USMLE step one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whynotMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can one pass the USMLE , even if they had a sub 20 MCAT ( average in sciences, and poor verbal reasonings due to English as a second language, I just retook the mcat but my verbal is not improving. I just don't want to keep wasting my time, if MCAT is key to becoming a doctor and I can't even do that, so I am not sure If I am wasting my time and life or not, but i would love to become a primary doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

At least try for mid-20s for the DOs to take an interest. If you're still in early-mid undergrad, the best bit of advice I received concerning DO schools was that they want to see an upward trend in grades. So, if you're doing OK in school, try to bring that up asap and keep it up...don't let the MCAT bring you down...don't let your grades drop in 3rd/4th year.

If you're sub 20, clearly Verbal isn't your only problem. Testing is a huge reality of Med school and Residency. The sooner you address it, the better.

Did you look into other resources/prep material? EK's verbal passages book helped me raise my VR from 9 to 13.

I would STRONGLY advise against attending an international medical school unless you would be happy practicing in that country. As a DO, with a low COMLEX/Step 1 score, you'd still match somewhere. As an IMG, I foresee two scenarios for you:

1. Caribbean: They will toss you out at the end of the 1st year (warning after the first trimester, a passed appeal after the second, and expulsion after the third) after bleeding you dry of $60k. It's what they do. They have a ridiculous attrition rate and if you can't keep up with the tests (which you obviously have issues with), they will toss you out on your behind.

2. Pretty much the rest of the world in places where you'd get in (E-Eu, Asia, Etc.): You somehow pass their tests with multiple retakes and you fail the Step or barely pass it, and you're screwed again, all of this with the situation for FMGs looking bleaker every year.

I don't say this to be cruel, but this is your reality. If you're serious about med school and practicing in the States, get a DO mentor, and get that MCAT over 24, pref closer to 28.

Last edited:
If your MCAT is sub-20, you would have a hard time getting into medical school. You would have to go to an international med school, and risk being dropped from the program if you couldn't handle the material. But if you think you can handle it, go for it.