Using Testbanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a problem at your Uni? I feel like everyone that gets an A/A+ is using a test bank (well not EVERYONE, but like 60% or so).

I can't get myself to use them because I'm way to paranoid, and I need to learn something for the MCAT, but it's just so unfair. It ruins the entire curve, and then people who have no idea what the class is about are getting straight A's.

I feel like this happens at larger universities, where the professors lead 3-4 large sessions, and then just employ test banks to get their questions.

I blame the students, but more than that, the professors, because they are not being fair to all of the students who honestly try.

I don't know, I guess I just had to vent as I got a B trying sincerely hard in this Chemistry class, while my counterparts got A's or A+'s by just memorizing the answer to MC questions...

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck getting any sympathy. Worry less about what others are doing and more about your own performance, and stop making excuses for yourself. Unless your professor specifically "outlawed" the use of old tests, you should've used them.

I honestly doubt any professor outlaws the use of old exams these days as it's impossible to control. In fact most of my professors actually encourage you to look at old tests to get a good idea of their testing style and what may potentially be on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck getting any sympathy. Worry less about what others are doing and more about your own performance, and stop making excuses for yourself. Unless your professor specifically "outlawed" the use of old tests, you should've used them.

That's boss my dude!!! :cool:

A "Testbank" is a purchased key of all the answers that the textbook provides for testing questions that the professor uses. There are upwards of 200 questions per chapter, and students just memorize them. This is not like using old tests, it's obvious cheating. I'm not making excuses for myself, it's people like you who probably cheat and get defensive about it.

A "Testbank" is a purchased key of all the answers that the textbook provides for testing questions that the professor uses. There are upwards of 200 questions per chapter, and students just memorize them. This is not like using old tests, it's obvious cheating. I'm not making excuses for myself, it's people like you who probably cheat and get defensive about it.

whoa!!! it's getting ugly in here!!!!
:laugh:

If this is really a problem then alert your professor. He/she should stop being lazy and actually create a new test. Using old tests is common everywhere (and many of my professors actually provided old tests), but I never knew that you could actually buy the answers to the test bank questions. Then again, I don't know too many professors that use test banks (maybe only in intro courses?).

So you want us to feel sorry for you because you didn't want to go the extra mile that these other students did? I'll freely admit that I was one of those students who didn't just do the problems that the professor assigned. Whatever the topic, I did extra ones simply because it helped me to better understand the material. I call that putting in the work not cheating.

My question to the OP is what are you going to do when the MCAT comes around? What about the USMLE? Are you going to complain because there are people out there who do all of the ExamKrackers, Kaplan and Princeton Review questions? Those are the ones who are going to kick your ass.

If anyone can purchase this I fail to see how it's cheating. They aren't doing anything illegal or even questionably unethical. They sought out a resource and used it. Who cares? Again, if you knew that the professor used this to write his exams and you had access to it, why didn't you use it?

You can say what you want, but the fact is that you're the one stuck with a B with nothing but principles to explain for it. I'm not saying you did the wrong thing necessarily, but you can't choose a course of action and then complain because you chose that course of action.

It's rather annoying when people act "holier than thou" for being an "honorable" student, then complain when they don't receive any of the perks of "slackerdom". OP isn't your whole purpose of not using old test questions to boost your understanding of concepts for MCAT prep? If this is true then you are achieving your goal. Keep calm and stop worrying about other people.

Honestly appalled. I mean I know premeds are all gunners in the end, but to have this type of attitude towards classes is pretty sick.

You don't go the "extra mile" by purchasing resources that are actually only for professors (they are black-market PDF version sold, but the companies ONLY sell to professors). I'm sure that's not "illegal" because even the worst cheating won't get you into legal problems, probably just kicked out of your uni.

Basically what these responses are telling me is that I have to chose one of two paths. Cheat and get good grades, or do it the old fashioned way, where curves are accurate, and slackers don't get straight A's.

Cool, thanks SDN, you always give such great advice!!

I agree with the others here- worry about yourself. Do what it takes, in an honest manner, to get the job done. Don't act as though you are above anyone else. You're gonna need much thicker skin to survive in the profession you hope to join.
YEAH BUDDY!!!!

