USMLE USMLE STEP 1 Prep courses - has anyone tried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madw

Reaction score
Hello SDN I am planning on taking STEP1 this summer but I know as a fact that I need more guidance in studying and test-taking for the board in order to achieve my desired goal of 250. I was wondering if anyone has tried any BootCamp style courses/programs/tutoring if anyone has any recommen utoring

Members don't see this ad.

Hey madw,
I used a bootcamp course for both step 1 and step 2CK. It is 100% worth it i increased my score on step 1 from a 200 on practice tests to a 257 on the actual test. I give full credit to that increase to my tutors who helped me learn how to improve my test taking strategies and guided me through the correct step 1 resources. Im now a resident and ended up matching my number one in neurosurgery. I highly recommend doing a class as it will give you the edge over every one else. Hit me up if you have any questions and I can put you into contact with who I used.

OnlineMedEd offers pretty expensive coaching programs for board exams. It's worth quite a lot but if its what you think you need for 250 on Step 1 which makes you competitive to NSG it may be worth thinking about. (FYI-I am NOT endorsing or recommending the product). Definitely not a the best story out there as this is the sort of thing that just makes socioeconomic disparities worse, but I am inclined to think it probably works. I see plans going from $1100-$8000

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey madw,
I used a bootcamp course for both step 1 and step 2CK. It is 100% worth it i increased my score on step 1 from a 200 on practice tests to a 257 on the actual test. I give full credit to that increase to my tutors who helped me learn how to improve my test taking strategies and guided me through the correct step 1 resources. Im now a resident and ended up matching my number one in neurosurgery. I highly recommend doing a class as it will give you the edge over every one else. Hit me up if you have any questions and I can put you into contact with who I used.
whats the full name of the program you used?

whats the full name of the program you used?
I used a couple resources courses and programs.
Resources I used: Pathoma, First aid, Pharm cards, Sketchy Micro, U world and Kaplan videos
Tutoring/support I used : DIT, Kansas city medical board prep/tutoring, roadmap to residency tutoring and study groups at my medical school.

Took a decent amount of time to go through all of that but it ended up working out quite well for me. Definitely not a time in my life that I would want to repeat again though.

Reactions: 1 user