Usmle/comlex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might sound ignorant asking this question because I am ignorant on this issue. I hear a lot about USMLE and COMPLEX, but I have no idea what the two mean. Could someone please help me out and tell me what they mean?

Members don't see this ad.

They are board exams for medical schools. The COMLEX I/USMLE I is taken after your 2nd year of medical school and the COMLEX II/USMLE II is taken after your 4th year of medical school. It is a test to show that you are retaining what you are learning. If you do not pass the tests, you can not continue on with your medical education. Residency programs also use it as a gauge as to what kind of student you are and to compare you with other students when they are picking residency candidates. The difference in the two tests is that osteopathic schools use the COMLEX test and allopathic schools use the USMLE test but osteopathic students are allowed to take the USMLE test if they feel that they would be looked at better in the instance that they are applying to an allopathic residency. Hope my explaination helps.

Lindsay

Correction:
The COMLEX II and USMLE Step II is taken during your late third/early fourth year. Step III is usually taken PGY-1 (after fourth year).

As of now, the COMLEX is a written exam which is 800 questions roughly and takes two days to take. The USMLE is a computerized exam that is ~400 questions. By the time you get into med school, they will both be computerized as of September 2005; they are planning a 600 question or so COMLEX right now, though this might change....

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from COSGP rep. that it would be slightly more than 400, but will, like the USMLE, include more pictures. Although I could be mistaken... I know that for the first run with COMLEX I will have less selection of test dates in contrast to the USMLE, however as they get more used to proctoring the exam, this will change. They also have to certify your school or an area near you to take the exam, probably a prometrix center, similar to the USMLE. For those that took the test study, they did mention that there were some pictures/slides/radiographs on the exam. Ultimately, the 2008 classes will be the guinea pigs for this project.

The commonality is true however differences do exist so you should definately study a little differently if you are taking both. Most people that I have talked to that have taken both either said the USMLE was more straight forward and/or easier.... I'll let you know in June if this is true in my case, but it is dependent on the person. Some differences that have been stressed to us is that the COMLEX uses more clinical scenarios while the USMLE really does test more of your basic science knowledge and physio/patho regurgitation. Though this is all second hand knowledge so you'll have to take them both and decide for yourself.

babyruth said:
I heard from COSGP rep. that it would be slightly more than 400, but will, like the USMLE, include more pictures.

Geeze, I hope the NBOME can finally get their picture file updated with some quality stuff. The stains and rorschach blots they are calling picture and xrays now really suck.

Here is a hint for everyone taking the COMLEX this June:

DO NOT TOUCH THE PICTURES.

The ink will come off on your hand, rendering the imagine (even more) unusable.

let me say that again.

DO NOT TOUCH THE PICTURES.

TOUCHING PICTURES = FAILURE