Honestly appalled. I mean I know premeds are all gunners in the end, but to have this type of attitude towards classes is pretty sick.

You don't go the "extra mile" by purchasing resources that are actually only for professors (they are black-market PDF version sold, but the companies ONLY sell to professors). I'm sure that's not "illegal" because even the worst cheating won't get you into legal problems, probably just kicked out of your uni.

Basically what these responses are telling me is that I have to chose one of two paths. Cheat and get good grades, or do it the old fashioned way, where curves are accurate, and slackers don't get straight A's.

Cool, thanks SDN, you always give such great advice!!

Ummmm, so, why are you here then? More than a few of us in this thread have been accepted to MD schools and are here to help in our own way. Relax bro, study your stuff, and do what you can to make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others here- worry about yourself. Do what it takes, in an honest manner, to get the job done. Don't act as though you are above anyone else. You're gonna need much thicker skin to survive in the profession you hope to join.
YEAH BUDDY!!!!

....have you never taken a college class? I don't care about other students if they aren't hurting me, but if they are of course I'm going to take an interest in their cheating ways. And I'm not better than them, but they obviously don't think much of themselves if they have to rely on test banks to get through college.

Ummmm, so, why are you here then? More than a few of us in this thread have been accepted to MD schools and are here to help in our own way. Relax bro, study your stuff, and do what you can to make it.

Like cheat, thanks man, I really take that to heart <3

Hi OP--

I'm sorry you're frustrated. It's tough when you feel like you're being penalized for doing the right thing by *not* cheating. People like to blow it off, but it's actually a serious problem.

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but rampant cheating on the GMAT (b-school exam) has become legendary. One year nearly every first-year student at Duke's business school was found to have cheated. Especially disturbing was the claim that the GMAT should function as a sort of "free market," where those who didn't cheat chose to put themselves at a disadvantage. Here's an article about it:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/jun2008/bs20080627_391632.htm

More recently--and more pertinent to those here--radiologists cheating on their boards has gotten significant coverage. Here again, the defense is that the exam would be "impossible to pass" if students didn't cheat:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/health/prescription-for-cheating/index.html

With the wonders of technology, the line between cheating/dishonesty and fair play gets pretty fuzzy. If you're concerned about it, ask a professor for his/her specific policy. Are you allowed to use test banks, old exams, etc., or not? Will that policy be enforced? Will violators be punished? What is the punishment?

Some departments/universities have a policy against professors using test banks, re-using old exams, etc. for exams. You might look in to whether your school has such a policy.

Remember, it's possible to express your concerns to professors/administrators without whining and coming across like a goober.

I like to think of SDN as a place where you learn many lessons. In this thread I learned that you can't look for sympathy on SDN. You will get chewed out.

So which one is it: testbanks or "materials only sold to professors"?

....have you never taken a college class? I don't care about other students if they aren't hurting me, but if they are of course I'm going to take an interest in their cheating ways. And I'm not better than them, but they obviously don't think much of themselves if they have to rely on test banks to get through college.

Like cheat, thanks man, I really take that to heart <3

1) I have a MS in chem, with honors, so I think I have taken a few college courses my dude.

2) I have never ever ever cheated in any way in all my years at school, but "he is without sin should cast the first stone." It is obvious you don't cheat on exams, but I assure you that there are other areas of your life you are not perfect in that you should improve before you go on a diatribe on others and their faults.

For reals dude, it seems like you have a hang up on this issue. Talk to your pre-health advisor at school or a physician you know- maybe they can tell you that your obsession with other people's cheating and your constant comparisons to them will not ever help you. These people that are irritating you, rest-assured, if they make it to be MDs or whatever, will one day have someone's livelihood in their hands and their "cheating" ways will smack them in the face.

Honestly my dude, just worry about yourself. I am sure you are a good kid, everything everyone has said here is just to help. Best of luck to you my friend.

It's not about being gunners or unethical, a lot of the fault lies with your professor that makes it easy for people to have a direct advantage. People are going to do what it takes to ensure they have an advantage in life, that's simply human nature, but the system needs to make it difficult to be fair.

1) I have a MS in chem, with honors, so I think I have taken a few college courses my dude.

