USMLE IMG Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Broker,

I'm applying this year too! Glad there are other British trained docs around...

I've just sent a request for the LORs and will start writing my personal statement soon. What about you? Are you still working in the UK?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah am an FY2 at the moment, have got my LoR's all sorted, just working in personal statement...

Having trouble trying to get my medical school to complete and send documents, they are being totally useless at sending stuff for the 'California letter'

Look forward to having everything complete!

What are you applying for?

Am going for gen surgery, applying widely and hoping for an H1B

Members don't see this ad :)
Having trouble trying to get my medical school to complete and send documents, they are being totally useless at sending stuff for the 'California letter'

Unless things have changed recently, you need a social security number in order to apply for a PTAL.

Jonathan

I have one, previously worked in the US which has come in handy, the hard part is trying to get the medical school to send documents!

I have one, previously worked in the US which has come in handy, the hard part is trying to get the medical school to send documents!

Well good luck with the application then - I must say I was incredibly lucky and the medical school transmitted all my documents within a day or two of me asking.

Jonathan

Hi Broker,

Me too!!! I'm trying to get things sorted for ERAS but just realised that it takes two weeks for the LORs to be uploaded. I'm rather concerned because I thought I had until the 15th of September!!! 2 questions:
- when is the latest I need the attendings to submit the LORs on the portal?
- does ERAS really take 2 weeks to process the LORs or it might take less?

Thanks.

I have no idea. Mine have all been shown to be uploaded within a couple of hours of them being done, don't know about verification tho...

I was hoping to be able to assign a lor/deans letter/ptal doc although not complete in the hope it will be by November in some cases...

Thanks for the reply. I went for waived letters because that's what they recommended. So I guess that's why it takes longer.

Where are you describing your F1/F2?

Any ideas where the MRCS goes?

I have put MRCS in the Misc. section at the end and have described FY1 and FY2 as 'work experience'

Some questions for you all:

1. I have completed step 3, does that mean I have a state medical license? If not, how do I get one and do I need one?

2. Am in the middle of convincing my med school to complete MSPE, how do they upload/send it? (there is no code like the LoR's), same question for medical school transcript?

Thanks for all of your help!

Broker

1. I have completed step 3, does that mean I have a state medical license? If not, how do I get one and do I need one?
2. Am in the middle of convincing my med school to complete MSPE, how do they upload/send it? (there is no code like the LoR's), same question for medical school transcript?

1. Depending on which state you end up in you may not need a state medical license - you do not need to worry about this currently.
2. Has your medical school signed up to transmit documents electronically? If so, then they upload it themselves - I gave my ERAS number and they took care of the rest.

Jonathan

- when is the latest I need the attendings to submit the LORs on the portal?
- does ERAS really take 2 weeks to process the LORs or it might take less?

It can take anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks. It depends on how busy ERAS is. They check the uploaded letter for quality issues.

I was hoping to be able to assign a lor/deans letter/ptal doc although not complete in the hope it will be by November in some cases...

You cannot assign a letter / item to a program until it is uploaded and ready in ERAS. You can still apply to programs, and then assign documents as they become ready. Once assigned, they are downloaded the next time the program downloads from the post office.

Thanks for the reply. I went for waived letters because that's what they recommended. So I guess that's why it takes longer.

Waiving your letters does not slow down the process. As long as your letter writer uploads the letter once complete, the process is the same.

1. As mentioned above, no. And you don't need a state license to start a PGY-1. Once you match / start in a program, they will help you with this. Simply answer No.

2. They upload it electronically (not via the LORP) or they mail it to you and you upload it via OASIS.

I have put MRCS in the Misc. section at the end and have described FY1 and FY2 as 'work experience'

How exactly did you describe FY1 and 2? Did you talk about each separate job eg one entry for 4 months in general surgery, then a second entry for 4 months in acute medicine, etc?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly did you describe FY1 and 2? Did you talk about each separate job eg one entry for 4 months in general surgery, then a second entry for 4 months in acute medicine, etc?

Many thanks!

I lumped the whole Foundation Programme all together as one and then listed the specific rotations in the description.

Jonathan

I wish the very best luck to all IMGs matching tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian studying the UK. I'm excited to be joining this forum as there seems to be a lot of great discussion taking place. Just wanted to wished everyone the very best with residency applications.

I wanted to ask you guys, I got a 226 on my step 1. I know that it's a good average score for a US-IMG, but does it make me competitive as a non-US IMG? Any thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian studying the UK. I'm excited to be joining this forum as there seems to be a lot of great discussion taking place. Just wanted to wished everyone the very best with residency applications.

I wanted to ask you guys, I got a 226 on my step 1. I know that it's a good average score for a US-IMG, but does it make me competitive as a non-US IMG? Any thoughts?

