USMLE Consult Scorrelator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerpMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just did the 150 q Scorrelator test and I was wondering if anyone else had used it. My score was almost 20 points higher than my last NBME :) but I wasn't sure what to make of it. I also thought there was a good bit of repetition in it, so if you understood something once you were able to answer multiple questions which might inflate the score a bit.

Just looking to see what others think and if you’ve had similar experiences. :D

Members don't see this ad.

NBME is the gold standard score corelator dont focus too much on the other scores except to inflate your confidence

I did the exact same thing. My score went up 20 points too. That said, I took my last NBME before I started studying and that was about a week and a half ago. If I didnt go up some I would be a bit pissed.

When did you take your last NBME terp?

I'm taking NBME 3 in about 5 days, I'll let you know what I think after that. I'm hoping this practice was pretty acurate but who knows...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the exact same thing. My score went up 20 points too. That said, I took my last NBME before I started studying and that was about a week and a half ago. If I didnt go up some I would be a bit pissed.

When did you take your last NBME terp?

I took my last NBME about 2 wks ago as well and I had only looked over biochem and beh sci. I plan to take another NBME soon so then I will have a better number to compare to.

Let me know how the NBME goes :)

Just took NBME 3 a few hours ago. My score on NBME 3 was around 6 points higher than I got on the elsevier scorelator.

I had a friend who took the scorelator 3 days before NBME 3 and scored 10 points lower on the NBME.

So it seems like the score distribution is pretty random.

FWIW I scored around 8% lower on the Elsevier scorrelator than my average for the elsevier questions (unused questions) so perhaps it underestimated my score...

I took NMBE 4 this morning (granted, more than a week later) and I did 14 points better on it than I did with scorrelator. Maybe the scorrelator isn't so bad... :)

after taking the real deal a few days ago, I feel like the difficult questions on consult were a lot more challenging than what i faced on the real exam.

my 2 cents.

i felt that the scorrelator's questions were harder than the regular Elsevier question bank but still not as hard as Uworld. Anyone else feel the same?

Probably. UW is definitely more challenging, and some of the Consult Qbank Qs are real no brainers.

I agree that UW is more challenging than Elsevier, yet I feel that Elsevier is, by far, better than Kaplan, and seems to be more on par with the NBME's in terms of difficulty and broadness of knowledge. Kaplan's vignettes were always way too wordy and provided too many unrealistic clues/buzzwords that won't come up on the actual exam. In terms of depth, the explanations on Kaplan were laughable compared to that of UW and Elsevier as well.

As for the Scorrelator, I don't know how accurate it is since I scored about 10-15 points better on it than on my NBME Form 2. I also felt that the questions on the Scorrelator exam were also more difficult than the ones in the actual bank, but maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea what a good average is on the bank? I'm at 60% correct overall (66th percentile), 50 question timed blocks, and 1900 questions into it. Correlating UW scores to the actual exam has been discussed ad nauseum on here, but has anyone done Elsevier and taken the exam? If so, was it close? I did a search and found very little info on it except that it covers a broader range of knowledge than UW and not as in depth. I'm afraid that my decent average may lull me into a false sense of security. Mind you, I'm not looking to get a 250, but something in the 210 range would make me a very happy future Ob/Gyn. I've yet to schedule an exam date, but I plan on taking it by the end of June, early July.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-GynGuy

I'm taking it next Friday so come mid July, I can answer your question more fully. My UC average (92% complete) is within 5% of my UW and my Kaplan average. I think that UC has both some no brainers but also some impossible questions. The helminth questions for instance ask you about specific species differences that are not obvious by clinical clues. Ok, maybe one question on this but I must have had 10. Also, the anatomy questions I probably couldn't have answered when I was in anatomy, so of course I can't now!

I just find they are either 'I know it or I don't' kind of questions, unlike UW where I can sit there and ponder forever! Hopefully, since they had the half price deal earlier, some people will post scores in the next few months.

my elsevier percentage is around 10% higher than my UW average. This is pretty much because there are few times in UC where I know the disease, i know the pathogenesis but i dont know the 4th step out.

I find that often times w/ UW i know exactly the disease they are getting at and the pathogenesis but then they ask some very random question- that or the distractors are really good.

60% should get you where you want to be especially if it says you are above average.

my elsevier percentage is around 10% higher than my UW average. This is pretty much because there are few times in UC where I know the disease, i know the pathogenesis but i dont know the 4th step out.

I find that often times w/ UW i know exactly the disease they are getting at and the pathogenesis but then they ask some very random question- that or the distractors are really good.

60% should get you where you want to be especially if it says you are above average.

The same holds somewhat true to my UW cumulative average vs. my UC average (7% difference). I'm an IMG (U.S. born, non-Carribean foreign trained, I know, how taboo), and I've finished Kaplan, UW, and most of UC, but I never knew whom I was competing against in USMLE Consult. I know that UW is the gold standard when it comes to qbanks, but I needed to switch things up as I have finished the bank, corrected the incorrects, etc. For me, I felt that Kaplan was a waste of time and I regret ever doing it. I'm just curious to see where I stand against American trained students since you will be my competition, or hopefully, lack thereof. ;)

Did anyone else get a feel that Kaplan only tested the material from their books, USMLE World tests mostly FA, and that UC is more of a mix of FA, and the other materials generally associated with reviewing for the boards?

Just did the USMLEConsult Scorrelator and it is MUCH MORE difficult than the regular questions that it has in its regular bank. I scored a little higher on the Scorrelator than on NBME 2, so I'm thinking it's pretty accurate. There was less variety on the Scorrelator than on NBMEs, however.