USMLE Step 1 first-year material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.

I have exactly the same question on my mind. Between the High Yield and the Ridicuously Simple series, which one is better?

I've been told "First Aid" was really good!!!

Whoops, actually I meant to say that I was going to read these over in First-Aid, not High-Yield. High-yield vs. ridiculously simple depends on the subject. For example, micro made ridiculously simple is a great book, whereas I would never read Neuroscience made ridiculously simple in place of High-Yield Neuroscience by Fix.

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DocToBe:
•Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe•

Anatomy: Very little; what there was was mostly neuroanatomy and some ortho trauma

Biochem: not much; all were clinical, ie, symptoms due to missing enzyme rather than naming missing enzyme

Histology: don't remember any at all

Neuroscience: again, mostly neural pathways. High Yield Neuro is great (and adequate)!

Physio: fair bit of stuff, especially homeostatic mechanisms, bp and hr regulation

Micro: lots; Get Ridiculously Simple

Nutrition: don't remember any

Genetics: some basic questions; First Aid was enough

Its been awhile, but I recall it being mostly path, micro and pharm. Hope this helps. :D

How about virology? I was looking at a friend's coursework and he had to know which viruses were double stranded, single-stranded, etc. Do the board test such minutae on virology?

Kimberli Cox.... does it again!!! Thanks for the info.... :D

I had tons of nutrition on my Step 1...just beware!

Otherwise, I agree with Kimberli.
Kristi

Yeah, no kidding... 3,000 pages -- you'd hope the Kaplan notes covered everything. Suprisingly, however, they don't cover EVERYTHING. :)