2) I have never ever ever cheated in any way in all my years at school, but "he is without sin should cast the first stone." It is obvious you don't cheat on exams, but I assure you that there are other areas of your life you are not perfect in that you should improve before you go on a diatribe on others and their faults.

For reals dude, it seems like you have a hang up on this issue. Talk to your pre-health advisor at school or a physician you know- maybe they can tell you that your obsession with other people's cheating and your constant comparisons to them will not ever help you. These people that are irritating you, rest-assured, if they make it to be MDs or whatever, will one day have someone's livelihood in their hands and their "cheating" ways will smack them in the face.

Honestly my dude, just worry about yourself. I am sure you are a good kid, everything everyone has said here is just to help. Best of luck to you my friend.

Truth

K thanks guys, got a good laugh from this. And understand that all of your advice was sincerely taken to heart.

In honesty, yeah I'm still blown about that B, and I'm not going to get anything out of arguing with you on SDN. Yeah, I have to suck it up, but will that make me condone cheating, not a chance. But I think the fault in the end is the lazy professor who can't make his own questions.

And yeah, I've definitely taken away a lesson from this, premeds aren't the most sympathetic bunch....as ironic as that is.

K thanks guys, got a good laugh from this. And understand that all of your advice was sincerely taken to heart.

In honesty, yeah I'm still blown about that B, and I'm not going to get anything out of arguing with you on SDN. Yeah, I have to suck it up, but will that make me condone cheating, not a chance. But I think the fault in the end is the lazy professor who can't make his own questions.

And yeah, I've definitely taken away a lesson from this, premeds aren't the most sympathetic bunch....as ironic as that is.

Pre-meds are forged from steel...

Take advantage of their laziness. But learn the material at the same time just to make sure no curve balls are thrown. I use TB's and I'm proud. Performance enhancing supplements for the win. /flex

And please don't be that guy who snitches. Please, please, please. Ruins teh fun for everyone.

The sooner you take responsibility for your own actions rather than putting the blame on EVERYONE ELSE, the more people will accept you as an adult rather than a whiner. I also like your false dichotomy of "cheat and get an A or don't cheat and don't get an A." People are never going to like you or take you seriously if you continue to exude this attitude. And this stuff definitely won't fly should you make it to med school.

I'm really not trying to be an ass, so please don't think that I'm intentionally trying to offend you. I'm simply trying to give you some insight into how you're perceived and how poorly you're approaching the situation. If you're upset about a B, you should've worked harder - plain and simple. Importantly, "working harder" doesn't have to mean doing something you're personally against. I assure you these questions (if he does in fact use a publisher-provided question bank) aren't unfair or impossible. Had you really learned the material from the textbook you almost certainly would've done well. You're not entirely faultless.

I never used a test bank when it was obvious others were. I also never got a B.

The sooner you take responsibility for your own actions rather than putting the blame on EVERYONE ELSE, the more people will accept you as an adult rather than a whiner. I also like your false dichotomy of "cheat and get an A or don't cheat and don't get an A." People are never going to like you or take you seriously if you continue to exude this attitude. And this stuff definitely won't fly should you make it to med school.

I'm really not trying to be an ass, so please don't think that I'm intentionally trying to offend you. I'm simply trying to give you some insight into how you're perceived and how poorly you're approaching the situation. If you're upset about a B, you should've worked harder - plain and simple. Importantly, "working harder" doesn't have to mean doing something you're personally against. I assure you these questions (if he does in fact use a publisher-provided question bank) aren't unfair or impossible. Had you really learned the material from the textbook you almost certainly would've done well. You're not entirely faultless.

Yeah but it's not always like this... Sometime the professor really does blow or is just a mean old bastard and there's nothing you can do about it.

Not saying cheating is ok though...

Assuming you know everything out the course I took is a bit crazy of you. Teaching at a beginner level, assigning beginning level problems, and testing on the advanced level is what I had to go through.
But......
Thanks dad <3

Assuming you know everything out the course I took is a bit crazy of you. Teaching at a beginner level, assigning beginning level problems, and testing on the advanced level is what I had to go through.
But......
Thanks dad <3

No joke, this kid is buggin. Chill my dude. These things happen

No joke, this kid is buggin. Chill my dude. These things happen

Thanks, I think I was "buggin" but after that great observation of yours, I have stopped "buggin"

"My dude" I'm eternally indebted to you

If anyone can purchase this I fail to see how it's cheating. They aren't doing anything illegal or even questionably unethical. They sought out a resource and used it. Who cares? Again, if you knew that the professor used this to write his exams and you had access to it, why didn't you use it?