Depends on what you are applying for. It makes you competitive for FM, IM, Peds and Psych but not for the more competitive specialties. If you do well on the Step 2 CK and most UK grads do, its still possible to match in more competitive specialties.

Indeed. Sorry. Not ready to share my experience online yet, changed my mind.

Hi guys,

I have spent a lot of time going through the USMLE step scores and experiences to identify the best revision method suitable for me.

Unfortunately most of the experiences come from US graduates, which are useful, but truthfully IMGs have different challenges.

That is why I thought it would be really useful to start this thread.
Details that would be useful are:
1) Country of origin
2) Step 1 or 2 scores
3) Timeline
4) Revision material
5) Any further tips/challenges etc

I hope we get lots of responses. Your help can truly make the difference for all of us!

--------------------------

I recently presented my USMLE step 1 exam; graduated 3 years ago from med school, and have been working in research in the US since then. Suggested by my lovely fiancé and due to a lot of budget fluctuations in research jobs I decided to pursue getting board certified while working.

What to use:
FA, UW(or Rx), sketchy mycro and google spread sheet. Optional: Create your own pict nemonics.

How to start studying and when?
Having a full time job is a pain when you are studying for the boards. My strategy was waking up at 4 AM during weekdays, and study till 8:30AM or so. It requires a lot of commitment to do this. In the first weeks you still need to adjust your circadian cycle, but at the end I really worth it. I work in NYC so definitely early morning is the best time to study due to the endless noise in the streets. During the weekends I woke up when felling rested and studied for 6 hours or 8 sometimes.

Note: remember to go to bed early, around 9:30PM start to get ready to go to bed so you can be in bed at around 10 PM, this secures you 6 hours. Believe me, after waking up at 4 AM all you want is go to bed by 10 PM.

Study Plan - Timeline
KEEP IN MIND: You are an IMG so try to do your best, score above average that means above 227, every point counts.

At the beginning (early 2013) I watch Kaplan videos + read Kaplan notebooks for about 6 months which was a waste of time. I ended up not remembering much (May 2013).

Then I started reading FA 2013 with UW (10 questions blocks-random) at the same time, at that moment I get the feeling that I was actually remembering something for the exam.

I suggest keeping the questions random at the beginning; this gives you a sense that you can get a biochem question and then an ethics one. The exam is like that, changes from topics easily.

In the following months I progressively increased the number of questions (till 46), till doing at least a block a day. My UW block score % was around 55 or 50 and then decided to do my first NBME in October. The score was 410, this was honestly disappointing, knowing all that I have studied for about 10 months!… I decided to continue doing UW questions complementary with FA reading.

In summary, I Finished UW (January) with the following percentages in random blocks: 70 61 72 78 57 54 70 61 70 65 67 51. The last percentage on UW was surprising, 51!!! Damn that’s bad! , and my NBME score continue in around the same way, 440 NBME 12 - December, 460 NBME 7 – January.

By then I decided to postpone my exam for March 2014 and to work on my memory and reading skills (bellow) while doing a new question bank, USMLE rx + FA.

IMPROVING 200 – 210 NBME SCORES to 230!
Question reading mistakes: English is naturally not my first language, but I was rapidly reading questions without taking special notice of what they really asked me. My lovely fiancé helped me in this part and she noticed this that I was rushing through questions, without selecting the appropriate answer (when I actually know the answer). I got this when doing expanded feedback NMBE’s, Pay the extra so you get a sense if you mark the right thing in concepts that you supposed to master.

Increasing memory techniques:
- Excel Spread sheet: I started using this since January, putting here key concepts(per day), and tips to remember mnemonics in a quick way. Divide it per day and work on review session on the weekend. This works wonderful for me with the pict mnemonics I created.
- Picture mnemonics: works fantastic for me, but an excel is sufficient for other people, I recommend you to try different techniques and stay with the ones that help you to evoke more easily. This exam is about evoking and associating in the appropriate time.
- Sketchy mycro: fantastic tool, once I saw one video I bought them all.

After doing this for about 2 months + USMLE rx (scoring about 60 - 65) I noticed that I was evoking more easily through questions, with at least 5 -10 minutes to review the block. At the mid of Rx I did another NBME, 510 NBME 15, finally I decent score!!

Now I decided to focus on resistance for the test. Practicing entire 8 blocks sessions, this help you to get a real felling of the exam, another wonderful suggestion by my lovely fiancé. The results were about the same on NBME 510 and 530, UW assessments over predicted a bit 620 and 680. My late USMLE rx percentages were around 70 – 80.

With good NBME scores, I decided to work on the picture mnemonics I created to really memorize them, also watched Sketchy mycro again, revise my huge spread sheets and review past NBME’s.

