USMLE step 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sdonnenwerth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Ok, here's the deal. All the step 1 scores are back for my class and we had 27 of 175 fail (myself not included, thank the Lord). I am just curious if other schools are seeing similar results. If you happen to know how your class did as a whole, let me know. But please avoid the whole "everyone in my class passed because my school's the best" crap. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hmm...that's a good number. my class had 4 of 80 last year fail. the year before that I believe it was 2 of 80 -- that was the transition from paper to computer. At the same time, it seems the mean went up a bit and the pass cutoff went up too. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. oh well, just my 2 cents.

Hmmmm, I go to a DO school. And from what I understand, only three of about 100 or so have failed the USMLE. Granted, I don't know all the scores. It is probably more like 5 or so. Luckily I did ok on it also. In fact I guess we had some students get in the roughly the 95th percentile or so (based on the little curve...since they don't print your percentile).
Where do you guys go to school?

Does anyone out there have any advice for osteopathic students who failed the USMLE? For example, does this pretty much shut the door on certain residencies like peds, psych and ob/gyn or do Steps 2 and 3 matter more? For that matter, should I forget about the USMLE and only take the COMLEX steps 2 and 3?Should I forget the next 2 years of med school and apply to Law School? COMLEX scores aren't out yet but I actually think I did worse on that one, god help me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sucks that you failed, because obviously with the USMLE only an option and not a requirement...you are in a rough place. I don't really know what to tell you. Except perhaps don't let it get you down and bite it in the ass and take it over. I wouldn't want to leave anything unresolved.

DOLady, the good new is, nothing closes the door for peds or psych. You don't want to give up on USMLE over one bad experience. Just study and retake it. Let's face it, a DO with a normal medical liscense is just as good as an MD. But a DO without one doesn't even come close. Don't sell yourself short.

Actually, DOs get the same medical license as MDs regardless of which set of Boards they take - at least this is the case in New York. Does it differ in other states?

sorry, but that is incorrect. At least everywhere but New York. There is only one route to obtaining a liscense to practice medicine and surgery in this country, and that is through USMLE. (Somehow, they've managed to convince everyone that they, and only they, have the ability to determine who knows enough to be a doctor). Now keep in mind that I didn't go to DO school, and am stating only what we've been taught. So I don't mean to be arguing with you, I'm only saying that what you said contradicts what our med school tells us.

No offense taken! Actually, I checked with a number of friends who are doing/have completed their residencies in different states - none of them took the USMLE but all of them are licensed to practice. I think I know what your school was referring to, though. There are currently 5 states (FL, WV, PA, MI, and one other which I can never remember) which require DOs to do a 1 year rotating internship in order to obtain a license to practice. In addition, if I remember correctly, Louisiana requires all DO students to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX in order to become licensed but they are the only state I know of that does this. Some residency programs may require that DOs take the USMLE, but most of them, including such places as the Cleveland Clinic, are willing to accept the COMLEX in its place. I also recently had the opportunity to actually see the medical license of a DO - it's simply a license to practice medicine and surgery, the same one that's issued to MDs in New York. I know, it's confusing, and the AMA and AOA do very little to make it any less confusing!!!
wink.gif

Hi there,

So are you guys saying that the USMLE is optional? I thought that it was mandatory. What about the COMLEX? I know a family practice doctor who recently graduated from med school and he did not do a residency (only a 1 year internship. Does someone like this not have to take the boards at all? Thanks for any input.

The USMLE is optional for osteopathic students only; students from allopathic medical schools are required to take it. Osteopathic students take the COMLEX exam, which is basically the same as the USMLE with the addition of osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). While osteopathic students are allowed to take the USMLE, allopathic students are not allowed to take the COMLEX b/c they don't have the required coursework in OMM. You have to pass the appropriate boards in order to become licensed, regardless of whether or not you do a residency.