You can say what you want, but the fact is that you're the one stuck with a B with nothing but principles to explain for it. I'm not saying you did the wrong thing necessarily, but you can't choose a course of action and then complain because you chose that course of action.

Just to clear up about testbanks - these are questions and answers provided to a professor for use of an associated textbook. Many professors use these questions for tests because its easier and also gives a normalized standard. Students are not supposed to have access to a testbank. You cannot purchase it from a publisher and they will only distribute it to a professor or teacher using the associated textbook (after verification). However, random websites and people sell these testbanks. They have either gotten access to the publisher or from a professor or TA that had access. You can pay them and they will usually send you the testbank. The publisher explicitly states that these testbanks are not for distribution and cannot be sold, so in effect this is an illegal practice under copyright laws.

Just to clear up about testbanks - these are questions and answers provided to a professor for use of an associated textbook. Many professors use these questions for tests because its easier and also gives a normalized standard. Students are not supposed to have access to a testbank. You cannot purchase it from a publisher and they will only distribute it to a professor or teacher using the associated textbook (after verification). However, random websites and people sell these testbanks. They have either gotten access to the publisher or from a professor or TA that had access. You can pay them and they will usually send you the testbank. The publisher explicitly states that these testbanks are not for distribution and cannot be sold, so in effect this is an illegal practice under copyright laws.

Amen.

Thanks for the info.

The point still remains, though, that the OP is needlessly whining about his grade when all that matters is HIS performance. Even if the course is graded on a curve, simply studying the material in the textbook should prepare you well for the exam since the questions would likely be based EXPLICITLY on what's contained in the book. In almost every class I took in undergrad I saw someone blatantly cheating on almost every exam. That doesn't mean I get to blame them when I do poorly or don't get the grade I want. The two are entirely unrelated. The quicker you get out of the habit of blaming others for your own performance, the better - that will eat you alive in med school.

Thanks for the info.

The point still remains, though, that the OP is needlessly whining about his grade when all that matters is HIS performance. Even if the course is graded on a curve, simply studying the material in the textbook should prepare you well for the exam since the questions would likely be based EXPLICITLY on what's contained in the book. In almost every class I took in undergrad I saw someone blatantly cheating on almost every exam. That doesn't mean I get to blame them when I do poorly or don't get the grade I want. The two are entirely unrelated. The quicker you get out of the habit of blaming others for your own performance, the better - that will eat you alive in med school.

In my experience, a lecture should hold as much, if not more, importance than the textbook. He assigned problems, and we did them, and he explicitly stated, test after test, that it wasn't necessary to do the problems that he hadn't assigned, as they weren't pertinent to the exam. We had 2 exams and a final. I did what he asked the first exam, and got a C because what he said was false. I licked my textbook front and back and got an A+ on the next two exams.

Stop trying to prove that I didn't try, the world is not black and white, and this class wasn't either. I wouldn't be "whining" if I didn't think I'd done my best.

@big- you are correct, but the OP just needs to worry about their own life. This stuff happens everywhere.

@DrStrag- Come on my dude. I mean, really? What are you looking for? For us all to feel sorry for you? This is advice from someone who has spent a lifetime getting my act together to the point that I have been blessed to receive numerous acceptances- The best thing you can do is look at yourself and determine how you can improve yourself to reach your goals. Forget about changing this system that we all deal with. If you want to change the world, drop your medical dreams and run for public office or something.

I am sure you are a pretty decent kid who is just down on your luck. But always remember, no matter how bad you think you have it, or how far your dreams may seem, there is always someone out there who would give anything for the blessings you have in life.

Lastly, here is some practical advice that will help you my dude: "Do the next right thing, and do it right."

@DrStrag- Come on my dude. I mean, really? What are you looking for? For us all to feel sorry for you? This is advice from someone who has spent a lifetime getting my act together to the point that I have been blessed to receive numerous acceptances- The best thing you can do is look at yourself and determine how you can improve yourself to reach your goals. Forget about changing this system that we all deal with. If you want to change the world, drop your medical dreams and run for public office or something.

