USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you take NBME 4, 6 , and 7 in test taking conditions? And what did you get on them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I took nbme 4 only the day before my exam and did well, the questions were quite easy. I prob stumbled on 3-4. The actual exam had many vague questions

I took nbme 4 only the day before my exam and did well, the questions were quite easy. I prob stumbled on 3-4. The actual exam had many vague questions

If you did well on NBME 4, and you took it online properly then i wouldn't be worried.

Hold up, you only missed 3-4 questions on NBME 4? And why did you take a practice test the day before the real thing? Not a smart move. But you probably did fine.

Also how did you do on STEP 1?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Took the test on 6/19. Probably not getting any sleep tonight seeing as how the scores should release tomorrow morning...

Members don't see this ad :)
coz my exam was much harder than uwsa2 and mean for uwsa2 was 237

My score ended up being 1 point higher than my UWSA 2, and 2 points higher than my UWSA1. Definitely felt the real exam was more difficult than the UWSA's, just due to lack of information given in the questions. Just trusted that the UWSA's are pretty predictive and that everyone feels like crud after the test.

6/15 Step 2 - upper 250s
UWSA1 - 245
1 month later UWSA2 - 264

NBMEs were all over the place and not an accurate prediction of my final score at all.

Reactions: 1 user
wait what? you took your exam on 6/19 and you got your score?
If you don't mind me asking what were your NBME scores?

4/22 form 4 - 245
5/28 form 6 - 228
6/1 form 3 - 222
6/10 form 7 - 237

I also scored a 245 on step 1. Really not sure how to explain my NBMEs but whatever. Like everyone else says, put more faith in the accuracy of the uworld assessments than the NBMEs.

4/22 form 4 - 245
5/28 form 6 - 228
6/1 form 3 - 222
6/10 form 7 - 237

I also scored a 245 on step 1. Really not sure how to explain my NBMEs but whatever. Like everyone else says, put more faith in the accuracy of the uworld assessments than the NBMEs.
Congrats. Seems that your score was the average of your both UWSAs. Which one you think was more reflective of the actual test?

NBME 6: 254
UWSA1: 269
UWSA2: 270
Free 120: 93%

Uworld first pass: 83%
Uworld second pass: 94%

Step 2: 270+

All I used during third year was Uworld, with COMBANK and Rx thrown in occasionally. Did not use any books because I never found one I liked. Made notecards for uworld stuff I didn't know and did those every day. Reset Uworld 6 weeks out and re-did it. Had one week of "dedicated".Ill echo what others have said... Uworld is all you need

Reactions: 8 users

All I used during third year was Uworld, with COMBANK and Rx thrown in occasionally. Did not use any books because I never found one I liked. Made notecards for uworld stuff I didn't know and did those every day. Reset Uworld 6 weeks out and re-did it. Had one week of "dedicated".Ill echo what others have said... Uworld is all you need
Good job. very impressive. combined with your step1 score, all the options are open for you.

That's like. Wow.

USMLE Step 1: 260+
MS3 Shelf Exams: 83-89
Average NBME (3,4,6,7) + UWSA (1,2): 260.8 (Range: 256-273)
Free 120: 89%
UWorld (1 complete pass; random, timed): 80%

USMLE Step 2 CK: 265+

Studied for 3-4 weeks. Throughout the year I completed roughly 40% of UWorld, and I did the other 60% during dedicated. Did not take notes. Read a book or two for each shelf, but admittedly didn't try as hard for shelves or Step 2 CK as I did for Step 1. Still, I'm happy with the result based on my goal of getting higher than my Step 1 score. CK is an extremely challenging exam. I relied heavily on pre-clinical knowledge.

My advice for doing well on this exam: work hard during MS1/MS2 and do well on Step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Lots of very impressive scores posted in here. Congrats to all who killed it. Hopefully my data point will be helpful for those who are scoring more middle of the road/slightly above average:

NBME 4: 211 (1 month out)
UWSA 1: 246 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 240 (2 weeks out)
NBME 6: 230 (1 week out)
UWorld: ~61% first pass - did about 2/3 along with rotations and finished the remaining 1/3 in dedicated.
~80% second pass during last 3 weeks (only completed about half during second pass)
Step 1: 240

STEP 2 CK: 244

Prepped with UWorld, Step up to Medicine, MTB, and onlinemeded for certain topics.
I think UWSA tests are much better predictors, as mentioned by previous posters. The deflation curve on NBMEs is a little too harsh.
I felt okay walking out of the test. Didn't think I had aced it but certainly didn't feel like I bombed it either. Felt very similar to UWorld difficulty, maybe slightly more challenging.
Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Lots of very impressive scores posted in here. Congrats to all who killed it. Hopefully my data point will be helpful for those who are scoring more middle of the road/slightly above average:

UWorld: ~61% first pass - did about 2/3 along with rotations and finished the remaining 1/3 in dedicated.
~80% second pass during last 3 weeks (only completed about half during second pass)

Prepped with UWorld, Step up to Medicine, MTB, and onlinemeded for certain topics.
I think UWSA tests are much better predictors, as mentioned by previous posters. The deflation curve on NBMEs is a little too harsh.
I felt okay walking out of the test. Didn't think I had aced it but certainly didn't feel like I bombed it either. Felt very similar to UWorld difficulty, maybe slightly more challenging.
Good luck to everyone!
Congrats. I'm glad to see someone did considerably better on the real thing compared to NBMEs. Did you take the Free 120?

