USMLE USMLE accommodation request personal stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg166411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I can't seem to find any recent (or any) info on personal success stories, with getting accommodations on the USMLE step 1.
I have perhaps the world's worst ADHD, which caused me to fail mostly out of highschool, and two undergrad institutions, largely cause I couldn't finish a single test on time. I took some time off, got some meds, and managed to get through a third undergrad, with accommodations. Struggled to get accommodations for the MCAT, and got through it okay, I only finished one section however, even after doing 9 full timed practice mcats (never could finish, but at least got faster).
Now I'm in med school, and have accomodations of which I still dont finish many tests, but close enough. Getting accommodations for the MCAT took probably 6 months, and alot of hassel/retesting. They continuously requested different tests done, for one I could only find one person who would do the test within 4 hours of me. The testing requirements alone were far beyond the DSM4 or 5 criteria, for whatever reason, even through I've had the diagnosis since I was a child.
So now I'm just curious about what to expect as far as resistance from the NMBE, and if there are even any successful cases of people getting extended test time accommodations, particularly for ADHD, but for anything would be very helpful. They do have requirements I read on their website, but I know from the MCAT that fulfilling those requirements means very little.
Any personal stories are greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.