SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

using goljan

Discussion in 'Step I' started by fizzbot, May 7, 2007.

1. fizzbot

fizzbot Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Hi I am an m1 using goljan to begin summer review, any advice on how to use this guy? I have heard listen to lecture once, read corresponding part in goljan RR, then listen again, any other strategies?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. blz

blz Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2002
    LA
    summer 'review' implies you've covered the material already. as an ms1, you know nothing he's gonna tell you.

4. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    Has it become some sort of common practice to review for this test a year before the test date? :scared:

5. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2003
    the bay
    i think he means 'preview' and he is going to listen to the Goljan BECAUSE he knows nothing about what the subject.

6. fizzbot

Apr 1, 2004
    aye. that would be correct, more of a preview or path, review of phys kinda, any help would be appreciated

7. blz

blz Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2002
    LA
    Ok well if you are going to be suicidal and try this, make sure you read the RR chapter in the path book before you listen to the audio. He assumes you understand some stuff so you won't be completely lost if you read the chapter first (his lectures follow the chapters in the book pretty closely).

8. fizzbot

Apr 1, 2004
    awesome ok, thanks, hope all yall' m2's tear it up

9. domer621

domer621 MS4 5+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I don't think you'll appreciate anything he says until next year, dude. If you really want to study over summer, pick something you just learned like physio.

10. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni 10+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Houston, TX

thats wat im doin...and biochem

11. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I've been listening to Goljan throughout my MS1 and I think it's benefited me a great deal. I could see how it would be less useful in a traditional curriculum where you don't even open a path book till MS2, but this definitely isn't true for a PBL curriculum.

This summer I'll prob review the path, pharm and micro we've covered already and maybe review some selected parts of phys and biochem.

12. lekky

lekky 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2006
    i'm not in PBL, but I also agree that listening to it over the summer would be helpful, at least for the general path topics, like inflammation, injury,etc. Or the best thing to do would be listening to him as you are covering the subjects in school, which I now wish I had done but I dont see anything wrong with startin early, don listen to what some ppl say, I wish I would have started earlier myself now that I'm pressed for time :oops:

13. FrogE7

Jul 31, 2003
    the bay
    Thank you for being so honest. I really don't understand why people are so negative. I know myself and how I study by now. I need to see things over and over again and from how first year went, I never had time to even review material that was covered THAT year. I would read lectures over a few times, do old exams, and that was it. Second year, from what I hear is a lot more work, meaning less time, AND I have to worry about boards. I'm actually scared of what is yet to come :scared:

14. JayneCobb

JayneCobb big damn hero.... Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    My suggestion is to enjoy your last summer and don't go through all of pathology. If I were to do it over again, I'd only study a month ahead of the class schedule during that summer. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

15. N-Surge

N-Surge Emeritus Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2005
    QFT! The enjoyment is what I did. If anything, pick up Robbins. No joke! Even Baby Robbins. Sure, it's a big book. Well, get started already! :) The review books are for review, so I've learned. Every chapter of Robbins I read during M2, supplemented with review (i.e. RR Goljan), I think I managed to score higher on those particular exams.

Whatever you read, read it to enjoy it and not to drill it in just yet. You will have plenty of time to burn yourself out during the year.

16. FrogE7

Jul 31, 2003
    the bay
    Over the school year did you read Robbins or Baby Robbins? Big Robbins scares me too.

17. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig 10+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2005
    I agree. Stop trying to cut corners, you pre-med types.

If you're an incoming first year, then you need to get your hands on Big Robbins and start working on that puppy ASAP. Rapid review is just that... a REVIEW. Its best used AFTER you've already learned the path formally the first time (and by extension, learning path correctly the first time means getting through Big Robbins).

If you can finish Robbins by the end of first year (or by the middle of 2nd year), not only will you conquer path... but you should have a strong grasp of biochem, anatomy, histo, embryo and phys as well. No shortcuts in med school folks.

18. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc. 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    I didn't read big robbins at all. I think I opened it about twice, each time to look something up that I found more info online about. All I read for path was goljan review of path, did robbins review of path questions and listened to goljan and did fine. Actually an * on the path section of my step 1 report, which means perfect or near perfect for that section. So don't believe the hype you don't have to read big robbins or any robbins to do well in path. Actually I didn't us any text books during med school, all review books thats it the entire 4 years. As for residency though you bet I'm going to pick up the text book for my field and read it cover to cover before I start.

19. ginger60

ginger60 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Pretty much the same for me. Robbins is NOT necessary unless your school really doesn't teach path (which I would find hard to believe), or you are a masochist or enjoy punishing yourself with loads of unnecessary reading for some other reason. Fizzbot--definitely try to enjoy your last summer ever--if you start reading Robbins now, you will hate yourself for it, I guarantee it. Just my two cents :D

20. gdk

gdk Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2003
    i would say that you will probably get more out of the early lectures, while the later ones are really better after/while you are getting the material in lecture. however, don't let that stop you from listening in your free time b/c it helped me strengthen phsiology and biochem concepts from 1st year since he does a good job of integrating topics. i listened while on the treadmill, stationary bike, or driving to campus.
    also, i would recommend his rapid review book over the grid book if you are looking for a path book. i used his rr book instead of robins in ms2.
    also, are you a 1st year at mcg? pm me or email me at [email protected] if you want to say hey or talk about ms2 stuff.

g

21. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I hear a lot of professors at my school play that line, "you have to learn it before you can review it". I can see where they are coming from, but I also think that "you learn it by reviewing it". Reading Big Robbins and not retaining the key info is not going to help you.

22. eliana05

eliana05

May 10, 2007
    where can i get it? help!

23. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Here
  24. JayneCobb

JayneCobb big damn hero.... Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    It is against the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up. We do not wish for SDN to become a haven which allows blatant copyright infringement. Please do not use SDN to try and acquire copyrighted materials illegally.

Unless you are talking about his Rapid Review book, which can easily be found at any fine online book dealer.