Posting for a friend b/c she didn't have a username and told me to post for her.

Step 1: 221
Step 2: 266

Just giving some hope for those out there that didn't do too well on step 1.

Total dedicated studying period: 5 weeks

nbme 6 (5 wks before exam, before dedicated studying started): 249
nbme 4 (3 wks before exam): 254
nbme 7 (1 wk before exam): 252
uwsa1 + uwsa2 (took together a few days before exam): 266 + 249. total of 8 blocks b/w the two, got in the 80+% in the first 6 blocks and 60+% in the last 2 blocks. Tired out like crazy after 8 hrs at the end of uwsa2, thats why the score is so different from uwsa1.

clinical yr nbme exams were mostly in the 70+ percentiles, one in 90+ percentile, and 2 of them in the 20-30 percentiles (clearly didn't study too hard...or at all, these were first 2 rotations of clinical year)

Studied step 1 with just FA, didn't even do too much of Uworld. Wanted to try to only study 1 source super well instead of breadth over depth, clearly didn't work too well. Only did one practice nbme at the time and got 232. The biggest problem was running out of stamina and became unexpected tired during step 1.

For step 2 during dedicated studying period, used.....

- Re-did Uworld, 2nd pass avg was 78%....yea this sucked
- Did like 90% Kaplan Online Qbank with 69% avg
- Onlinemeded videos
- re-studied ob/gyn with casefiles
- re-studied psych with psych first aid
- did 300 Bro's cards for family med
- read like 50% of FA for medicine
- reviewed some high yield stuff during last 2 days from pathoma and FA for step 1
- obviously the practice exams (nbme + uwsa)

Went for breadth over depth this time and it worked. :) cheers studying and have hope!

Reactions: 2 users

Good luck to everyone!
CONGRATSS!! and thank you for the post!! I'm happy to see someone that gives me hopes. For some reason after getting a 220 on NBME 4, I've been feeling like I won't improve I don't know why. I wonder how do you guys raise the numbers from one week to the next? Please any advice.. please!! thank you in advance, and congrats!!!!

CONGRATSS!! and thank you for the post!! I'm happy to see someone that gives me hopes. For some reason after getting a 220 on NBME 4, I've been feeling like I won't improve I don't know why. I wonder how do you guys raise the numbers from one week to the next? Please any advice.. please!! thank you in advance, and congrats!!!!
But what about the UWSA? Those are more accurate predictors than the NBMEs

But what about the UWSA? Those are more accurate predictors than the NBMEs
Yes, I'm thinking of taking it next week and see how that goes. But for the past few days I've been demoralized somehow even in uworld I'm doing horribly (Scores used to be 80s now they are 60s). I'm thinking it might be due to a lack of refreshing the info so I'm currently reviewing all MTB2/MTB3 to see if that helps. I recently took my CS and for that reason, I kind of took a break from studying for CK, which seems to have bitten me one my back. I'm hoping that by the time the test comes I'm able to raise my score because there is no turning back. Thank you so much for the advice. and Again thanks to everyone posting their outcomes as it helps people like me feel a little more hopeful about the future.

Took the test two days ago. Wanted to briefly post a write up. Thought the test wasn't too bad coming out of it but I ended up looking up questions that I wasn't sure about which was probably a mistake; counted at least 16 (but it's also probably a function of remembering a lot of questions). I did really well on my practice tests though so I'm assuming I'll score around the same even with a lot of very dumb mistakes. In retrospect, I probably made the same dumb mistakes on the practice tests too, but I just never had time to obsess over them since you get your score right away.

Had a 2.5 week dedicated studying period after ending with internal medicine. Used Uworld, OME, and Step 2 secrets during dedicated, but used more specific resources for individual shelves throughout the year.

NBME 6 - 260 UWSA 1 - 267 NBME 3 - 260 NBME 4 - 277 NBME 7 - 275 UWSA 2 - 267

Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully I'll remember to edit this post after our scores come out since I was always annoyed that I never found out how people ended up doing.

Took the test two days ago. Wanted to briefly post a write up. Thought the test wasn't too bad coming out of it but I ended up looking up questions that I wasn't sure about which was probably a mistake; counted at least 16 (but it's also probably a function of remembering a lot of questions). I did really well on my practice tests though so I'm assuming I'll score around the same even with a lot of very dumb mistakes. In retrospect, I probably made the same dumb mistakes on the practice tests too, but I just never had time to obsess over them since you get your score right away.

Had a 2.5 week dedicated studying period after ending with internal medicine. Used Uworld, OME, and Step 2 secrets during dedicated, but used more specific resources for individual shelves throughout the year.

NBME 6 - 260 UWSA 1 - 267 NBME 3 - 260 NBME 4 - 277 NBME 7 - 275 UWSA 2 - 267

Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully I'll remember to edit this post after our scores come out since I was always annoyed that I never found out how people ended up doing.
what's step 2 secrets? mind sharing your specific shelf resources?