usmle 2 digit scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipzip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are the 3 digit and 2 digit scores fixed at a particular ratio to each other.
for eg. what is a 80% score in terms of a 3 digit score this year or 3 yrs back

Members don't see this ad.

And there you have the big mystery of Step 1.

You can't reliably look at either your 3- or 2-digit scores and translate it into percent correct.

does the nbme give any official explanation of how they score the test? I've looked on the website, but cannot find anything. I've seen kaplan and first aid's guesses, but they are not the same (55-65% is passing vs 60-70% is passing.)

I wish I knew the answer to that one. Logic would have it that one score (the 2-digit score) described how well a candidate did compared to other candidates. The 3-digit score, I think, is the closest to the "raw" score.

I think last year, the lowest 3-digit that translated into a 2-digit 99 was 244. If my logic works (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), the "lowest" 99 would be a 250, with this year's mean and SD. Has anyone gotten a score between 244 and 250? That would solve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BellKicker
I wish I knew the answer to that one. Logic would have it that one score (the 2-digit score) described how well a candidate did compared to other candidates. The 3-digit score, I think, is the closest to the "raw" score.

I think last year, the lowest 3-digit that translated into a 2-digit 99 was 244. If my logic works (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), the "lowest" 99 would be a 250, with this year's mean and SD. Has anyone gotten a score between 244 and 250? That would solve it.

I got a 246 and a 99. What logic were you using?

Ok, these numbers aren't 100% accurate but bear with me......

Last year, the lowest possible 99 (a 244 I think but I'm not sure) was probably 90th percentile. So I figured maybe the 2-digit score related to the percentiles in some way. Let's say 250 is 90th percentile this year. If my theory was correct, then 250 would be the lowest 99.

Obviously I was wrong but I really don't see why we need 2 versions of the same score, then. Congratulations on a great score, by the way!

Bellkicker,
Thanks! I needed a pretty strong score to help balance out my past sins in the basic science years (had some less than stellar performances).

I didn't realize that 244 was a 99 last year. Wouldn't it kind of make sense then for a 245 or 246 to be the lowest 99 score you could get since the mean went up by a point? Just my flawed reasoning... ;) I don't really understand what the point of the 2 digit score is either.

I got a 244/99 this year...this must be some kind of omen. Once again, I've Fosbury Flopped...Mr. 89.5%

the lowest possible passing 3 digit score give you a two a digit score of 75

For whatever that is worth.

the two digit score sucks if you as me.