I am sure you are a pretty decent kid who is just down on your luck. But always remember, no matter how bad you think you have it, or how far your dreams may seem, there is always someone out there who would give anything for the blessings you have in life.

Lastly, here is some practical advice that will help you my dude: "Do the next right thing, and do it right."

I don't understand why you're spending so many hours of your life trying to shape my philosophy on life, cause it isn't going to change. And I'm not even trying to be abrasive. I did everything right, I didn't cheat, I followed my professor's instructions, and I got the grade I got, one that I didn't deserve. I'm airing frustration and wondering if it's going to be like this for future courses. Your "advice" has been mixed and not pertinent to anything that I've said. If I didn't worry about "my own life" I wouldn't care about others ruining the curve for me.

Dude, I would say more like 90% of students use test banks. The 10% that dont use either a. can't get them or b. are new students and dont really know about it. You definitely should use them.

This might not sound right but like my friends always say, "being honest is not always a good thing."

:laugh:

Where would you even buy something like this? Aren't these reserved for the faculty?

edit: omg.... why did I not find this when I was still in undergrad? Well luckily I was well connected and didn't really need to.

I don't understand why you're spending so many hours of your life trying to shape my philosophy on life, cause it isn't going to change. And I'm not even trying to be abrasive. I did everything right, I didn't cheat, I followed my professor's instructions, and I got the grade I got, one that I didn't deserve. I'm airing frustration and wondering if it's going to be like this for future courses. Your "advice" has been mixed and not pertinent to anything that I've said. If I didn't worry about "my own life" I wouldn't care about others ruining the curve for me.

It WILL be like this in future courses if you continue to blame cheaters instead of fixing what needs to be improved with your studying.

It WILL be like this in future courses if you continue to blame cheaters instead of fixing what needs to be improved with your studying.

This was my first experience with test banks, I didn't know what they were before this class. I'm a straight A student, and I know when to buckle down and hit the books (don't misconstrue this, I'm not trying to brag). I always listen to my professor, and in this case it was a mixture of bad teaching coupled with an outrageous amount of cheating. There were many HONEST students such as myself who suffered under the harsh blow of laziness and dishonesty, and if "fixing" my studying means buying illegal documents for cheating purposes, then I don't really think that's the best advice.

I mean why don't you read all the posts before making a shotgun comment like that?

This was my first experience with test banks, I didn't know what they were before this class. I'm a straight A student, and I know when to buckle down and hit the books (don't misconstrue this, I'm not trying to brag). I always listen to my professor, and in this case it was a mixture of bad teaching coupled with an outrageous amount of cheating. There were many HONEST students such as myself who suffered under the harsh blow of laziness and dishonesty, and if "fixing" my studying means buying illegal documents for cheating purposes, then I don't really think that's the best advice.

I mean why don't you read all the posts before making a shotgun comment like that?

I did read all the earlier posts, some of which are my own if you were paying attention. This is my last post on this thread since you are clearly too stubborn to be reasoned with. You seem to have an excuse for everything. Maybe a career in politics would much better suit you.:rolleyes:

I think two issues are getting confused here. First, is the perception that the OP is trying to blame others for his performance. The second is a general consensus that the OP is wrong to be upset that others are cheating, that it's wrong for the OP to point out that others are cheating unless he's never done anything wrong in his life, and that most people on SDN will apparently do anything it takes to get ahead in the pre-med rat race, ethics be damned.

To the first point, nobody here can possibly profess to know what the OP is thinking. Trying to claim that he is blaming others for his performance in the class when he claims he's not seems silly.

To the other points, I'm glad that the OP is upset that others are cheating. He should be, as should we all. I'm glad that he values his own integrity and refuses to participate in dishonest behavior. We should all aspire to do likewise. I don't know where to start with the suggestion that the OP can't complain unless he's perfect. That's just flat out wrong-headed. I'm not perfect--does that mean I can't point out that people who plagiarize/pay others to write their papers are cheaters who deserve to be unceremoniously cashiered out of their university?

Frankly, I'm appalled that we seem to have gotten to the point where we defend the cheaters (after all, they're simply using the resources available to them!), but condemn those who point out others who aren't playing by the rules. That is seriously screwed up.

