, I'm gettin a whole helluva lot of rejexns lately. Oh well, out of 94 applications, I should be able to get at least 1 residency... I hope

lvspro said:
:thumbdown: U of Colorado.+pity+
Damn, I'm gettin a whole helluva lot of rejexns lately. Oh well, out of 94 applications, I should be able to get at least 1 residency... I hope

Not to worry...I think Swaydaa got rejected last yr from Colorado initially, then received an invite. Anyhow, you're right, you'll get a good spot somewhere!

veetz said:
Not to worry...I think Swaydaa got rejected last yr from Colorado initially, then received an invite. Anyhow, you're right, you'll get a good spot somewhere!

Thanks man. I hope we're both graced with a good spot somewhere.

Have you heard this $h!t before, i got an interview at Buffalo, asked if there would be a later date to interview and got the invite pulled!

The Pill Counter said:
Have you heard this $h!t before, i got an interview at Buffalo, asked if there would be a later date to interview and got the invite pulled!

That bites...sorry to hear.

The Pill Counter said:

Well buddy, hasn't happened yet, but I also emailed them back to see if there were other dates available....they'll probably pull mine as well. Anyways, like they can afford to be THAT picky!! It's Buffalo!!!! Oh well, hang in there, we will get a position somewhere...hopefully where we want!

Another rejection today from U of Colorado....I'll probably go ahead and cancel my St. Joseph Exempla invite now :mad:

Well it mattered to me, my family lives 30 minutes away on the canadian side. i have 228 step 1 , 219 step 2, pharmacy background, what the f^&k are they looking for?
screw em, an unvitation, let em match 2 out of 8 again this year, they deserve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Pill Counter said:
Well it mattered to me, my family lives 30 minutes away on the canadian side. i have 228 step 1 , 219 step 2, pharmacy background, what the f^&k are they looking for?
screw em, an unvitation, let em match 2 out of 8 again this year, they deserve it.

That's exactly what I am saying...with that attitude they are going to end up matching 2/8. I truly am sorry that Buffalo did that to you man....that really sucks. I just interviewed today at Rochester and I met 2 dudes from SUNY Buffalo. One of them told me that he also had those 3 dates filled and when he asked if he could be accomodated, the director just told him to stop by his office for the "interview." He was telling me that they are very disorganized....hmmm....maybe that's why they don't meet their quota. With those scores and background, they should be kissing your arse!!

Invites: JHU, Mayo (MN), U. FL, U. NM, Miami, Med. U. of Ohio, Wayne State, MCOW, Rush, SLR.

Rejections...CCF, Med. College of Georgia, Albert Einstein, Columbia, MGH (ouch!), Loyola.

Interview waiting list: Thomas Jefferson, U.Pittsburgh

Rejection from Oklahoma.... :mad:

lvspro said:
Ditto
And umich too :mad:

I'm getting the feeling that most programs have almost all of their interview slots filled by now, and are pretty much going through a second round to make sure they didn't miss any of the stellar US candidates. I think the flaw with all of this is that a ton of candidates are shotgunning, and there may be quite a few programs that end up not filling.

Either way, I'm regretting going caribbean right now. I always thought that merit would trump pedigree, but I'm learning the cold hard truth that that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not expecting an interview at Hopkins, but gimme a break... 94 programs, and only 5 anes invites... what gives. Anyhow, it's gonna be a cut-throat year for us IMG's... I'm predicting that only 10-15% of the slots fill w/IMG, and mainly at IMG-heavy hospitals. This is in comparison to last years ~30% as per below table.
http://www.asahq.org/images/grogTab30505Large.gif
If y'all are getting the same vibes, lemme know.

Its just a reflection of the competitiveness of anesthesia and the increased interest amongst AMGs. Programs would prefer to fill with AMGS, as is what you are experiencing.

lvspro said:
I'm getting the feeling that most programs have almost all of their interview slots filled by now, and are pretty much going through a second round to make sure they didn't miss any of the stellar US candidates. I think the flaw with all of this is that a ton of candidates are shotgunning, and there may be quite a few programs that end up not filling.

Either way, I'm regretting going caribbean right now. I always thought that merit would trump pedigree, but I'm learning the cold hard truth that that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not expecting an interview at Hopkins, but gimme a break... 94 programs, and only 5 anes invites... what gives. Anyhow, it's gonna be a cut-throat year for us IMG's... I'm predicting that only 10-15% of the slots fill w/IMG, and mainly at IMG-heavy hospitals. This is in comparison to last years ~30% as per below table.

lvspro said:

Ditto...my first mistake way back when was not applying to medical school outside of Texas....I don't know what the hell I was thinking! Now, it's just dealing with the cold hard truth as you say and making the most of the invitations we have received! However, now is still not the time to panic! I asked two of my very close friends who absolutely killed the steps 1 and 2, went to St. George's and both started receiving the majority of their invites during the middle of november. They ended up matching into surgery and radiology in MI.

