SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Step 1 first-year material

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DocToBe, Jun 7, 2001.

1. DocToBe

DocToBe Member 10+ Year Member

May 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    Hey all,

How much first-year material did you find on your USMLE Step 1? I'm talking about anatomy, biochemistry, histology, genetics, nutrition, neuroscience, physiology, and microbiology. I was thinking about just reading these over in high-yield over the summer just so they stay relatively fresh. What do you think?

DocToBe

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sl

sl Junior Member 7+ Year Member

May 29, 2001
    Queens, New York
    I have exactly the same question on my mind. Between the High Yield and the Ridicuously Simple series, which one is better?

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Michigan
    I've been told "First Aid" was really good!!!

5. DocToBe

DocToBe Member 10+ Year Member

May 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    Whoops, actually I meant to say that I was going to read these over in First-Aid, not High-Yield. High-yield vs. ridiculously simple depends on the subject. For example, micro made ridiculously simple is a great book, whereas I would never read Neuroscience made ridiculously simple in place of High-Yield Neuroscience by Fix.

DocToBe

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Anatomy: Very little; what there was was mostly neuroanatomy and some ortho trauma

Biochem: not much; all were clinical, ie, symptoms due to missing enzyme rather than naming missing enzyme

Histology: don't remember any at all

Neuroscience: again, mostly neural pathways. High Yield Neuro is great (and adequate)!

Physio: fair bit of stuff, especially homeostatic mechanisms, bp and hr regulation

Micro: lots; Get Ridiculously Simple

Nutrition: don't remember any

Genetics: some basic questions; First Aid was enough

Its been awhile, but I recall it being mostly path, micro and pharm. Hope this helps. :D

7. How about virology? I was looking at a friend's coursework and he had to know which viruses were double stranded, single-stranded, etc. Do the board test such minutae on virology?

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Unfortunately Sniper, I DO recall a couple of those kinds of questions...if only because I had such a hard time remembering it myself! First Aid has a table for that stuff. Memorize it.

9. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Michigan
    Kimberli Cox.... does it again!!! Thanks for the info.... :D

10. WSU02

WSU02 Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Detroit, MI
    I had tons of nutrition on my Step 1...just beware!

Otherwise, I agree with Kimberli.
    Kristi

11. Just get a set of the Kaplan notes. They cover pretty much all the material you need to know for the exam. If you need a set of the notes email me [email protected]

12. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    Yeah, no kidding... 3,000 pages -- you'd hope the Kaplan notes covered everything. Suprisingly, however, they don't cover EVERYTHING. :)

13. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

May 8, 2000
    Tim, have you taken the dread thing yet?