Usmle/comlex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, I have another question: does anyone know which osteopathic medical schools have the best COMLEX and USMLE pass rates from their students? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year UHS had a 97% pass rate on first timers taking the exam. Not sure about the USMLE

-C

I'm not sure which DO schools keep records of pass rates for USMLE, if any do at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think most of them do, plus the sample size would be very small.

DMU historically has a pass rate around 94% on the comlex, last year it was lower (90%) but the class underwent 2 curriculum changes which may have had something to do with it.

I would say about 30-40 DMU students take the USMLE each year.

DO students tend to score lower than MD students on step 1 of the the USMLE, but curiously score better on Step 2. I think it may have to do with the fact that Step 1 of the USMLE is not as clinically intergrated and has a little more basic science and the DO schools tend to emphasis the opposite.

Not to mention that while scores (MCATs and GPA's) at DO schools aren't really any different than those of a lot of medical schools, they are no Ivy league DO schools....so no buffing. DO schools tend to take more rounded and by score means more of the average medical student, like a majority of the MD schools, but their is no DO school that takes a huge % of the upper echelon medical students that probably helps the pass rates.

If you are a slacker about studying then there is a higher probability that you will fail both. If you are diligent in your studies and strive to achieve a competitive residency you WILL PASS both tests. That simple.

It is entirely dependent upon the individual, not the school attended.

what is the advantage of getting an MD residency? Does it make it easier in the job market post-residency? Are you on equal ground with an MD in the eyes of practicing physicians if you completed an MD residency?

Originally posted by camisho
what is the advantage of getting an MD residency? Does it make it easier in the job market post-residency? Are you on equal ground with an MD in the eyes of practicing physicians if you completed an MD residency?

Many factors are at play here and by far one of the biggest ones is geography. If you do an AOA approved residency you are limited b/c the vast majority of programs are in the Northeast. Most AOA programs are decent community-based programs but there are some that lack funding and a wide variety of patients. Personally, I don't think that most MDs give a flip where you did your residency as long as you do your job the best you can. With this in mind, always ask yourself "Will I get good training at this institution?" when you are looking at residency programs.

Not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this but...

If I take step 1 in addition to level 1 and don't do so well on step 1, do i have the option of not releasing my usmle score? I think if I apply to osteopathic residencies, I don't have to show my step 1 score, but I was hearing that if I go allopathic they will automatically see my step 1 score. Can anyone clarify?

Not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this but...
If I take step 1 in addition to level 1 and don't do so well on step 1, do i have the option of not releasing my usmle score? I think if I apply to osteopathic residencies, I don't have to show my step 1 score, but I was hearing that if I go allopathic they will automatically see my step 1 score. Can anyone clarify?

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...electronic-residency-application-service.aspx
Note to osteopathic applicants only: Before you certify your ERAS application, consider whether you will apply to ACGME and/or AOA-accredited programs. If you apply to ACGME accredited programs, and you have taken the USMLE, you must report that on your application. If you only apply to AOA accredited programs, you do not have to report the USMLE on your application.

I don't think most of them do, plus the sample size would be very small.

DMU historically has a pass rate around 94% on the comlex, last year it was lower (90%) but the class underwent 2 curriculum changes which may have had something to do with it.

I would say about 30-40 DMU students take the USMLE each year.

DO students tend to score lower than MD students on step 1 of the the USMLE, but curiously score better on Step 2. I think it may have to do with the fact that Step 1 of the USMLE is not as clinically intergrated and has a little more basic science and the DO schools tend to emphasis the opposite.

Not to mention that while scores (MCATs and GPA's) at DO schools aren't really any different than those of a lot of medical schools, they are no Ivy league DO schools....so no buffing. DO schools tend to take more rounded and by score means more of the average medical student, like a majority of the MD schools, but their is no DO school that takes a huge % of the upper echelon medical students that probably helps the pass rates.

Where have you seen that DOs do better on step2? Last figures I saw had a higher MD pass rate for all steps with them becoming basically the same by step3

You are saying some things here that are just not well supported. The scores are not simply skewed by ivy leagues.... you emphasize DMU on your post... of what you claim is true what are the averages between your school and the other Med school in your state?

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/md/profile/
http://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/

Last edited:
Where have you seen that DOs do better on step2? Last figures I saw had a higher MD pass rate for all steps with them becoming basically the same by step3

You are saying some things here that are just not well supported. The scores are not simply skewed by ivy leagues.... you emphasize DMU on your post... of what you claim is true what are the averages between your school and the other Med school in your state?

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/md/profile/
http://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/

I get the feeling he will not be responding to your post

I'm on my phone so can't see everything you can... any reason why? Most of what is being said in here sounds good. But a few of the stats and rationales are just incorrect

I'm on my phone so can't see everything you can... any reason why? Most of what is being said in here sounds good. But a few of the stats and rationales are just incorrect

the person you are arguing with made is post more than 8 years ago. that's probably why :idea:

/

there is an accidental kernel of truth in what he typed though... everyone (MD/DO) does better, on average, on the second level of board testing. So while he was incorrectly implying that DOs outscore MDs on the level II.... his words do successfully convey (if read without reference to context) that DOs improve significantly on step II testing compared to their step I performances.

Oh lame.... sorry if I resurrected this. My phone says it happened a couple months ago (doesn't give year) I didn't realize I was so deep into the bowels of this board :D