Using DEA numbers from outside the state

Started by Socrates25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Socrates25

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I occassionally moonlight at a rural clinic close to state boundaries, and every once in a while my patient will leave with a sched II narcotic script and try to fill it at their home pharmacy which is across the state border.

Usually I call in advance to the pharmacy and ask if they will honor it -- I get a 50/50 split between yes/no responses.

This seems kind of strange to me -- is this decision up to each pharmacy or are some of the pharmacies breaking the rules by honoring outside DEA numbers?
 
I occassionally moonlight at a rural clinic close to state boundaries, and every once in a while my patient will leave with a sched II narcotic script and try to fill it at their home pharmacy which is across the state border.

Usually I call in advance to the pharmacy and ask if they will honor it -- I get a 50/50 split between yes/no responses.

This seems kind of strange to me -- is this decision up to each pharmacy or are some of the pharmacies breaking the rules by honoring outside DEA numbers?

The DEA number is a federal number. Unless your state has different requirements such as a special form then it shouldnt matter.
 
I occassionally moonlight at a rural clinic close to state boundaries, and every once in a while my patient will leave with a sched II narcotic script and try to fill it at their home pharmacy which is across the state border.

Usually I call in advance to the pharmacy and ask if they will honor it -- I get a 50/50 split between yes/no responses.

This seems kind of strange to me -- is this decision up to each pharmacy or are some of the pharmacies breaking the rules by honoring outside DEA numbers?

DEA numbers are nationwide, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Some pharmacists/pharmacies have policies about out of state C-II scripts. Or, there could be some state law issue at play here.