USMLE step 3 eligibility???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intern in Anesthesiology. :confused:
-Just wanted to know when exactly I'm eligible to take the Usmle step 3???
-What paperwork do I need to sign up? And also if there any great books that you can recommend for the step 3?
-Does kaplan step 3 have qbank?...if so ...is it any good?
-Any advice from someone who has already taken the exam would be great? -In terms of how it was different from the step 2...was it harder / same...hours involved..etc? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

sam786 said:
I'm an intern in Anesthesiology. :confused:
-Just wanted to know when exactly I'm eligible to take the Usmle step 3???
-What paperwork do I need to sign up? And also if there any great books that you can recommend for the step 3?
-Does kaplan step 3 have qbank?...if so ...is it any good?
-Any advice from someone who has already taken the exam would be great? -In terms of how it was different from the step 2...was it harder / same...hours involved..etc? :confused:

You can take step 3 now. Anytime during your internship/residency. You just have to have it passed before you can get an unrestricted license.

Paperwork is on the FSMB website. http://www.fsmb.org/

I didn't study one page for this test, took it in 4 hours flat each day. Made in between my scores from step 1 and 2.

Some states require that you complete 9 months to a year of internship before you can sit for Step 3. Others allow you to sit for it anytime, but require a year of internship (or two years of residency as is the case in my state) before you can get a medical license.

Did you check with the FSMB?

southerndoc said:
Some states require that you complete 9 months to a year of internship before you can sit for Step 3. Others allow you to sit for it anytime, but require a year of internship (or two years of residency as is the case in my state) before you can get a medical license.

Did you check with the FSMB?

Just say that you're "sitting" for California in the sign-up process. I took it mid-way through internship.

1) Yes, you can take it now. Apply thru CT.
2) Apply online theu FSMB.
3) Its good but you dont need it. Just practice the software for CCS.
4) Brush up the basics. A weeks study should be more than enuf to get a passing score.