USMLE step 2 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious how long it took to get back your USMLE step 2 scores?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores are released by NBME every wednesday and you can check the status online through the link in your email about registration confirmation. They said the scores have been delayed for those who took it the 2nd week of august onward. Hope that helps.

GrandMasterB said:
does anyone have the mean/sd?

Got my scores today from my Dean's office. Took the exam on 8/20.

Got a 244/99 according to the my school, but I need to see the scores on paper for it to really hit me. I am very happy with the results!!

I studied for about 4 weeks and used the following resources:

Kaplan notes and lecture videos
boards and wards
crush step 2
first aid for step 2
step 2 q bank - averaged 76%
NMS step 2 questions

Good luck to everyone!!

does your dean's office actually contact you about your scores, jf? i go to a DO school as well, I was just wondering, do they normally contact you about USMLE scores?

I'm taking Step 2-CK in about... 13 hours, 5 minutes!

:scared:

ARRGRGGRGGRGGAGGGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Skip Intro said:
I'm taking Step 2-CK in about... 13 hours, 5 minutes!

:scared:

ARRGRGGRGGRGGAGGGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!!!!!! stay calm..... :cool: and get ready to ROCK this thing.......

joaquin13 said:
does your dean's office actually contact you about your scores, jf? i go to a DO school as well, I was just wondering, do they normally contact you about USMLE scores?

Actually, I contacted my school and asked them if they received the grades, which they did. The grades go out electronically to the med schools every wednesday. I assume that I will be getting a hard copy tomorrow in the mail.

Good luck!

I took the exam on 8/20 and received my score yesterday (9/15) via the dean's office.

T-Minus 50 minutes!!!!

Here I go...

-Skip

P.S. Will tell everyone how it went when I come out the other side. I'm a little anxious, but definitely not as much as when I sat for Step 1.

Skip Intro said:
I'm a little anxious, but definitely not as much as when I sat for Step 1.

I should have been.

I don't know what others' experience has been, but I think I just got totally reamed. Maybe it's the standard experience, maybe it was just my bad luck. But, I had a good 2 dozen questions that had options to choose from "a" to "o" - that's right, they gave you 15 options to choose from. And, out of those you could only pick out maybe 7 or 8 that were obviously wrong.

This test, at least for me, was FAR harder than Step 1. And, I am surprised that the feedback I've gotten from a lot of friends has been how much easier it is. The majority of my questions were a full screen-full of text. I'd say about 70% of mine had lab values to review.

Some things you better know cold before you walk in there, and topics that I had several questions on:

- pregnant woman presenting with any various presentations of abdominal pain (e.g., bilious vomiting, sharp sudden onset, etc.)

- preventive medicine (e.g., what in a given list is the most significant risk factor for a particular disease, who should get vaccinated, etc.)

- HIV!!!! (**** me! I didn't think they were going to test so heavily on this! I barely reviewed it, and it was ALL over the place! Step 1 was totally misleading because I remember very few questions on HIV/AIDS)

- calculating sensitivity/specificity for various tests

- kid who can't bear weight on a leg (I got about 10 of those)

- inadequately treated hypertension, in all its manifestations

- hypersensitivity (i.e., types I - IV and what causes them)

- all the vasculitides (again, I had probably 10-15 questions just on that)

- where the heart murmurs are, what they are, what they mean, and what the "next best thing" to do is

- what to do if you find a solitary thyroid nodule

- bleeding from the vagina, and all its causes (and what you should do to investigate/treat)

- bleeding from the rectum, and all its causes (and what you should do to investigate/treat)

- those DAMN autosomal recessive/dominant disorders (the bane of my existence)

Also, what was not heavily tested (and that I spent too much time reviewing):

- drugs for bugs (a few questions, but VERY straightforward)
- derm
- surgery
- neuro (a few lesions here and there, but mostly very easy to pick out - nothing bizarre)

Let's just put it this way, I will be seriously surprised if I broke 200 on this test let alone passed it.

