USMLE and COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocArmy

Roustabout
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year medical student, Army HPSP. I'm an average student, not looking to go into rocket-surgery, probably more likely to do primary care.

Do I need to take the USMLE to get a military residency? The info I saw on MODS had COMLEX scores and USMLE scores listed for several residencies. Would it be safe to assume that, if they listed a COMLEX national average score next to a field, that they would accept a COMLEX score without a USMLE score for a military applicant? Peds, EM, FP, IM, Psych, ObGyn.

I know this seems like a noob question. I just don't want to duplicate my efforts if I don't have to. My civilian classmates are all taking both, but they're also all applying to ACGME on the civilian side. How good are the .mil residencies about taking COMLEX?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year medical student, Army HPSP. I'm an average student, not looking to go into rocket-surgery, probably more likely to do primary care.

Do I need to take the USMLE to get a military residency? The info I saw on MODS had COMLEX scores and USMLE scores listed for several residencies. Would it be safe to assume that, if they listed a COMLEX national average score next to a field, that they would accept a COMLEX score without a USMLE score for a military applicant? Peds, EM, FP, IM, Psych, ObGyn.

I know this seems like a noob question. I just don't want to duplicate my efforts if I don't have to. My civilian classmates are all taking both, but they're also all applying to ACGME on the civilian side. How good are the .mil residencies about taking COMLEX?

Thanks.

I think for primary care residencies COMLEX is sufficient. You are only a second year medical student so you want to keep the options open. USMLE is not required, but encouraged if you are applying to more competitive residencies though many took COMLEX and had no issues matching like RAD in the military...Good Luck!!