USMLE WORLD during 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keyser112

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the latter part of my 2nd year and had a question. I hear people saying not to do USMLE WORLD until you are ready to prep for exams as it is the best indicator of your progress/how well you will do on the actual exam.

If this is the case, it means that it is loaded with valuable info.

So why wouldn't I try to complete it and annotate First Aid with info I did not know/is not in First Aid while still in my 2nd year?

Wouldn't this be a great way to get a jump start on my studying?

I suppose I will not be able to use it as a predictor for my scores/progress, but can't I use the NMBE exams for this?

It seems to me that by doing USMLE WORLD now (and then again during studying for the step) I am only doing myself a favor.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the latter part of my 2nd year and had a question. I hear people saying not to do USMLE WORLD until you are ready to prep for exams as it is the best indicator of your progress/how well you will do on the actual exam.

If this is the case, it means that it is loaded with valuable info.

So why wouldn't I try to complete it and annotate First Aid with info I did not know/is not in First Aid while still in my 2nd year?

Wouldn't this be a great way to get a jump start on my studying?

I suppose I will not be able to use it as a predictor for my scores/progress, but can't I use the NMBE exams for this?

It seems to me that by doing USMLE WORLD now (and then again during studying for the step) I am only doing myself a favor.

Thoughts?

If you are in the latter part of 2nd year, I would be studying for boards by now. Hopefully you have built enough of a cushion to sacrifice your school grades a little.
Alternatively, if you get > 4 weeks off b/w end of 2nd yr & when rotations start I would postpone hard-core studying & go with what you say i.e. Get UW, do practice Qs, LEARN, & then use NBMEs as a predictor. UW is much better as a learning tool than a predictor. Just do Qs in tutor mode & group then according to subject (this helps when reviewing the Qs). If you plan of re-doing Qs, buy a year long subscription so you can reset them once finished.

Good Luck

I hate to break it to you, but you cannot "jump start" step studying. You can only build your base of knowledge that helps you when you finally sit down for 4-6 weeks to review for step.

Let me explain. There is so much information to remember for the step that you cannot expect to remember something you learn in 2nd year 4 months later. You can follow along with review books and you can certainly do as many questions as possible (starting with USMLErx and then using UW for the last 2-3 months) but you score depends on one thing....................

Your last 4-6 weeks before the USMLE and how efficiently and diligently you review the material. There is a reason why people's scores start dropping after 6 weeks of studying...you forget things after that time...

USMLErx for now....UW 2-3 months prior. Follow along with BRS in classes.