EXAM DAY
Do it on Monday, so you can mentally rest the other days at work.
Did the following: 2 blocks, 5 min brake, 2 blocks, lunch 20 min, 2 blocks, 15-20 min and 1 block.
During breaks I drink a juice (naked ones are just perfect) with cookies and snacks. Always went to the restroom, and had a candy before entering again, candy’s is the best way to keep me awake. For lunch a sandwich(subway type) is fine.
Other people suggest 1 block and then rest, this is a waste of time knowing that they will check pockets and you have to go over the registration process.
On the exam I ended up marking (flagging) about 8-10 questions per block (Which meant that I was not totally sure). There was one block that I did not ended up flagging nothing. This means there are easy blocks and hard ones. In proportion I can say is like half and half, so no worries.

Scores - timeline:
Exam date – mid March 2014 - 238 yayy!! :) it WORKS!!
7 days before exam 530 NBME 13 – same day with NBME 11
7 days before exam 510 NBME 16
15 days exam UW test 1: 620 – same day with UW test 2
15 days before exam UW test 2: 680
21 month before exam 510 NBME 15 – Half USMLE rx
2 months before exam 460 NBME 7 – January – Done with UW
3.5 months before exam 440 NBME 12 - December
5 months before exam 410 NBME 6 (it was available then) – October – Half UW

Study strategies:
Google docs excel spread sheet:
Write here things that you have to remember, or that are taking you longer than expected. Also in your free time check it at work!! Seems like you are working when having an excel file open!! LOL

Picture mnemonics:
As mentioned in the study timeline, what really change my memory skills was sketchy mycro***, after watching their videos I started to do this with everything that requires a lot of details and high yield topics, Eg. Glomerulonephritis, vasculitis, CP450…. This was Fantastic!! Although I ended up creating my own picture nemonimcs I found it really useful

Try to enjoy your studying!! Having fun with your significant other or enjoying breaks with music you like is important to stay constant on your goals!

***Note: sketchy mycro help me a ton for the subject that I have the most (obviously after biochem) mycro!!. Check some of their videos on you tube, all are great and help you remember all about microbes absolutely easy!!! I thank them a lot I think I got like 5 -10 questions with their videos help.

Check this one for example:

Also for study strategies watch this one:

Do and Do Not -Quick Suggestions for someone starting or lost in the road

Do:
1. Read and memorize FA before questions. One or two times are enough.
2. Start with UW after reading FA.
3. By mid UW start with NBME (old ones first)
a. If you have a good NBME (score around 225) stay with your technique till the end of UW
b. If not a good score, try take more time reviewing FA and focus in your memorization tools. Maybe pay sketchy mycro?
c. Try to get at least 60-65% in UW or 65-70% in Rx, for the last 10 blocks.
4. If this does not get you a good NBME till the end of UW, pay another Q bank, Rx is great but not as UW.
5. Present the exam when having at least 2 -3 NBMEs with a good grade, I mean above average (227). You are an IMG so try to do your best scoring above average.
6. Best predicting tool = an NBME, not the q-banks percentages.
7. Try reviewing the NBME’s, FA, mnemonics and formulas at least once before the exam.
8. Try to find the memorization tool that works best for you (mnemonics, numbers, and pictures).

Do NOT:
1. Kaplan videos and books.
2. Start Q banks without reading first the FA.
3. Q banks subject wise, the exam is not like that.
4. Work is work, not the study area. Be aware of your responsibilities, but when having a free time study a bit. :)
5. Present the exam with a bad NBME (bellow 210).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I am a final year medical student and I am trying to decide when to take the Step 1 and 2CK. I have a friend who took her step 2CK first and I am starting to feel like that might work better for me. I am thinking about taking either Step 1 or 2CK 3 weeks after my finals and then the other a few months into my F1 job. Does anyone have any suggestions about timings and revising?

Hey everyone, I am a final year medical student and I am trying to decide when to take the Step 1 and 2CK. I have a friend who took her step 2CK first and I am starting to feel like that might work better for me. I am thinking about taking either Step 1 or 2CK 3 weeks after my finals and then the other a few months into my F1 job. Does anyone have any suggestions about timings and revising?

Hi Titola90,

If you are allowing yourself only 3 weeks for studying I would definitely take Step 2CK first. A lot of the material you will study for your finals is covered in Step 2CK. Step 1 is a huge mountain to climb, thus I would recommend much longer to study for it.

I would also get Step 2CS out of the way as close to finals as possible. You will have practiced how to do perfect exams for OSCEs, so you should be in awesome shape.

Hope this helps.

Taking CK before Step 1 is like putting cart before the horse.
Don't do it.

I did Step 1 and 2CK a week apart in that order but don't think it would have made any difference doing it the other way round.

Jonathan

I did Step 1 and 2CK a week apart in that order but don't think it would have made any difference doing it the other way round.

