usmle 1 of 198/81

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
with a board score of 198/81 can i get into EM residencey? where do i have a chance? or what residency am i limited to

Members don't see this ad.

One thing that would help your chances is if you take Step II early enough (early September) so that programs who don't look at apps until the Dean's letter is in (usally Nov 1st) will see your Step II score. However, if that isn't feasible, you will still have a decent chance if you have done OK in med school. It's all a numbers game. I would apply to tons of programs (why not apply to 70 or more) and you should be fine. Especially look at the programs that didn't match this year and apply to all of them to ensure yourself a spot. You may not have to settle, but why not just throw out the blanket. Duke matched 0 out of 7 before the scramble, Drew is a great program but isn't that competitive because of where it is (Watts), I believe Kalamazoo or one of the other Michigan programs matched 6/12 and there are a good number of others that didn't fill. Many programs in the deep south are less competitive, programs west of the Rocky's are the most competitive (except Drew in LA and Kern in Bakersfield: both good programs but in less desirable locations) and the programs in the midwest and northeast are varied in their competitiveness. Good luck.

Duke matched 0 out of 7 before the scramble,

I don't think this is right. I believe the information initially posted after the match was somehow incorrect. They definitely had some open spots, because an FMG that posts here sometimes scrambled in, but I don't think they pulled a goose egg.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me put it to you this way. Your step I score is better than mine was! I completely bombed the stupid thing. I'm not an idiot or anything (and neither are you) I just had a bad day. I had horrible insomnia the night before. I still remember looking at the clock at 4 am. Man, that was a horrible feeling. But I digress...!

I applied to 40 some programs (I can't remember exactly) and interviewed at 14 programs. I didn't turn down any interviews. I got some invites to some really good programs despite my score and some not so competitive ones because of it. Most places I interviewed at I just asked the PD point-blank during the interview how badly my score would hinder me. The large majority of the places told me that it really wasn't that big a deal since they obviously liked my app enough to invite me. A few told me that it might hinder me somewhat come crunch time, but nobody admitted to wasting my time and money. After all, it is their time and money as well.

It is said here and other places all the time, but I'll say it again. Your step I score is only ONE component of your application. Yes, a bad one can hurt you in that it gets you "triaged out" of many programs before your app is even looked at. That's just the breaks. You have to allow for that by applying to alot of programs. I would suggest applying to every program you would consider going to. Ask youself if you would rather go unmatched than go to a specific program. If your answer is no, then apply. Even if it means applying to 127 programs (not really but you see my point)! It is alot cheaper to apply to too many programs than it is to sit out a year and repeat the process.

Since the USMLE is only one component of your app, that means that you can make yourself competitive by enhancing the other aspects of it. I had very strong letters, honors in my EM rotations, a strong dean's letter, and I think a sincere and succinct personal statement. I had average grades otherwise, with a few honors sprikled in. On the whole, I think I was able to convey to the programs that I was sincerely interested in and suited for a career in EM. That is essentially the whole point that you are trying to get across to the programs after all.

Ultimately, I matched at my second choice and really couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Originally posted by blotto geltaco
They definitely had some open spots, because an FMG that posts here sometimes scrambled in, but I don't think they pulled a goose egg.

The PD said, after a while, that the 0/7 was correct, because they interviewed less than 40 people (4 interview days were lost from bad weather). Ironically, there were 140 calls for the 7 spots in the scramble.

Originally posted by Apollyon
The PD said, after a while, that the 0/7 was correct, because they interviewed less than 40 people (4 interview days were lost from bad weather). Ironically, there were 140 calls for the 7 spots in the scramble.

tsk tsk, they shoudl have offered me an interview!

Bastards!

Damn edinOH, you have a LOT of time on your hands! Your program is too slack! How do they give you enough time to write 500 word messages here?!??!!?

Am I the only one pulling 85+ hours a week?!?!?

(I guess no one will respond to this except the slacker-program PGY-1s, as the rest of us are working!) :)

Q, DO

Like I said, I couldn't be happier. :D

At least I'm not counting the words of people's posts. ;)

tgt,

if you're coming from an U.S. school, you'll have a good shot at a spot.

could anyone suggest specific programs that do not have step I cut offs so I have an idea where I will be able to get interviews with a low score. and what places are definately a waste of my time so I know not to apply. Thanks

that is such a great story edinOH. cheers for your heart warming advice...

tgt

1. print out a list of all the em programs from ama
2. go to the chair of local EM program, and they will tell you
3. if you dont have a EM prog at your school, do it on an away rotation.

I have very medicre scores and the chair at my ED highlighted 60+ programs where I would have a shot

summary: it is a long list that requires someone to sit down with you...

So what are the programs that would likely NOT invite an applicant for an interview with < 200 USMLE Step 1? anyone have input...

Who knows. Apply to places you're interested in, your score is just one part of your application. As a rule of thumb, the midwest, michigan, Texas, the deep south are not as highly sought after as the coasts so those programs are probably less inclined to get caught up in the numbers game. From personal experience, almost every program west of the Rockies was not interested in my score of less than two hundred (USC was the only one that showed interest) even though my step two was above average.