Using Skype for data collection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G Costanza

Psychologist - Private Practice
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about the typical hurdles for collecting qualitative data over Skype?Anything from IRB approval to security of the connection.

I'm also in the middle of a move and hope to collect data at both locations. Any chance IRB allows me to Skype interview out of my apartments? Ideas to increase my chances?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At my institution, we have received IRB approval to do intervention studies delivered via Skype. Skype will not legally say they are HIPAA compliant, but it is my understanding that their security measures are equivalent. I'm sure the way this plays out is very depenedent on state laws and who your IRB reviewer is, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Helpful info. Thank you!
Any one use skype for qual before?

Success with this may vary significantly by IRB, but mine has generally been quite open to talking with researchers. They know many of the processes/rules are ridiculous and unimportant bureaucracy (not that its necessarily the case here) and are open to working with people to try and figure out solutions. There have been numerous times we've called them to get information on how things have been handled in the past, what they would suggest given x, tell them "We want to do Z, how would you suggest we go about it?". If it goes to full board review there are obviously no guarantees, but I would think finding a contact there is a good way to shortcut the process rather than submitting a half dozen revisions trying to figure out what they will allow.

I've already been through the full board review as my study is working with a vulnerable population. I'm hoping to expand my collection from face to face into Skype as it's been challenging finding participants. I've been holding back in contacting IRB again simply because I want to have a better idea of potential problems/solutions using Skype. Maybe it's time I set up a meeting.

thinking about doing this as well; how are you getting consent?

Through the mail with explicit instructions to call or email me if you have any questions before signing it.

I've already been through the full board review as my study is working with a vulnerable population. I'm hoping to expand my collection from face to face into Skype as it's been challenging finding participants. I've been holding back in contacting IRB again simply because I want to have a better idea of potential problems/solutions using Skype. Maybe it's time I set up a meeting.

My point was just that you will presumably need to file an amendment to get approval for this and talking to one person at the IRB won't guarantee someone won't bring up another issue if it has to go back to full board (versus getting expedited approval from the chair). However, contacting the IRB isn't a bad thing and if you have even a halfway decent one, they will be able to offer pointers and suggestions.

I actually just spoke with the social & behavioral chair of our IRB about contacting them the other day and he said he likes to work with investigators to figure out a solution rather than simply saying no. Again, IRBs will differ in this but in general you shouldn't be scared to talk to them. They are a PITA and largely unnecessary bureaucratic nightmare, but a decent IRB should at least work with you to find a solution. Give them a ring, explain the situation and what you want to do and ask what you would need to do to get approval for online interviews. My university has over 3000 open protocols in social & behavioral alone. Any remotely research-intensive university will have the same. Chances are this isn't the first someone has wanted to do this, chances are they have approved another open protocol to do this and can tell you what they need to see.

Anyone know about the typical hurdles for collecting qualitative data over Skype?Anything from IRB approval to security of the connection.

I'm also in the middle of a move and hope to collect data at both locations. Any chance IRB allows me to Skype interview out of my apartments? Ideas to increase my chances?

Thanks for your help.
If I was on the IRB, I don't think I would let George Costanza anywhere near actual human subjects. Ethical violations just waiting to happen, he couldn't go to a chinese restaurant without causing an incident and didn't he get arrested for peeing in a parking garage? :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
You know...WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY!!!

Reactions: 2 users
If I was on the IRB, I don't think I would let George Costanza anywhere near actual human subjects. Ethical violations just waiting to happen, he couldn't go to a chinese restaurant without causing an incident and didn't he get arrested for peeing in a parking garage? :eek:
He also pees in the health club shower... ;)

I would never let him be my latex salesman.

"You know I always wanted to pretend I was an architect."

OP, as others have stated it probably depends on the leniency of your institutional IRB. If you are at place like the VA, then no chance, I would say.. If they do approve, my guess is you would need to get everyone to sign a new consent with added risks to privacy etc. But that's just a guess. Since you say you are working with a vulnerable population, it may be more difficult.