USMLE or COMLEX for ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year DO student and will be going into a rotating internship next year, but will be applying for an allopathic residency for the following year. I took the USMLE I at the same time I took Comlex I, but scored a 200 compared to a 66th percentile on the Comlex. My question is to anyone who may know---do I have to report my score of the USMLE on the ERAS application, or just the comlex? or do I have to report both? The USMLE score is not great, but I did pass it. Just curious. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to report your USMLE score to complete your ERAS application. Your Dean's office can scan in your COMLEX score and you can use that as your licensing exam score. However, the tricky part is if and when the PD asks if you took the USMLE. Are you gonna lie? Do PD's know that you have taken the test and did not report the score? I don't know the answer to that.

A 66th percentile on the COMLEX is no doubt better than a 200 on the USMLE. If you feel weary about reporting a 200, don't. Only divulge that info when you are asked. Apply to programs that have a history of accepting only the COMLEX.

Good luck.

So basically, it's better for a DO student to not report a mediocre USMLE score? Doesn't passing it count for anything? Thanks.

Depends on how competitive the residency you want to obtain. Passing the USLME might be adequate for some residencies, but not for more competitive ones. Your performance on the COMLEX was better than the USMLE, and I would suggest you put your best foot forward when applying. If the program accepts the COMLEX as a screening board exam for interviews, no sweat. Just ask your clinical education office to scan in your COMLEX score(s). If they want USMLEs only, it's up to you to decide whether your score is competitive for that particular program. I would suggest that you call the programs you are interested in about their board preference come application time.

Also, in general, the more competitive the residency, the more likely they will only accept USMLE scores. This was the case for me in radiology this year.