USMLE step 2 timeline for rads interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Placebo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am just looking for some honest guidance and as I hope to be in your shoes next year I would value your advice..
I am a 4th year Medical Student applying into radiology.

My USMLE : 241

GRADES: lower 1st Quartile, 4: 80s rest 90s in all , in clinical : 2 grades in 80s , rest 90/+

OTHER: no special degrees, superb extra circulars, weak undergraduate "research experience".

LORS: have not asked yet

PLANS : apply to 30 schools, among top choices: Georgetown or Univ of Maryland I am looking for recommendation of when to take my USMLE2, I have September 15th - October 15th free - I was thinking around late October to take it. I do not have any time to study till then and I was particular curious as to if that would be too late and get me screened out of a few programs…or the scores (would be back late nov?) be early enough to maybe get me a few extra interviews.

Thanks for any advice and your time.

Members don't see this ad.

241 is hot. Wont hurt too much to take the USMLE Step II later. From what people are telling me ... good step I will buy you some interviews right off the bat.

Of course it may lock you out of some with no STEP II, but could also be a blessing for others. I think its a 50/50 thing here.

Do what ya 'feel' ... and whatever fits the timeline the best.

I'm wondering the same thing. My step 1 is >250, but I think I can get 250 on step 2ck. If I get a 240 on step 2, would it look bad that I dropped double digits? And one more question - would a 250 step 2 gain me anything, in radiology or ty/prelim?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question, but a different situation. If this has been asked before, I apologize! I am looking for some genuine advice, as colleagues of mine havent helped with the decision process so far.

I got a 234/98 on step I, and am from California originally, go to med school in chicago, and would like to come back to california for residency. clinical grades are half A's, half B's (A in med & surg, neuro, psych, fam med). Previous research in peds neuro (3 pubs, 2 abstracts). Current research in rads will result in 2 papers and 3 case reports, eventually, i think, maybe (I hope!). I am doing aways at a few places in california now.

does anyone have suggestions on when to take step 2? I have a month free (october) right now. Depending on whether I get approved for another elective, that free month may be september instead.

On another note, I am realistic, and I know california is very competitive, so my second choice region would be chicago. Can anyone comment on whether it is important to do an away elective in chicago itself, to show my interest in the area, or is going to school in that region enough to show ties to the region?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before, and if these seem like dumb questions. Most of the time when I read posts like this, I think the same thing, so please, be kind! Thanks in advance!

This comes up all the time and the answer is really simple:

1) If your Step 1 is 240+, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to take step 2 prior to interviewing! There is not a SINGLE PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY that will exclude you from an interview based on this score. If you are in the 240's, you would have to make 250's+ for it to help you, and even then it wouldn't matter that much. It's just not worth the risk. If you are in the 250's+, then there is no score on step 2 that can additionally help you.

2) If your Step 1 is between 230-240, then you have to decide. And in this case, you should ONLY attempt to take it prior to interviewing if you have ambitions to match at a TOP 25 upper tier program. Otherwise, it's not worth the risk. You can still get into very good programs with a step 1 score in this range.

3) If your Step 1 is between 220-230, you would be highly incouraged to take it prior to interviewing. With a score in this range, you are in all likelihood still will match, but it might limit your choices of programs somewhat.

4) If your Step 1 is below 220, you absolutely have to take it prior to interviewing.

So placebo and joe, don't take it! There is no point. PK, California is competitive, as is Chicago. However, you have ties to both areas, which helps. Your score is very solid, but not outstanding. It's probably a 50/50 thing for you. There is no right or wrong decision in your case.

Thanks for the reply. Does that count for prelim/transitional programs as well?