USMLE..recheck??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicilianmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i finally got my score back from usmle and it is a 74, or 181....

the crappy part is that passing is 75 or 182......i am obviously going to have my exam rechecked...for one measly point!!!

i was wondering if anyone has passed on a recheck and more or less what are my chances???...for one measly point!!!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear that u failed the exam. but to be honest with u, its better to fail the exam, than get the minimum passing score. with a minimum passing score, how do u expect to get a quality residency? remember, once u pass, u cant retake USMLE 1.

anyway, id skip the recheck prcoess, and focus on improving ur weaknesses so that u can do better the next time u take the exam. u have taken it once, so u know what to expect, and should use that knowledge to ur advantage while preparing.

best of luck.

I don't agree with prominence's advice.

A "fail" will still show up on your USMLE transcript even if you retake it and pass. Though some residency programs require a minimum score for an interview....the same is true about a failing score...there are some who won't interview if you've failed it regardless of how well you did the second time.

I would personally get it re-scored. I would rather have a low step 1 score than a fail. And don't forget about step 2. Study hard for it....take it early and improve your perfomance. That will mean a lot with residencies.

Finally....don't be discouraged. It's not the end of the world either way. There is a lot more to an application than step 1 scores. Prominence asks in his thread, "how do u expect to get a quality residency?" Don't be turned off by that. A lot depends on the specialty and what you consider a "quality" program. It's really a subjective question.

Best of luck...hope it all works out for you...

Originally posted by Big Lebowski
A "fail" will still show up on your USMLE transcript even if you retake it and pass. Though some residency programs require a minimum score for an interview....there are some who won't interview if you've failed it regardless of how well you did the second time.

i agree that nothing good comes from a failing score. but if an international medical graduate gets the bare minimum on the first attempt, how do u think will residency directors view this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prominence....you make a good point.

The reason I wouldn't want a fail is as follows....when I was applying to programs for residency, I looked for minimum step 1 and 2 requirements. Many programs stated they will not grant an interview with a history of a fail in either....however, few had minimum passing score requirements.

I'm generalizing...but that was the trend I encountered. A minimum passing score is a limit...but did not seem as limiting as a fail despite an improved score on the second attempt.

Either way...in the end...compromises will need to be made...

Sicilianmd,

I am sorry to hear about your score. Personally, I would study for it a bit more and take it again (I think you'll probably do much better next, esp. b/c you were so close to passing this time....GOOD LUCK).

By the way, I was wondering if you took your exam in 2003. If so, did they tell you what the mean and standard deviation was this year? Last year the mean was 216 with a very large SD (24), which means that it is likely that many more people were in your situation last year.

So, if you know what the mean and sd from the 2003 exam is, please post it.

best of luck

How do you find out what a programs minimum scores are for interviewing applicants for residency?

Some programs list the USMLE score requirements on their website.

Generally, I've found them under the "application" link. If they are going to list a requirement, it would be with section that states what they want with their app....ie. 3 LORs, completed ERAS app, CV, letter from dept chair, Step I and II score minimum of 220, etc...

Though many places have a minimal requirement....a lot do not put this on a website...so I cannot tell you how to find it out in that situation.

I failed on my first attempt at Step 1 with a 72. Then passed it the second time with an 82/205.

I thought that failing the step 1 would significantly impact my chances for residency, but I ended up getting 15 interviews and am now anxiously awaiting the match result on march 17.

While it is true that failing any exam looks poorly, a score in the high 70s appears to be more limiting for foreign grads. I have had several friends that failed step 1 like me, got mid to high 80s on the second attempt, and had little problem getting interviews. My friends with high 70s first attempt had a harder time getting interviews.