All the OP is doing is pointing out that he was put at a disadvantage by choosing to play by the rules, and was harmed by people who knowingly broke them. In life, we all have to learn that there are a large number of people walking around who will gladly break the rules to get ahead, and that we'll be hurt because of it. It sounds like the OP is learning that lesson here. Yes, it's a fact of life that he'll have to come to grips with. Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure flogging him over the internet isn't going to help him.

I think two issues are getting confused here. First, is the perception that the OP is trying to blame others for his performance. The second is a general consensus that the OP is wrong to be upset that others are cheating, that it's wrong for the OP to point out that others are cheating unless he's never done anything wrong in his life, and that most people on SDN will apparently do anything it takes to get ahead in the pre-med rat race, ethics be damned.

To the first point, nobody here can possibly profess to know what the OP is thinking. Trying to claim that he is blaming others for his performance in the class when he claims he's not seems silly.

To the other points, I'm glad that the OP is upset that others are cheating. He should be, as should we all. I'm glad that he values his own integrity and refuses to participate in dishonest behavior. We should all aspire to do likewise. I don't know where to start with the suggestion that the OP can't complain unless he's perfect. That's just flat out wrong-headed. I'm not perfect--does that mean I can't point out that people who plagiarize/pay others to write their papers are cheaters who deserve to be unceremoniously cashiered out of their university?

Frankly, I'm appalled that we seem to have gotten to the point where we defend the cheaters (after all, they're simply using the resources available to them!), but condemn those who point out others who aren't playing by the rules. That is seriously screwed up.

All the OP is doing is pointing out that he was put at a disadvantage by choosing to play by the rules, and was harmed by people who knowingly broke them. In life, we all have to learn that there are a large number of people walking around who will gladly break the rules to get ahead, and that we'll be hurt because of it. It sounds like the OP is learning that lesson here. Yes, it's a fact of life that he'll have to come to grips with. Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure flogging him over the internet isn't going to help him.

Exactly. Welcome to the real world OP! Cheating in pre-med is just like taking steroids in the big league... Its bound the happen when careers/money are involved.

Sorry bro play the game or get screwed. Welcome to real life.

These were available when I was in high school, this isn't exactly new news. If the OP was so concerned about this he should have told the professor so he would have an opportunity to change the questions. If the professor didn't care...well then that doesn't scream cheating to me.

The real lesson to learn here is do something about it or go with the flow. You don't do anyone a favor by being some silent martyr. You get a worse grade, they get a better grade and you can't exactly send a note along with your transcript that says "btw a bunch of people cheated in this class".

If you really care that much about other students' illegal access to the test bank, report the problem to your professor and if he/she doesn't do anything about it, report it to the dean or academic affairs or someone higher up.

Other than that, start getting used to question banks and practice questions, that's how you do well on the MCAT and USMLE :thumbup:.

The real lesson to learn here is do something about it or go with the flow. You don't do anyone a favor by being some silent martyr. You get a worse grade, they get a better grade and you can't exactly send a note along with your transcript that says "btw a bunch of people cheated in this class".

Indeed.

On the real, I'm done with this thread. Don't come on SDN if you don't want advice. If you want sympathy, visit a counselor or something. Let us know if you ever make it to med school bud. Good luck

I did what he asked the first exam, and got a C because what he said was false. I licked my textbook front and back and got an A+ on the next two exams.

Sounds like you didn't need the test banks anyway. Bummer about the first test.

These were available when I was in high school, this isn't exactly new news. If the OP was so concerned about this he should have told the professor so he would have an opportunity to change the questions. If the professor didn't care...well then that doesn't scream cheating to me.

After the course ended, I was so frustrated because I knew of so many students bragging about their performance when they had literally done no studying, that I just had to meet with him.

I met with my professor, and he clearly told me that he knew test banks existed, and that if he found a student with them, they'd be taken to honor court, but that it was impossible for him to track down so many students who used test banks in their dorm rooms or at home.

When I advised him to construct his own tests, he said that he has a lot of research that he has to focus his time on and that a general entry course should not be hard to master. He then went on to say that making personalized tests would take too much time and money away from the University, and that I should get used to this system.