Attempt in USMLE step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD11

Reaction score
Hi I'm an international medical graduate from India. I'd applied for Match 2022 in peds and recieved 5 interviews
During the match cycle, I gave USMLE step 3 and failed. I retook it in a month and a half and passed
While I thought that my interviews went well, I went unmatched this cycle
I'm planning to apply again next cycle.
Is getting pediatric clinical experience (hands on) in my home country prefered? Should I aim for a research position in the US? Any advice on what can be done to prepare for it and improve my profile is appreciated
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, hands-on experience is borderline mandatory in your case for two reasons. Firstly, programs are gonna wanna see that you've kept your clinical skills sharp during this gap year. Secondly, a strong letter from a clinical preceptor would be of great benefit. The failed Step 3 attempt looks bad and makes programs worried about future boards performance. A physician vouching for your clinical skills and knowledge would help put their minds at ease. So overall I'd argue that preference list should go:

US clinical experience > home country clinical experience > US research > everything else that is remotely relevant

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, hands-on experience is borderline mandatory in your case for two reasons. Firstly, programs are gonna wanna see that you've kept your clinical skills sharp during this gap year. Secondly, a strong letter from a clinical preceptor would be of great benefit. The failed Step 3 attempt looks bad and makes programs worried about future boards performance. A physician vouching for your clinical skills and knowledge would help put their minds at ease. So overall if argue that preference list should go:

US clinical experience > home country clinical Thanks for your reply.
Thanks your for your insight.
Considering non-US graduates are allowed to only get observerships, getting a hands on USCE would be difficult.
So my first option in that case would be to get clinical experience in home country.

Considering non-US graduates are allowed to only get observerships, getting a hands on USCE would be difficult.
So my first option in that case would be to get clinical experience in home country.
I'll admit, I don't know if US observership or home country clinical experience would be better. I'd have to defer to someone more directly involved in residency leadership.

What was your year of graduation, and what have you been doing since then?

Getting US Clinical Experience really is important as a non-US IMG. If you have continuously been in practice in your home country (ie, less worry about outright atrophy of your clinical skills), then I might try to do something to get more exposure to the US healthcare system. If on the other hand you have not been in clinical practice, then you should maybe consider doing whatever you can to get back to seeing patients.

There's no right answer here. I mean, there is a right answer, but it involves a time machine (go back in time 12-18 months, get some USCE, don't take Step 3, apply to more programs).

Honestly, you need to show your face in the US if you have any hope of matching here going forward. Research + Observership is probably the least bad option for you at this point. If you choose to stay in India and get clinical experience instead, you are likely going to remain in India. Which isn't bad, per se, just not necessarily what you were planning on.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your year of graduation, and what have you been doing since then?

Getting US Clinical Experience really is important as a non-US IMG. If you have continuously been in practice in your home country (ie, less worry about outright atrophy of your clinical skills), then I might try to do something to get more exposure to the US healthcare system. If on the other hand you have not been in clinical practice, then you should maybe consider doing whatever you can to get back to seeing patients.
I've had 3 months of USCE before I graduated in 2020. Another 2 months of observership during the match season. In the mean time I've been practicing in India continuously with only a gap of 3-4 months after my graduation.

I've had 3 months of USCE before I graduated in 2020. Another 2 months of observership during the match season. In the mean time I've been practicing in India continuously with only a gap of 3-4 months after my graduation. The clinical experience here in India is not peds related though