jrlob91

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2017
266
279
Not to beat a somewhat dead horse, but I am interested to see what a program director has to say about this. DO student. Got >650 on level 1 and 2 and passed CE. Top 10 in my class. However, I got a 216 on Step 1. Did not take step 2. Two questions:

1 - If I choose not to authorize my USMLE at all, will a program director be able to see that I took it?

2 - Do the benefits of applying with a below average USMLE outweigh the risks for my specific application?

Thanks in advance. Applied to about 20 programs tonight and just want to know if I should authorize and send my USMLE before tomorrow.
 
About the Ads
Feb 1, 2016
3
0
Status
Medical Student
Goo
1. No
2. Hard to say. Given the relatively poor S1 score, you're probably better off with COMLEX only
Hi,

I have a question regarding releasing scores. I would appreciate if you could please give me any advise.
Currently, I completed my application but did not submit my scores because I fail COMLEX 2. I will not have a score
back until Mid November. Should I submit my COMLEX 1 and 2 now or should I wait until I have a passing score??
Planning on applying FM and Rotational year. Have honored every rotation during my 3rd year.
During COMLEX 2 I had a family hardship.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
 

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
18,486
11,529
Status
Attending Physician
Goo


Hi,

I have a question regarding releasing scores. I would appreciate if you could please give me any advise.
Currently, I completed my application but did not submit my scores because I fail COMLEX 2. I will not have a score
back until Mid November. Should I submit my COMLEX 1 and 2 now or should I wait until I have a passing score??
Planning on applying FM and Rotational year. Have honored every rotation during my 3rd year.
During COMLEX 2 I had a family hardship.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
If you're applying AOA only (are there still AOA only programs in FM?) then this question is a bit on the late side.

Regardless of which match you're applying to, you're kind of hosed. Apply now and get rejected because you failed Level 2? Or apply in mid-November and get no interviews because they've all been given out?

Assuming your access to a time machine which will allow you to go back and pass Level 2 is non-existent, I'd err on the side of applying now. You may get rejections from places that would otherwise interview you with a passing Level 2, but those same places likely won't be still offering interviews 2-3 months from now. Better to know where you stand early in the season than in November when you can do f*** all about it.
 
About the Ads