Right now I'm at 12 rejections and 13 invites for gas

Jackson memorial :thumbdown:

West penn :thumbup:

Anyone know anything about the west penn program?

Rejected from South Florida....the worst one in Florida, what the hell man!!! I really don't expect crap from Jackson-Memorial or UF now that USF has rejected me! +pissed+

driverabu said:
Rejected from South Florida....the worst one in Florida, what the hell man!!! I really don't expect crap from Jackson-Memorial or UF now that USF has rejected me! +pissed+

USF hates IMG's from what I've been told, atleast UF and UMiami have a hx of accepting IMG's into their programs...so, until they say no, I'd say you still have a shot.

driverabu said:

Not an IMG (but a DO so i feel the pain) and I got rejected too! They're on probation, that's some ****! Didn't want to go there, but my fiance has in interview with general surg there (we are in the couples match). Oh well, I will skip the hurricanes, thank you very much!

veetz said:
USF hates IMG's from what I've been told, atleast UF and UMiami have a hx of accepting IMG's into their programs...so, until they say no, I'd say you still have a shot.

Thanks for the encouragement! As long as I get one Florida invite I'll be happy. Congrats on the Tufts invite!! I'll see you on Saturday for our NYMC interview!

driverabu said:
Thanks for the encouragement! As long as I get one Florida invite I'll be happy. Congrats on the Tufts invite!! I'll see you on Saturday for our NYMC interview!

Yep...see you Sat! Let me know if you need a ride or anything like that.

Rejection from Thomas Jeferson, Jackson Memorial, VCU, Michigan.
Invitation from South Florida.
I can't keep track of the rejections any more :rolleyes:
So, Invitations 3, rejections >>3

I called CCF today. They said my application was received on 10/20/05 and the last time they reviewed any applications was 10/19/05. They said they already filled the interview spots and probably would not reopen the application review process this year.

10/19/05 :eek: :eek: What the hell man :mad: :mad:

Monitor said:
I called CCF today. They said my application was received on 10/20/05 and the last time they reviewed any applications was 10/19/05. They said they already filled the interview spots and probably would not reopen the application review process this year.

10/19/05 :eek: :eek: What the hell man :mad: :mad:

So, you submitted your app on 10/20 or was that when they actually downloaded it?

Anesthesia Invites: 3 (NYMC, Advocate, St. Lukes Roosevelt)

Rejection:Thomas Jeff, St Vincent NY, Uni of Miami, Michigan, Loyola, Med College of Georgia, Georgetown, Baystate, Kansas, Montefiore, MGH, Rush, Wayne

Prelim Invites: 9

Can I hope for more????

usmlequestion said:
Anesthesia Invites: 3 (NYMC, Advocate, St. Lukes Roosevelt)

Rejection:Thomas Jeff, St Vincent NY, Uni of Miami, Michigan, Loyola, Med College of Georgia, Georgetown, Baystate, Kansas, Montefiore, MGH, Rush, Wayne

Prelim Invites: 9

Can I hope for more????

I'd say yes...if you can get 9 prelim spots, you should get some more gas invites

University of South Florida and Tufts, still fuming over the unvitation from Buffalo

veetz said:
Invite from Henry Ford

Rejected by U of Kentucky

:)

Congrats on Henry Ford....sorry about U of K. I finally broke the string of like 10 consecutive rejections with an invite from St. Barnabas in Jersey. Also got a prelim med invite from Scott & White today.

Rejection from Virginia Mason....damn it

driverabu said:
Rejection from Virginia Mason....damn it

Ditto
Did their letter seem a little elitist "due to the competitive nature of this program blah blah blah," to you guys/gals? I think I would be more satisfied with an "Sorry, but we don't take IMG's" than some of the watered down versions of what basically amounts to the bird, that I've been getting.
JMHO.

lvspro said:
Ditto
Did their letter seem a little elitist "due to the competitive nature of this program blah blah blah," to you guys/gals? I think I would be more satisfied with an "Sorry, but we don't take IMG's" than some of the watered down versions of what basically amounts to the bird, that I've been getting.
JMHO.

heck... it's not even IMG's.... USgrads are dinged too, but they can have their gunners/elitist in the mists if ya ask me

Rejections i stopped counting them :mad: - only 2 invites from baystate ,drexel

veetz said:
FU by UF today!

Glad to see ya made it back from NY & MUO ok Driver...

Barely!! That was the longest and most tiresome trip I have had to make thus far. Between subways, trains, taxis, and late planes, I am just glad to be back home! No more gas interviews until 12/01 when I go to Little rock. Sorry about UF, I also got the FU a week earlier. Good luck and it was good to meet you! Take care.

Another rejection from Duke