jrlob91

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2017
Not to beat a somewhat dead horse, but I am interested to see what a program director has to say about this. DO student. Got >650 on level 1 and 2 and passed CE. Top 10 in my class. However, I got a 216 on Step 1. Did not take step 2. Two questions:

1 - If I choose not to authorize my USMLE at all, will a program director be able to see that I took it?

2 - Do the benefits of applying with a below average USMLE outweigh the risks for my specific application?

Thanks in advance. Applied to about 20 programs tonight and just want to know if I should authorize and send my USMLE before tomorrow.

About the Ads
Feb 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Goo
1. No
2. Hard to say. Given the relatively poor S1 score, you're probably better off with COMLEX only
Hi,

I have a question regarding releasing scores. I would appreciate if you could please give me any advise.
Currently, I completed my application but did not submit my scores because I fail COMLEX 2. I will not have a score
back until Mid November. Should I submit my COMLEX 1 and 2 now or should I wait until I have a passing score??
Planning on applying FM and Rotational year. Have honored every rotation during my 3rd year.
During COMLEX 2 I had a family hardship.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Goo

Hi,

I have a question regarding releasing scores. I would appreciate if you could please give me any advise.
Currently, I completed my application but did not submit my scores because I fail COMLEX 2. I will not have a score
back until Mid November. Should I submit my COMLEX 1 and 2 now or should I wait until I have a passing score??
Planning on applying FM and Rotational year. Have honored every rotation during my 3rd year.
During COMLEX 2 I had a family hardship.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
If you're applying AOA only (are there still AOA only programs in FM?) then this question is a bit on the late side.

Regardless of which match you're applying to, you're kind of hosed. Apply now and get rejected because you failed Level 2? Or apply in mid-November and get no interviews because they've all been given out?

Assuming your access to a time machine which will allow you to go back and pass Level 2 is non-existent, I'd err on the side of applying now. You may get rejections from places that would otherwise interview you with a passing Level 2, but those same places likely won't be still offering interviews 2-3 months from now. Better to know where you stand early in the season than in November when you can do f*** all about it.

About the Ads