USMLE USMLE STEP 1 Prep courses - has anyone tried?

Started by madw
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

madw

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN I am planning on taking STEP1 this summer but I know as a fact that I need more guidance in studying and test-taking for the board in order to achieve my desired goal of 250. I was wondering if anyone has tried any BootCamp style courses/programs/tutoring if anyone has any recommen utoring
 
Hey madw,
I used a bootcamp course for both step 1 and step 2CK. It is 100% worth it i increased my score on step 1 from a 200 on practice tests to a 257 on the actual test. I give full credit to that increase to my tutors who helped me learn how to improve my test taking strategies and guided me through the correct step 1 resources. Im now a resident and ended up matching my number one in neurosurgery. I highly recommend doing a class as it will give you the edge over every one else. Hit me up if you have any questions and I can put you into contact with who I used.
 
OnlineMedEd offers pretty expensive coaching programs for board exams. It's worth quite a lot but if its what you think you need for 250 on Step 1 which makes you competitive to NSG it may be worth thinking about. (FYI-I am NOT endorsing or recommending the product). Definitely not a the best story out there as this is the sort of thing that just makes socioeconomic disparities worse, but I am inclined to think it probably works. I see plans going from $1100-$8000
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey madw,
I used a bootcamp course for both step 1 and step 2CK. It is 100% worth it i increased my score on step 1 from a 200 on practice tests to a 257 on the actual test. I give full credit to that increase to my tutors who helped me learn how to improve my test taking strategies and guided me through the correct step 1 resources. Im now a resident and ended up matching my number one in neurosurgery. I highly recommend doing a class as it will give you the edge over every one else. Hit me up if you have any questions and I can put you into contact with who I used.
whats the full name of the program you used?
 
whats the full name of the program you used?
I used a couple resources courses and programs.
Resources I used: Pathoma, First aid, Pharm cards, Sketchy Micro, U world and Kaplan videos
Tutoring/support I used : DIT, Kansas city medical board prep/tutoring, roadmap to residency tutoring and study groups at my medical school.

Took a decent amount of time to go through all of that but it ended up working out quite well for me. Definitely not a time in my life that I would want to repeat again though.