Jonathan

I agree. Psychologically it might make you feel better to take step 2ck after step 1. However the knowledge one acquires to study for finals in my opinion is invaluable for step 2ck and already in 6 months you will have forgotten a great deal of what you have leant.

Hello all!

Just wanted to revive this thread. I'm a UK citizen on a graduate course. Been hitched to an American for the better part of a decade now and a lot of my friends and life are over there. That and I think the training there is more focussed than in the UK.

I'm only half-way through my first year, but having read this thread with great interest, I can see the process really does take a few years of pre-planning. Grads, unfortunately do not have the luxurious summer holidays that some of you young'ens have. In fact, on my course, I will have (supposedly) completed the pre-clinical requirements by November this year (I literally just started 4 months ago...).

In terms of extra-curriculars and research, I'm all over that right now, but the main question I have regards clerkships. I realise most of the advertised IMG ones require final year students, but is there any flexibility for students in earlier years (in a similar way that we might do extra rotations in our time here in the UK)? I can't seem to find much online. Wondering if any of you have some insider knowledge? I have a B1 visa and my partner and I have a flat in Boston (annoyingly my partner is a Harvard PhD and HMS is pretty adamant that they won't take anyone but final year medical students).

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

Just wanted to revive this thread. I'm a UK citizen on a graduate course. Been hitched to an American for the better part of a decade now and a lot of my friends and life are over there. That and I think the training there is more focussed than in the UK.

I'm only half-way through my first year, but having read this thread with great interest, I can see the process really does take a few years of pre-planning. Grads, unfortunately do not have the luxurious summer holidays that some of you young'ens have. In fact, on my course, I will have (supposedly) completed the pre-clinical requirements by November this year (I literally just started 4 months ago...).

In terms of extra-curriculars and research, I'm all over that right now, but the main question I have regards clerkships. I realise most of the advertised IMG ones require final year students, but is there any flexibility for students in earlier years (in a similar way that we might do extra rotations in our time here in the UK)? I can't seem to find much online. Wondering if any of you have some insider knowledge? I have a B1 visa and my partner and I have a flat in Boston (annoyingly my partner is a Harvard PhD and HMS is pretty adamant that they won't take anyone but final year medical students).

Thanks in advance!

I have this same question actually.

Hi!

Have you looked into the requirements at other Med Schools in Boston like Boston University and Tufts? Perhaps their policy is less stringent.

Also, you might be able to arrange an observership rather than an elective/externship by being recommended by one of your mentors (that is how my journey to US started). Your girlfriend can try to meet a physician at Harvard and ask for a favour. The upside of an oberservership is that you don't normally pay anything and it less bureaucratic to get the paperwork sorted out. The downside is that you won't be able to touch patients, scrub, etc.

Out of curiosity, what specialty do you want to get into?

Hope this helps.

Hi!

Have you looked into the requirements at other Med Schools in Boston like Boston University and Tufts? Perhaps their policy is less stringent.

Also, you might be able to arrange an observership rather than an elective/externship by being recommended by one of your mentors (that is how my journey to US started). Your girlfriend can try to meet a physician at Harvard and ask for a favour. The upside of an oberservership is that you don't normally pay anything and it less bureaucratic to get the paperwork sorted out. The downside is that you won't be able to touch patients, scrub, etc.

Out of curiosity, what specialty do you want to get into?

Hope this helps.

Good advice, thanks. I'll look into BU and Tufts but they may suffer from the HMS effect. Observership could work, especially given it's only my first year so I don't need anything spectacular, just trying to be precocious and differentiate at this point. My UK med school has a connection with a hospital in the Bronx that I'm following up. I have a friend at Mt Sinai that's asking around and I get the impression they're "IMG friendly" (as it goes...).

In terms of specialities, I know more what I don't want to do: not too interested in surgery, OBGYN or paeds. Probably core IM specialties; I quite like infectious diseases, neurology and geriatrics (the latter was mostly what I did in my pre-med school clinical work).

Quick question: are you a UK citizen working in the US? I don't know any personally, but then no one in my family practices medicine.

P.S. to save time for those searching:

BU - $3,000 fee per 4 weeks; final year students only
Tufts - $100 fee per 4 weeks, max 2x week rotation; final year students only

The search continues!

Glad I could help. The fact you are not particularly interested in surgical specialties, it means that your life is going to be a bit easier : ) My suggestion is get your foot in the door with any connection you can. Then once there, network like crazy and try to observe the most prominent people in the department (ideally someone who is known at national/international level). Once you have found that person, stick to him/her like glue! Do research and keep in touch with him/her on a regular basis.

A few resources to give you an idea of what you should be doing to get ready to match in your desired specialty:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf

To answer your question. I went to med school and did F1, F2, part of CT1 in the UK. I am not a US citizen. Getting to the US is tough, but all the hard work you will put in it will be worth it! Honestly, training here is UNBELIEVABLE.

Hope this helps!