USMLE step 2 CK for canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsl5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a canadian and was planning on writing step 2 CK around the same time as our MCCQE 1 exam (basically an end of med school exam in canada) and was wondering if anyone has written both and if studying for one of them is sufficient to cover the other exam as well or are they drastically different?
A Few more questions:
1) I was planning on studying during my last rotations (basically 1-2 months of studying before/after clinical duties on a lighter rotation), do you think this will be enough?

2)Has anyone used Toronto notes for step 2 ck?

3) how much do fellowship programs in the US care about step 2 score as long as I pass? I scored in the low 260s for step 1.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a canadian and was planning on writing step 2 CK around the same time as our MCCQE 1 exam (basically an end of med school exam in canada) and was wondering if anyone has written both and if studying for one of them is sufficient to cover the other exam as well or are they drastically different?
A Few more questions:
1) I was planning on studying during my last rotations (basically 1-2 months of studying before/after clinical duties on a lighter rotation), do you think this will be enough?

2)Has anyone used Toronto notes for step 2 ck?

3) how much do fellowship programs in the US care about step 2 score as long as I pass? I scored in the low 260s for step 1.

Thanks for any advice.

1) People's experience with 2CK prep differs. It's been to my observation that most Americans don't study long for it because their shelf exams and clinical rotations prep them well. Internationals generally need to study a bit more though because they don't have shelf exams.

2) Can't comment here. But I've looked at Toronto notes before and didn't like how they were written.

3) If you're applying to competitive specialties and/or competitive locations, then 2CK matters, especially as an international. But Step 1 is the major hurdle. The only people who can manage to squeeze by landing great residencies without taking 2CK are the Americans. It isn't fair, but the system is heavily biased.

I know a Canadian guy who had done practice assessment for both Step 1 and MCCQE and said they were similar. I'd say with a low-260s Step 1 you'd already score high on the MCCQE.

1) People's experience with 2CK prep differs. It's been to my observation that most Americans don't study long for it because their shelf exams and clinical rotations prep them well. Internationals generally need to study a bit more though because they don't have shelf exams.

2) Can't comment here. But I've looked at Toronto notes before and didn't like how they were written.

3) If you're applying to competitive specialties and/or competitive locations, then 2CK matters, especially as an international. But Step 1 is the major hurdle. The only people who can manage to squeeze by landing great residencies without taking 2CK are the Americans. It isn't fair, but the system is heavily biased.

I know a Canadian guy who had done practice assessment for both Step 1 and MCCQE and said they were similar. I'd say with a low-260s Step 1 you'd already score high on the MCCQE.

Thanks for the response. Actually my school uses the NBMEs for end of rotation exams so I've written most of the major ones that US students would write. I always thought that Canadians weren't seen as "internationals" as I was eligible for the US NRMP/ERAS for 1st round but is this not the case for fellowships?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Actually my school uses the NBMEs for end of rotation exams so I've written most of the major ones that US students would write. I always thought that Canadians weren't seen as "internationals" as I was eligible for the US NRMP/ERAS for 1st round but is this not the case for fellowships?
If you go to a Canadian school you're not considered an "IMG", you do however need a visa, if you're not a US citizen...which unfortunately limits ur options to hospitals that sponsor J-1 visas etc.
Fellowship is different, its a much more laid back process and they're quite friendly when it comes to IMGs/people that require visas.