• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2000
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2000
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
Whoops, actually I meant to say that I was going to read these over in First-Aid, not High-Yield. High-yield vs. ridiculously simple depends on the subject. For example, micro made ridiculously simple is a great book, whereas I would never read Neuroscience made ridiculously simple in place of High-Yield Neuroscience by Fix.

DocToBe

About the Ads

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by DocToBe:
•Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe•

Anatomy: Very little; what there was was mostly neuroanatomy and some ortho trauma

Biochem: not much; all were clinical, ie, symptoms due to missing enzyme rather than naming missing enzyme

Histology: don't remember any at all

Neuroscience: again, mostly neural pathways. High Yield Neuro is great (and adequate)!

Physio: fair bit of stuff, especially homeostatic mechanisms, bp and hr regulation

Micro: lots; Get Ridiculously Simple

Nutrition: don't remember any

Genetics: some basic questions; First Aid was enough

Its been awhile, but I recall it being mostly path, micro and pharm. Hope this helps. :D

S

sniperbubble

How about virology? I was looking at a friend's coursework and he had to know which viruses were double stranded, single-stranded, etc. Do the board test such minutae on virology?

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.