USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
do they give enough "clues" as in UWorld? I heard options are vague too, like you get confused.
what you think helped you most answering in the real deal?

I think they gave enough clues but there were some really weird questions as well. For my "dumb mistake" questions, I over thought what they were looking for.

Step 2 Secrets is a book

Used:
Peds: Uworld, BRS Peds, 85
Psych: Uworld, FA for Psych 96
OB-Gyn: Case-files, Uwise, Uworld 85
Surgery: Devirgilio, Pestana, Uworld 81
Neuro: Blueprints, casefiles, Uworld 96
IM: Uworld 92

Numbers are for the raw shelf scores
Emma Holliday's review videos were also pretty clutch for the shelves

Reactions: 1 user
Hii did anyone give the exam after the change in question pool?How did you find it similar to UWSA?
I got 260+ in UWSA 1 and 105/120 in free 120, but still feel unprepared..finished uworld 2-3 times...revising notes now..

Members don't see this ad :)
Felt so bad after taking CK, but it turned out good!
In order of completion:
Form 4: Beginning of my studies: 209
UWSA 1: 230
Form 6: 230
Form 3: 215
Form 7: 230
UWSA 2: 240
Sample Questions: 87%

Real Score: 239

Reactions: 2 users
Felt so bad after taking CK, but it turned out good!
In order of completion:
Form 4: Beginning of my studies: 209
UWSA 1: 230
Form 6: 230
Form 3: 215
Form 7: 230
UWSA 2: 240
Sample Questions: 87%

Real Score: 239

Do you happen to know what your number of incorrect was for NBME 6? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Seems that they score qs differently. I got higher with more wrongs and my friend go 235 with 25 wrongs
hmm, thats strange. Yeah, must be. It could be that if you get a question right where the majority of people get it wrong, you get more points. I don't know. Interesting

I think the main difference between uworld and real ck that I found was the weightage. I had almost 50 percent of my paper devoted to surgery OBGYN and ethics. rest was a mixture of pends med and psych. Couldn't believe so many ethics qts. But like what everyone says trust uwsa

I think the main difference between uworld and real ck that I found was the weightage. I had almost 50 percent of my paper devoted to surgery OBGYN and ethics. rest was a mixture of pends med and psych. Couldn't believe so many ethics qts. But like what everyone says trust uwsa
@wallebergsyndrome What was your exam date? How different were the questions in terms of difficulty and length compared to UWSA and NBME?

Took it yesterday. Eh...

Prep timeline:

NBME 6: 239
13 weeks of Qbanks and questions
USMLE-RX
Uworld x2
Onlinemeded
Firecracker
1/2 Kaplan
Free 150: 94%

Didnt do anymore NBMEs or UWSAs. I'm tired of these people financially raping medical students. Can't believe I have to wait til September 6th for my score. But it is what it is. Tom Petty was right- waiting is the hardest part.

Took it yesterday. Eh...

Prep timeline:

NBME 6: 239
13 weeks of Qbanks and questions
USMLE-RX
Uworld x2
Onlinemeded
Firecracker
1/2 Kaplan
Free 150: 94%

Didnt do anymore NBMEs or UWSAs. I'm tired of these people financially raping medical students. Can't believe I have to wait til September 6th for my score. But it is what it is. Tom Petty was right- waiting is the hardest part.

How was it?question length and difficulty, similar to Uworld?

@wallebergsyndrome What was your exam date? How different were the questions in terms of difficulty and length compared to UWSA and NBME?
my exam was on may 31st. qts were lengthier than uworld and harder than name 7. I thought I was giving surgery obgyn skin and ethics shelf exam. Was feeling hopeless after the exam but as everyone said trust uwsa got 260.

Members don't see this ad :)
Caveat to what follows: I can only speak to my experience and my exam. Your exam WILL be different. You WON'T get my exam, so take everything I say and any others say as it is - our exam experience. It isn't necessarily predictive of what you will see.

I found the question stems to mostly be UWorld style (long vignette, answer choices wordy), with very few of the free 150 (120) or NBME shorter vignette style questions. Felt like I was reading forever on many of the questions. That being said, YMMV. I felt like my test was full of ridiculously difficult questions with few or no easy questions in any block. Most people I have talked with in person or read about on here felt they had easy questions or blocks even. I think my test experience was an outlier, but wanted you to have a response to your question. My guess is you are more likely to have a mix of UW and shorter vignette questions. What ratio that ends up being is anyone's guess. My ratio was UW:Short - 90:10. Might have been slightly higher or lower, but I ran low on time on nearly every block when I never had time issues in UW, UWSAs or on NBME 7. Good luck!
Maybe we had the same version. I had maybe a total of 10-20 normal questions, where you actually have a good idea of what they're asking and the answer choices aren't too convoluted. The rest of the exam was impossible. Very long stems (although I had no problem with timing), very wordy and twisted answer choices (kinda like the ones you find in UW that try to trick you). Some questions require you to have a knowledge of every little aspect of a disease or medication side effect. Every block I told myself "it's ok. get through this one and hopefully the next block is easier", and before I knew it, I was done with the test. I guessed ALOT. I guessed more than I answered with confidence, a lot more.

