USMLE Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How did you answer?

• Question 1: Yes, Question 2: Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Question 1: Yes, Question 2: No

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pox in a box

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On ERAS, how are you answering the 2 questions on certifying your USMLE transcript?

Please only answer if you have not taken Step 2 CK at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

You better have a good answer if they ask you why you didn't release your score during interviews (especially since they already know the reason why you would put down NO). It is common sense if you think about it. They know that the reason you didn't release your score is because you want to guard yourself just in case the score is low. Guess what? If you take Step 2 in Sept, Oct, or Nov, they will wonder if you will EVER release your score by Rank order lists in February. Plus, if you don't release your score by February they will know that your Step 2 score is crap. For those poker fans out there, this is called "reading". Residency Directors are not stupid. If they don't get a Step 2 score they will assume that your Step 2 score is below the Step 1 score you have on file and rank you accordingly.

One more thing, if you have already registered to take Step 2, isn't it likely the current USMLE transcript will have the expected testdate for Step 2? Once they have the testdate you are pretty much obligated to release your score (regardless of the score) since they know you have taken the exam.

Consider this during your interviews in November or December.

Interviewer: Have you taken Step 2? (you better not lie to this question)
You: Yes
Interviewer: What did you score?
You: 215
Interviewer: Why didn't you release your score?
You: (You better have a good answer)

Here is the interesting strategy of NOT releasing your Step 2 score. People that take Step 2 during the fall of the senior year tend to have Step 1 scores that are not impressive (there are exceptions but it is few) thus they tell themselves I'll take Step 2 and not release the scores. If I like the score than I will release it.

Guess what? If your Step 1 score is not impressive your interviewer will ask if you have taken Step 2. Hence, you will have to tell him your score anyway. There goes your composure during the interview. You can stick a fork at that time. You will continue to talk but the interview is pretty much over once your confidence is shot.

You better have a good answer if they ask you why you didn't release your score during interviews (especially since they already know the reason why you would put down NO). It is common sense if you think about it. They know that the reason you didn't release your score is because you want to guard yourself just in case the score is low. Guess what? If you take Step 2 in Sept, Oct, or Nov, they will wonder if you will EVER release your score by Rank order lists in February. Plus, if you don't release your score by February they will know that your Step 2 score is crap. For those poker fans out there, this is called "reading". Residency Directors are not stupid. If they don't get a Step 2 score they will assume that your Step 2 score is below the Step 1 score you have on file and rank you accordingly.

One more thing, if you have already registered to take Step 2, isn't it likely the current USMLE transcript will have the expected testdate for Step 2? Once they have the testdate you are pretty much obligated to release your score (regardless of the score) since they know you have taken the exam.

Consider this during your interviews in November or December.

Interviewer: Have you taken Step 2? (you better not lie to this question)
You: Yes
Interviewer: What did you score?
You: 215
Interviewer: Why didn't you release your score?
You: (You better have a good answer)

Here is the interesting strategy of NOT releasing your Step 2 score. People that take Step 2 during the fall of the senior year tend to have Step 1 scores that are not impressive (there are exceptions but it is few) thus they tell themselves I'll take Step 2 and not release the scores. If I like the score than I will release it.

Guess what? If your Step 1 score is not impressive your interviewer will ask if you have taken Step 2. Hence, you will have to tell him your score anyway. There goes your composure during the interview. You can stick a fork at that time. You will continue to talk but the interview is pretty much over once your confidence is shot.

Do you really think that an interviewer really cares this much? The interviewer relies on the person (most likely the PD) to weed out poor academic applicants from ERAS. I doubt an interviewer is going to waste his breath browbeating scores whenver this can be done any time during the process. If they are really that curious, they can check the USMLE scores (Steps 1 and 2) prior to match after the rank-order lists are created.

I, for one, didn't indicate anything regarding Step 2. I haven't registered and haven't taken them (neither Step 2 CK or CS). I only indicated that I "passed" Step 1. I think it is stupid to indicate "I'm going to take Step 2 in <month>." If p53 is right, they'd be more likely to ask, "How'd you do in <month>?" and thus that's my logic. By not indicating anything regarding Step 2, there's no possible way my USMLE transcript can mention anything regarding time I'm registered for Step 2.

So, I answered "Yes" for the first and "No" for the second. That gives me the power, at least for the interviews, to protect a potential flub. Anyone have any comments?

Our dean's office recommends that we answer yes to the first, no to the second.

Our dean's office recommends that we answer yes to the first, no to the second.

Rather than telling you to jump over the bridge. Let's use a hypothetical situation.

For argument's sake, you scored a 216 on Step 1, and put down NO for question 2.

You take Step 2 in October and score a 204.

What do you do?

Using the logic of not releasing the score than you must assume you would not release the 204 until after the rank order list has been released by the program.

However, during the Rank Order List meeting in February the committee will wonder about your Step 2 score (especially since you only scored a 216). One committee member will bring up the point if this person did not take Step 2 with a Step 1 of 216 than it was a reflection of poor judgment. Furthermore, if you are applying for a clinical career such as medicine, psych, peds, surgery, ob/gyn, or family medicine they consider Step 2 as being more important than Step 1. There is a reason Step 2 is known as Clinical Knowledge. And you decided not to take it or you decided not to release it. What does that say about how serious you are about residency applications?

In this condition, the committee has only one choice, they will assume that you scored much worse on Step 2 than Step 1. Thus, they will rank you with the assumption your Step 2 was below 200 and that you might have been trying to hide it.

If you are not going to release your score it is because you lack confidence in yourself and believe it might hurt your application. By NOT releasing your transcript committee members will assume the worst and rank you accordingly.

You lose by not releasing and you lose by releasing your score if you have a 204. Why make it worse by trying to hide it?

With all that said, I see one exception. If someone scores above a 240 on Step 1 and decides not to release the score. The programs will not wonder about your Step 2 because they know that you have nothing to prove. Thus, you can take Step 2 in October and not release that score until after the Rank order list (I personally would not even take Step 2 until February). On the other hand, anyone with a Step 2 score below 220 the programs will want a Step 2 score from you. If you don't provide it, they will assume you are an idiot for not taking Step 2 or you scored much worse on Step 2 compared to Step 1.

What I am saying is that if you have a Step 1 score below 220, you are obligated to release your score anyway. Why put down no?

What I am saying is that if you have a Step 1 score below 220, you are obligated to release your score anyway. Why put down no?

I suppose I partially agree with you on that point in that specific situation. The majority of folks at my school scores above 220 so perhaps that's why our dean's office recommends yes to the first question and no to the second.

However, even in that specific situation, there is really no harm in refusing to automatically release scores. That way you can wait for your score to get back and then decide the best road to take regarding releasing your score. What if you failed Step 2 and will have to retake it? Then I'm pretty sure you'd be better off not releasing that score.

And if you did worse on Step 2 than on Step 1? It probably depends on the specific situation, but I think in general it's probably better not to release that score. I think you overestimate how closely a residency committee is going to microanalyze the dates you took step 2 and whether your score is back yet and why you didn't release your scores and on and on and on....

Finally, I disagree with your statement that most clinical fields consider step 2 to be more important than step 1. Most of them don't even require it for residency application. I agree that step 2 probably is more relevant than step 1, but residency directors know that many students don't study much for step 2 and many don't take it until late in their senior year. When calculating applicant "Scores" for the rank list and for interview invites, most programs only use the step 1 score.