USMLE Step 1 first-year material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe

sl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have exactly the same question on my mind. Between the High Yield and the Ridicuously Simple series, which one is better?

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whoops, actually I meant to say that I was going to read these over in First-Aid, not High-Yield. High-yield vs. ridiculously simple depends on the subject. For example, micro made ridiculously simple is a great book, whereas I would never read Neuroscience made ridiculously simple in place of High-Yield Neuroscience by Fix.

DocToBe

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Originally posted by DocToBe:
•Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe•

Anatomy: Very little; what there was was mostly neuroanatomy and some ortho trauma

Biochem: not much; all were clinical, ie, symptoms due to missing enzyme rather than naming missing enzyme

Histology: don't remember any at all

Neuroscience: again, mostly neural pathways. High Yield Neuro is great (and adequate)!

Physio: fair bit of stuff, especially homeostatic mechanisms, bp and hr regulation

Micro: lots; Get Ridiculously Simple

Nutrition: don't remember any

Genetics: some basic questions; First Aid was enough

Its been awhile, but I recall it being mostly path, micro and pharm. Hope this helps. :D

S

sniperbubble

How about virology? I was looking at a friend's coursework and he had to know which viruses were double stranded, single-stranded, etc. Do the board test such minutae on virology?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately Sniper, I DO recall a couple of those kinds of questions...if only because I had such a hard time remembering it myself! First Aid has a table for that stuff. Memorize it.

Popoy

SDN Super Moderator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kimberli Cox.... does it again!!! Thanks for the info.... :D

WSU02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had tons of nutrition on my Step 1...just beware!

Otherwise, I agree with Kimberli.
Kristi

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding... 3,000 pages -- you'd hope the Kaplan notes covered everything. Suprisingly, however, they don't cover EVERYTHING. :)