Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Step 1 first-year material

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DocToBe, Jun 7, 2001.

1. DocToBe

DocToBe Member

Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sl

sl Junior Member

I have exactly the same question on my mind. Between the High Yield and the Ridicuously Simple series, which one is better?

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been told "First Aid" was really good!!!

5. DocToBe

DocToBe Member

Whoops, actually I meant to say that I was going to read these over in First-Aid, not High-Yield. High-yield vs. ridiculously simple depends on the subject. For example, micro made ridiculously simple is a great book, whereas I would never read Neuroscience made ridiculously simple in place of High-Yield Neuroscience by Fix.

DocToBe

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Anatomy: Very little; what there was was mostly neuroanatomy and some ortho trauma

Biochem: not much; all were clinical, ie, symptoms due to missing enzyme rather than naming missing enzyme

Histology: don't remember any at all

Neuroscience: again, mostly neural pathways. High Yield Neuro is great (and adequate)!

Physio: fair bit of stuff, especially homeostatic mechanisms, bp and hr regulation

Micro: lots; Get Ridiculously Simple

Nutrition: don't remember any

Genetics: some basic questions; First Aid was enough

Its been awhile, but I recall it being mostly path, micro and pharm. Hope this helps. :D

7. How about virology? I was looking at a friend's coursework and he had to know which viruses were double stranded, single-stranded, etc. Do the board test such minutae on virology?

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Unfortunately Sniper, I DO recall a couple of those kinds of questions...if only because I had such a hard time remembering it myself! First Aid has a table for that stuff. Memorize it.

9. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Kimberli Cox.... does it again!!! Thanks for the info.... :D

10. WSU02

WSU02 Member

I had tons of nutrition on my Step 1...just beware!

Otherwise, I agree with Kimberli.
    Kristi

11. Just get a set of the Kaplan notes. They cover pretty much all the material you need to know for the exam. If you need a set of the notes email me [email protected]

12. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, no kidding... 3,000 pages -- you'd hope the Kaplan notes covered everything. Suprisingly, however, they don't cover EVERYTHING. :)

13. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Tim, have you taken the dread thing yet?