usmle step 1 time needed to prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddssmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
my sister is planning to take usmle step 1 in june/july.how much time is needed to prepare for exam?she has enrolled online for usmle course for 2 months.is that helpful.advice needed.thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure if you browse this forum for a few minutes, you'll start seeing the huge variety in the ways people study. Some people study for 2-3 weeks, some people study for 2-3 months. The way you study is dependent on so many factors, and there is NO 1-size-fits-all. I'm sure if your sister is in a US med school, they will prepare her well and you don't need to worry about anything.

my sister is in India,just finished med school.She is planning to come to US in Sep.She wants to take step 1 in july.

It really depends on a person's background. I have friends who could probably pull 260 before they're even done with classes, while others who will study for months and barely pass. It's highly individualized. Have her do a practice exam and then go from there. No one here knows how well she was prepared.

she has some materials to study,but really confused from where to start.doing practice exams would be a great start i guess