Using Old LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineedabreakplz

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old science LOR from the summer of 2020 that I want to use if I apply for the next 2023-2024 cycle. I know that for many of the schools, we need 2 science letters, and so I really need this letter. However, I tried to contact the letter writer to update the date of the letter, and I was told they left the school. I am not sure how to reach them, as their e-mails are no longer valid either.

Would it be alright to just use this letter, as long as I keep the other letters of recommendation recent?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would be fine. It makes sense if you haven't taken many science classes since then or are non-trad etc. If you've been taking plenty of science courses since then and haven't been able to secure a letter, that might look odd, unless it's a spectacular letter.

Reactions: 1 users
You could try to look up the faculty member on Google to see if they took a position at a different college/university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they're working currently at a different college/ university. I found their Linkedin page, but I am not sure if it is appropriate to reach out to them through that platform?

I will try. However, if it doesn't work out, would I not be able to use that letter? Or is it just worth less in the eyes of the admissions committee?

Would it be alright to just use this letter, as long as I keep the other letters of recommendation recent?
I have many friends who have used 3-4 year old letters without any updates and its never come up as an issue. If you can't get in touch with this person, you should be fine to use it as is.