USMLE World Scores and Step I Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm stealing this from the Step II forum. I've been searching and I haven't really found anything up to date on the correlation between UW and Step I scores.

So, I'm wondering if the old UW% x 2.3 + 84= Score estimate, still holds true?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I'm stealing this from the Step II forum. I've been searching and I haven't really found anything up to date on the correlation between UW and Step I scores.

Way off for me. I only had a 60% on UW after I completed everything, which would have correlated to a 222. Not going to give my specific score, but I ended up >245 (the 1 SD mark).

Members don't see this ad :)
70% first pass, 251 for real exam (80% second pass predicted 268 LOL). Predicted is 245, so I did a bit better than UW estimates.

It's tough to compare UWorld scores to the real thing because many students use the question bank so differently. If you do UWorld after studying everything or reading First Aid, your average will be high and applying that formula will likely overestimate your score. On the other hand, if you use UWorld from the beginning when your fund of knowledge is weak (as I did), your cum average will be lower than the scores you get on the later practice blocks and may actually fit the formula.

I think my UWorld cum average was a 62% at the end and I was maybe getting in the 70s most of the last week or two. Formula would say I should get a 228 or so. I ended up with a 237 on the real thing, so if you're like me (n=1) your Step I score may likely be somewhere between what the formula predicts based on your cum average and what it predicts based on what you're getting towards the end when your body of knowledge is almost complete.

Oh and obviously, all this assumes you do timed, unused blocks of 46 questions.

The equation held fairly true for me. I'm not comfortable posting my score but I'll say it was in the top 50%

Seems to be true in my case:

first pass UW = 70%, which predicts 245 based on your equation, actual = 244.

I like aggregating data.

All random, unused, timed questions, 46 at a time - 68%. Step 1 - 252.

The variance between tests was huge though. In my 10 days or so, my high was 84%, low was 58% or so. So this is definitely a "take the median of your last 7 tests" sort of equation.

Edit: And since other people are throwing it down, I did two NBMEs. My school had us do one in mid may (ungraded, so I took it cold) and I did one more (whatever the newest form was) 12 days or so before the test. Scores were 215 and 250, respectively.

Last edited:
last year

1st pass ~70% (don't remember exactly). 2nd pass - 90%

Actual score - 260

The magic formula actually correlates with my 1st pass and my 1st NBME (before I started any dedicated studying or my 2nd pass - 245 predicted vs 244 actual)

76% at the end. All were 46x2/day. Finished them in 23 days. All random and unused.

Real score 257. Predicted UWSA 258 10 days out.

Members don't see this ad :)
73%, 1st pass, random blocks, but mostly UNtimed in tutor mode

Prediction is 73*2.3+84 = 252

Scored 252 on the real deal

Very interesting :)
Sometimes I'm excited about this being true but then the next minute UW hands me my gluts...
How do you not get down about when it goes "poorly", written in quotes because I guess it's all relative :)

UW 71%
UWSA 1 - 4 weeks out 234
UWSA 2 - 1 week out 254

Step 1 - 253

I am bumping this. It has been over two years and wondering if people are getting the same results. The equation appears to be somewhat accurate. I would think you would use your last 4 (or 7) block average for this and not your overall % which could be low if you have not reset it.

I am bumping this. It has been over two years and wondering if people are getting the same results. The equation appears to be somewhat accurate. I would think you would use your last 4 (or 7) block average for this and not your overall % which could be low if you have not reset it.
i personally would use the last 15-20 blocks, not the last 7. yes, there are 7 blocks in the exam, but you are trying to get a an average for your performance at the end of the study period, and frankly the last 7 blocks is just not a large enough sample.

Reactions: 1 users