Good luck to everyone who hasn't taken it yet. Just be prepared to do a LOT of reading. I nearly ran out of time on every section. Like Step 1 after I had a bad first block, I thought I'd have a couple of easier blocks to make up for it. NOPE. This test was a monster!!! It's extremely long and tiring, and I'm just about ready to go and drink myself into a coma right now...

:(

-Skip

Seriously Skip, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try to learn from this.

Skip Intro said:
I should have been.

I don't know what others' experience has been, but I think I just got totally reamed. Maybe it's the standard experience, maybe it was just my bad luck. But, I had a good 2 dozen questions that had options to choose from "a" to "o" - that's right, they gave you 15 options to choose from. And, out of those you could only pick out maybe 7 or 8 that were obviously wrong.

This test, at least for me, was FAR harder than Step 1. And, I am surprised that the feedback I've gotten from a lot of friends has been how much easier it is. The majority of my questions were a full screen-full of text. I'd say about 70% of mine had lab values to review.

Some things you better know cold before you walk in there, and topics that I had several questions on:

- pregnant woman presenting with any various presentations of abdominal pain (e.g., bilious vomiting, sharp sudden onset, etc.)

- preventive medicine (e.g., what in a given list is the most significant risk factor for a particular disease, who should get vaccinated, etc.)

- HIV!!!! (**** me! I didn't think they were going to test so heavily on this! I barely reviewed it, and it was ALL over the place! Step 1 was totally misleading because I remember very few questions on HIV/AIDS)

- calculating sensitivity/specificity for various tests

- kid who can't bear weight on a leg (I got about 10 of those)

- inadequately treated hypertension, in all its manifestations

- hypersensitivity (i.e., types I - IV and what causes them)

- all the vasculitides (again, I had probably 10-15 questions just on that)

- where the heart murmurs are, what they are, what they mean, and what the "next best thing" to do is

- what to do if you find a solitary thyroid nodule

- bleeding from the vagina, and all its causes (and what you should do to investigate/treat)

- bleeding from the rectum, and all its causes (and what you should do to investigate/treat)

- those DAMN autosomal recessive/dominant disorders (the bane of my existence)

Also, what was not heavily tested (and that I spent too much time reviewing):

- drugs for bugs (a few questions, but VERY straightforward)
- derm
- surgery
- neuro (a few lesions here and there, but mostly very easy to pick out - nothing bizarre)

Let's just put it this way, I will be seriously surprised if I broke 200 on this test let alone passed it.

Good luck to everyone who hasn't taken it yet. Just be prepared to do a LOT of reading. I nearly ran out of time on every section. Like Step 1 after I had a bad first block, I thought I'd have a couple of easier blocks to make up for it. NOPE. This test was a monster!!! It's extremely long and tiring, and I'm just about ready to go and drink myself into a coma right now...

:(

-Skip

skip thanks alot for the feedback man.... actually my friend is the best student in our school, and he had a similar experience to yours... also he has not received his result as of yet... can you please tell me if you used the standard books - Kaplan notes, Crush the Boards (was this book useful if you used it??), Step II Secrets, and questions- USMLE World, Kaplan Qbank, NMS, or Qbook? if so can you please tell approximately how long you studied for, and approximately what youre scores were on each practice qbank? sorry to bombard you with all of these questions..... you are not the only one that feels this way recently believe me.... I am taking it soon enough though.. so I am right behind you...
best of luck to you man...... just try and find something else to think about besides this for right now..

I just spent the past 45 minutes typing a long reply... and I accidentally pushed Ctrl+something and lost it all! ARRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! +pissed+

I'll try to respond again later when I'm finished breaking stuff in my apartment! :mad:

Skip Intro said:
I just spent the past 45 minutes typing a long reply... and I accidentally pushed Ctrl+something and lost it all! ARRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! +pissed+

I'll try to respond again later when I'm finished breaking stuff in my apartment! :mad:
no worries man!!!!!! and I really look forward to youre reply......... this type of stuff happens.
thanks man.