Now, I do remember that a year ago I threw a tantrum on this forum after my step1, and then things turned out better than expected. However, I can't help but feel destroyed after my CK experience. I'm mad at myself for missing few "easy" questions because I was overwhelmed by the tough questions and ended up overthinking simple concepts.

my exam was on may 31st. qts were lengthier than uworld and harder than name 7. I thought I was giving surgery obgyn skin and ethics shelf exam. Was feeling hopeless after the exam but as everyone said trust uwsa got 260.
Were you able to recall questions that you missed when you got home from the exam?

I just took USWA 2 2.5 weeks out and feeling bad man - got 237. I'm studying during a halfway busy rotation, so I still have some time, but I'm angling to beat my step 1 of about 250. Think there's enough time left to do that or should I push back a bit?

Hello, everyone, I need your advice. I did UWSA1 exactly one month before and got a 236, my goal is 245+. I canceled my exam and I am doing uw now (I was scheduled to take the exam after uwsa last month but didn't do it as I was scared with 236). Now my overall score in uw right now is 88.8% with some topics remaining. I want to take my exam on 26th or 27th, I plan on doing NBME 6 and UWSA1(I didn't look at any questions from it last time so I think I can take it again and see if I improved) and UWSA2 and FRED in last week. Do you think this is a plan that can work, also what topics are recommended from UW step 3 if any?

Hello, everyone, I need your advice. I did UWSA1 exactly one month before and got a 236, my goal is 245+. I canceled my exam and I am doing uw now (I was scheduled to take the exam after uwsa last month but didn't do it as I was scared with 236). Now my overall score in uw right now is 88.8% with some topics remaining. I want to take my exam on 26th or 27th, I plan on doing NBME 6 and UWSA1(I didn't look at any questions from it last time so I think I can take it again and see if I improved) and UWSA2 and FRED in last week. Do you think this is a plan that can work, also what topics are recommended from UW step 3 if any?

Probably be a waste of time to retake UWSA1 even if you never looked at the answers. The score you get on it wouldn't really be representative of anything

Agree with the other poster, useless to redo UWSA1. I would also add on NBME 4 and 7, even though the scores aren't as accurate and people say questions are more like uworld, i always found it useful to do most of the NBME exams.

LOL I didn't expect to do well on it because I haven't studied or had a valuable rotation in ~6 months but how off are the NBMEs? I just took NBME 4 and got nearly 80% and it was a 205. That can't be possible

My permit just disappeared from USMLE. I guess that means the wait is over for me on Wednesday! Scary. Exam date - June 21. Walked out thinking it was more tolerable than Step 1 but still not a fun exam. Only did NBME 6 and got a 265.

Maybe we had the same version. I had maybe a total of 10-20 normal questions, where you actually have a good idea of what they're asking and the answer choices aren't too convoluted. The rest of the exam was impossible. Very long stems (although I had no problem with timing), very wordy and twisted answer choices (kinda like the ones you find in UW that try to trick you). Some questions require you to have a knowledge of every little aspect of a disease or medication side effect. Every block I told myself "it's ok. get through this one and hopefully the next block is easier", and before I knew it, I was done with the test. I guessed ALOT. I guessed more than I answered with confidence, a lot more.

Now, I do remember that a year ago I threw a tantrum on this forum after my step1, and then things turned out better than expected. However, I can't help but feel destroyed after my CK experience. I'm mad at myself for missing few "easy" questions because I was overwhelmed by the tough questions and ended up overthinking simple concepts.

I'll post whenever I find out my score. Hoping this week on Wednesday. It is possible you got an exam similar to mine. It is definitely rough feeling lost and like you're floundering all day. Sorry you had that experience too. I've just tried to stay busy and keep reminding myself that there's always the AOA match if it went horribly horribly wrong. Wish I could offer you some words of wisdom about it, but I don't want to tell you "oh, it'll be all right. trust your practice tests." since I don't have mine back yet. That would be very disingenuous of me. Waiting does suck, but I'm honestly glad it's over and that I shouldn't have to take anymore tests while I'm in med school. So maybe focus on that and on any upcoming rotations? I've been having a blast on my first away, so maybe that can be a bright point for you? Anyway, good luck man! I'm fairly certain it will turn out ok in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
My permit just disappeared from USMLE. I guess that means the wait is over for me on Wednesday! Scary. Exam date - June 21. Walked out thinking it was more tolerable than Step 1 but still not a fun exam. Only did NBME 6 and got a 265.

