USMLE and residencies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisho79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello eveeryone.

I am an Egypt graduate, Alex. University.

I was interested in persuing a US residency. After I finish USMLE step 1, and 2 CK and 2 CS, whats needed from me?

Do they accept the 1 year internship I did in Alex.

And what are electives. My speciality is Ophthalmology. I will be attending an observsership in NY for 3 months. Would that count?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your internship in Egypt isn't necessary.

Elective: a rotation that you do while you are a final year medical student. You are not eligible now as you have already graduated.

Observerships are not considered hands-on experience. They don;t count much. Some believe they are useless.

On a separate note, Opthy is a very difficult to specialty to get into as an international graduate...just wanted to let you know as you seem not be familiar with the system.

Thank you for your reply Ross.

what do you mean my internship isnt necessary? How can enroll into a residency PG 2 year without one? Or will that be PG 1 year first?

And about difficult ophtha residencies, would it matter if I already had a residency in my country, have 5 years Ophtha experience, and finished my MS, and have FRCS from the UK?

Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
bisho, you can apply to PGY1(eg Jul 2010) and PGY2(Jul 2011) at the same time. You get both positions, you start with PGY1 and then move to PGY2.

PGY1 is offered one year ahead and PGY2 is offered 2 years ahead, makes sense?

Yeah Rox. I get it now.

Thank you for your reply and your help.

One final question though. I understand now that it is difficult to get ophtha residencies, but it increases my chances if I did a bit of research, specially in the US. How can I find a paid Ophtha research fellowship in the US, as I cannot afford to do an unpaid one.

Thank you.

Google, contact programs directly or ask some opthy guys.

Hello, I'm a Moroccan doctor and I'm in my second year of residency in pulmonary medecine.
I will move to the US (New york) with my husband for at least two years, and I would like to know what kind of paid medical activities I can practice before passing the required steps (1, 2 and 3).
Can you please tell me how long it usually takes to pass all the steps.
Thanks for your help.

Bisho- From my understanding, you have to finish "imtiaz" to get the ecfmg certificate. Also, to my understanding, they will not give you ur graduation diploma in Egypt unless you do imtiaz first. Takleef is not important.
Good luck for optho, its a difficult field to get into.

Chaimaa- one option is to work as a technician in the lab or work with research. I don't really know how its done though. Good luck.

Dear all,

I am fourth year medical student in the US and I am interested in doing a one-month rotation in North Africa, with a stronger interest in Morocco or Algeria.

I was hoping students or residents from either country may have professional contacts that they can provide or be able to give advice on the process to do an away rotation. I am interested in gaining more experience in internal medicine related fields, so contacts in these specialties would be great.

Fortunately, je parle couramment le francais, so language is not a problem and is in fact part of the reason I want to visit somewhere that has french as one of the main languages.

Thank you in advance