Mine disappeared too. Same exam date. I wasn't nervous until I saw it was gone. Going to be a long few days...

I took exam on 6/30. My permit link so far hasn't disappear(I'm IMG). Anybody taken test 6/26-30 still have permit link there?
Based on above posts, is it likely I should receive result next Wednesday(7/26) instead of this coming one?

I took exam on 6/30. My permit link so far hasn't disappear(I'm IMG). Anybody taken test 6/26-30 still have permit link there?
Based on above posts, is it likely I should receive result next Wednesday(7/26) instead of this coming one?

My permit link is still there too! Hope it's just because results don't come out till next week..

And forgot to say - took test 6/30
Sounds like a reliever, as I didn't feel great(I felt I have similar or slightly higher percentage of wrong/uncertain questions than step 1 when walking out of exam)..I really hope to score above mean, or at least higher than step 1 (229)

Sounds like a reliever, as I didn't feel great(I felt I have similar or slightly higher percentage of wrong/uncertain questions than step 1 when walking out of exam)..I really hope to score above mean, or at least higher than step 1 (229)
Same. Didn't feel great and had similar step 1 score :/

How do I find this so called permit link
Sign onto NBME where you'd find your score. There is a link to see your permit to take the exam. It supposedly disappears the weekend before your score comes out if you've passed. It can also disappear if your eligibility expires too though.

How do I find this so called permit link
If you're IMG, sign to IWA on ECFMG
ECFMG On-line Services
Once you log in, you will see a link says Print/Reprint schedule permit. See if that think is there. If not, then you'll likely get score this coming Wednesday(And it means passage of exam???). This won't apply if your eligibility period has already expired

Took mine 6/27- permit still there. Dang, was really hoping for results this week...

First off, thanks for all the comments on here throughout studying for it, you guys saved me a lot of $$$ on the NBMEs (haha).

Took the beast last Friday, and it is certainly a beast. I will agree with a previous poster that a lot you can narrow down to two and unless you knew every single thing about a disease, it's a crap shoot. The ethics are out of this world difficult - I don't think anyone could have studied specific for those. I would say I had a decent mix of all the specialties (probably 60% medicine) and at minimum 2 ethics and 2 stats per block (they actually overlapped sometimes which was interesting). I also would echo a previous poster about having a lot of "what is the biggest risk factor..." and annoying stuff like that. But I will say I thought the content was fair, there's just no way one could know all of the things about a disease that they were asking. Def harder content-wise than the UWSA as there is just pure lack of info per question, but I thought the question lengths were similar. Finished each block 8mins early or so (may seem obvious make sure you read the question at the end of vignette first! you can save so much time this way if that is an issue for you). Also, review basic science stuff (hematology, endocrine, and genetics were big for me), and also had AT MINIMUM 1-2 radiology images per block.

Good luck. Will post my stats when I get my score.

Now any encouraging posters with stellar scores regarding stupid mistakes? Made 3 that I can think of that I thought I knew cold that I just screwed up on test day because of changing my answer at the last second.

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if you guys can share your experience about the difficulty level of UWSA 2 compared to UWSA 1 and how predictive is UWSA 2 and NBME 6?

when I gave uwsa mean for uwsa1 was 242 and for uwsa2 was 237. uwsa2 tougher. than uwsa1, I found it to be more predictive

when I gave uwsa mean for uwsa1 was 242 and for uwsa2 was 237. uwsa2 tougher. than uwsa1, I found it to be more predictive
I did UWSA 1 one month back and got a 236 I have my exam on 26th july. I will take UWSA 2 on 23rd. I am just scared as people said UWSA 2 is way harder than UWSA 1 so I was wondering how it is. Thank you for your reply. I did UW again in one month since UWSA 1. Is UW enough to answer UWSA 2 or not?

I did UWSA 1 one month back and got a 236 I have my exam on 26th july. I will take UWSA 2 on 23rd. I am just scared as people said UWSA 2 is way harder than UWSA 1 so I was wondering how it is. Thank you for your reply. I did UW again in one month since UWSA 1. Is UW enough to answer UWSA 2 or not?

My guess to your last question would be yes. since its their qbank and self-assessment, I would think they would have all concepts and info you need to do well on their self-assessment.

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if you guys can share your experience about the difficulty level of UWSA 2 compared to UWSA 1 and how predictive is UWSA 2 and NBME 6?

CK score pending but I found UWSA 2 to be the most challenging self assessment I took for step 2 (aside from the comp NBME).

UWSA 2 felt quite a bit harder than 1 to me, but my score was one point higher on UWSA2.

As far as predicting, my real score was 1 point higher than UWSA2, 2 points higher than UWSA1. 17 points higher than NBME 6 (but I took NBME 6 several months before my CK, and before I had my psych or OB rotations...so take that for what its worth)